Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
I am allways tryting new setups and the conclusion is as we all know its either powerful or long lasting!
With long lasting I can manage to get 600 shots from Thera gold , with powerful its only 150-200 shots.
It means that I actualy believe I shoot the 9.5mm ball with enough speed/force to be able to hunt something with it but it does not lasts long .Every band I install is a little dif due to attaching so by the time I get used to it and shoot well my band will break.
So the question is again ; How long does your hunting setup last (flatband tube name it) and what you shoot with it
Any extra info is appreciated.
Thank you

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
When I am set up to shoot at about 250FPS with the Nova Star, I get about 150/200 shots on a set of rubber without retying. When all other things are equal, the faster that you shoot, the shorter your band life. -- Tex

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,426 Posts
When I am set up to shoot at about 250FPS with the Nova Star, I get about 150/200 shots on a set of rubber without retying. When all other things are equal, the faster that you shoot, the shorter your band life. -- Tex
I've also found that it impairs accuracy...

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
A little, but not much with the Nova Star. -- Tex

·
Banned
388 Posts
the rubber must be tunes to the ammo used ,also the manufacture of the bands is very important.

if you would like a free sample hunter band (new style) just pm me.

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
I use Linatex 1/16" thick cut with 3/4" at the fork and tapered to 1/2" at the pouch and it is a good performer for hunting. It isn't the fastest speed shooter, but it has plenty of power to sail a .440 lead ball to stop a bunny, etc. in its' tracks. If you tie at the pouch with a rubber band it lasts longer. I am shooting some 1/8" Linatex from Baumstaam right now that has tons of power for getting lead going, but it is a bit slower, but still gets the job done, same taper. If I had my choice, I would try some of Tex shooters express bands or Fish's Thera gold hunter bands, tied with rubber at the pouch.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use Linatex 1/16" thick cut with 3/4" at the fork and tapered to 1/2" at the pouch and it is a good performer for hunting. It isn't the fastest speed shooter, but it has plenty of power to sail a .440 lead ball to stop a bunny, etc. in its' tracks. If you tie at the pouch with a rubber band it lasts longer. I am shooting some 1/8" Linatex from Baumstaam right now that has tons of power for getting lead going, but it is a bit slower, but still gets the job done, same taper. If I had my choice, I would try some of Tex shooters express bands or Fish's Thera gold hunter bands, tied with rubber at the pouch.
It happened to me that I made a setup tied it with rubber , put it away in the drawer .Around 2 weeks later when I looked at it the rubber was cut on both side. Conclusion for me is that rubber can cut it as well.
My tieing is not as professional as fish does on his bands so my guess it is very important how you tie it with rubber .

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
How can it affect accuracy? I dont understand.
[/quote]
It is because a long fork extension is more unstable than a short one. The tips are more likely to move when a shot is released before the shot is gone. -- Tex

·
Registered
691 Posts
How can it affect accuracy? I dont understand.
[/quote]
It is because a long fork extension is more unstable than a short one. The tips are more likely to move when a shot is released before the shot is gone. -- Tex
[/quote]

Sorry, I thought that Sam was talking about powerfull bands affect accuracy. I have a P51 extended slingshot it shoots good but not as good as a regular slingshot.
Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
IMHO Straight off the shelf slingshot tubes with factory pouches are the way to go, they last years, they;re easy to re set your gear up so it's more or less the same after replacement.

If you're building a real workhorse type slingshot then you don't want it to be too fragile, and for me , home-cut therabands are just too temperamental.
Especially given that in the heat of the moment your nice smooth draw is going to go to sh!t and you're going to be torqueing the thing all over the place.

JMHO YMMV
OMG,WTF,BBQ.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I think practice has alot to do with it My tubes last for a very long time now,I get very good power and use 1745* fixed 4 strand tubing and never pull to the max.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts