Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A .22 short round typically will generate about 70 lb/ft, and we know that is sufficient at very close range, but not reliably from a distance. Forum policy has long been, no discussion about shooting people. For that reason, I edited your opening post.
Sorry about that, I didn't know about that rule and will not use that wording in the future 😉

· Super Moderator
5,072 Posts
It would be interesting, especially for non head shots on large game.
I imagine the energy required would be insane, with regards to actually pulling bands that can produce it
Several people, including at least one teen-age girl, have killed larger game with slingshots shooting arrows, but it would require a very stout set of bands to do it with a ball.

· Super Moderator
5,072 Posts
the hodges catapult gun 1850s 11mm lead ball 350fps supposed to kill mid size pigs theres mentions of it on the forum in older posts
That's 32.5 lb/ft, about the same as a .22 short. There's not a lot of information about the Hodges on the web. The thread you referred to is here: 1850s Hodges catapult gun

· Super Moderator
1,892 Posts
Some perspective- building on what @Henry the Hermit mentioned (22 short =~70 ft lbs)- you can get a lot of info from simple ballistics apps free for phone or computer. Plug some numbers in and see how your favorite sling and ammo compare to some other things.

a 3/8" steel (55 grains) moving 250 fps (pretty respectable sling setup) = ~7.6 ft lbs, or ~1/10th of a 22 short

A 40 lb bow shooting a 400 grain arrow at 150 fps (pretty modest bow) =~ 20 ft lbs

A 50 lb bow shooting a 500 grain arrow at 175 fps (pretty good trad bow), ~34 ft lbs

22 LR high velocity, ~120 ft lbs

Note, the slings are definitely not toys and should never be shot at people. However when considering the size of game that might be taken with them, the comparisons above may be informative.

For slings, getting over 20 ft lbs and earning a Power Ranger badge is a pretty good feat.

· Registered
135 Posts
Some perspective- building on what @Henry the Hermit mentioned (22 short =~70 ft lbs)- you can get a lot of info from simple ballistics apps free for phone or computer. Plug some numbers in and see how your favorite sling and ammo compare to some other things.

a 3/8" steel (55 grains) moving 250 fps (pretty respectable sling setup) = ~7.6 ft lbs, or ~1/10th of a 22 short

A 40 lb bow shooting a 400 grain arrow at 150 fps (pretty modest bow) =~ 20 ft lbs

A 50 lb bow shooting a 500 grain arrow at 175 fps (pretty good trad bow), ~34 ft lbs

22 LR high velocity, ~120 ft lbs

Note, the slings are definitely not toys and should never be shot at people. However when considering the size of game that might be taken with them, the comparisons above may be informative.

For slings, getting over 20 ft lbs and earning a Power Ranger badge is a pretty good feat.
what about penertration, you no the saying slingshots kill with blunt force trauma, but even though it might be less ft lbs in some cases a 7mm lead ball doing 400fps might be better than a 11mm steel doing 300fps like i said in some cases, at 20 meters a 10mm steel ball doing 310fps goes clean through and out the other side of a steel milo tin with ease.

· Super Moderator
1,892 Posts
what about penertration, you no the saying slingshots kill with blunt force trauma, but even though it might be less ft lbs in some cases a 7mm lead ball doing 400fps might be better than a 11mm steel doing 300fps like i said in some cases, at 20 meters a 10mm steel ball doing 310fps goes clean through and out the other side of a steel milo tin with ease.
Penetration vs blunt force is always an interesting discussion. I am not aware of an easy way to compare blunt vs penetrating (like a broadhead arrow) and the other impacting (like a large slingshot ball).

Although the point is well taken. A modest 40 lb bow with a broadhead will easily take a deer while doing the same with a blunt tipped arrow seems like a foolish thing to try.

· Registered
461 Posts
Penetration vs blunt force is the key isn't it?
Slingshots can't penetrate unless using small balls at high fps, but there is limited energy there because of the projectile (lack of weight).
A 33" arrow with a broadhead is a flying knife, High Desert Flipper is accurate with his power figures because I've got a 50lb recurve and it generates almost exactly 34flbs.
As mentioned I've got a 40ftlb starship that shoots 1" steel balls.
- Now, which would you rather be shot with?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts