Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Mr. Mars
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how many of you can shoot ambidextrous? If so, are the techniques the same for you both ways and do you have any advice?
If you can't, have you ever tried? I myself am a little reluctant to try. I already smashed my thumb once learning and had a couple frame strikes so I don't really want to again.
I am thinking of trying with one of my indestructible frames and light band's.

·
Mojave Mo
4,840 Posts
When I was young my Pops encouraged me to learn and practice with both hands. He said it was good for the brain. The real reason is he wanted me to be a switch-hitting catcher for the SF Giants. What I have now is a tired brain, original knees, and a sketchy rotator cuff that makes my throws to second a little lofty now!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
I shoot both ways. I prefer left-hand hold only because I'm right-handed but both work fine. I have purposely shot both ways through the years but, because I shoot instinctively, I never thought about it much. In the early years I shot mostly naturals and I would sit in my truck after work on a lonely stretch of road and shoot out the driver's side window and the passenger window. Offset naturals required different holds for right and left hand shooting. The destruction of two expensive mirrors and then, finally, clipping the top 1/8 inch of a mostly dropped window and having it shatter inside my door helped me modulate my obsession. (As an aside it also taught my alot about a smooth release and a proper pouch.)

Since you asked for advice let me give you this. This will only apply if you shoot instinctively:

Look at your target. I mean really look at it. Don't look at the leaf. Look at the little spot on the leaf. Don't look at the tree, look at the little spot on the little bit of bark. [Don't look at the rabbit, look at the rabbit's eye]

Keeping your eye on the little bitty target, come to your full draw. Without wasting time and trying to "aim", stabalize your pouch hold and "swirl" your slingshot a little bit and quickly settle where it feels comfortable and at that moment smoothly release. - Keeping your eye on the target the whole time - even after you release pause a moment keeping your eye on the target.

Remember my mirrors and keep the slingshot square to the target and release smooth but fast since there is no sense settling and trying to "feel it better" when you're shooting instinctively.

I hope it works for you. The beauty of instinctive is that, within reason, range changes and light changes don't matter much.

·
Premium Member
3,230 Posts
I can...prefer left hand hold.

I used to ride shotgun a lot grow up.

It's been awhile...I may try again after this weekend...also with a not so special slingshot.

·
aka CYBORG
1,997 Posts
For me to aim, it's left hand hold, right eye dominant, left eye closed - only way that works for me.

Bloody hand wounds can take the fun out of shooting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts