Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
So Many Marbles ------------- So Little Time ;-)
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 3D printer but have not used it in a while, Just wondering who here is shooting a 3D printed SS ? Did you design it for tubes or bands. I'm trying to find the one I made some time ago ;- )

If you have a pic, I'd love to see them.
------------
Found a pic, I'm going to make the forks wider for flats and extent the grip about another 1.5 inches ;- )

wll

·
Super Moderator
1,835 Posts
I have never tried 3D printing but have wondered about it for frames- seems like it would be an awesome way to customize frames for things like hand size, fork width, etc.. I have also wondered if the resins used are strong enough to make safe frames- I have no idea but would love to hear people's thoughts.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have some made by Monroe ( Palmettoflyer ) but he has a method where he reinforces them with a layered construction technique that incorporates steel rods. …..the green with black core on left.
Monroe does beautiful work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Darrell, thanks for posting those pictures. I was going to search for some pictures to post.
I've made several PFS Mules, PFS Colts, PFS Hunter, Pitbull, Mules, and all my router table templates are 3D printed.

·
4,272 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I've seen 3 different people try them and they shattered if hit 😕👎🤕🎯so for kids or shooters that are just starting I think 3d printed is a bad idea. 🎯 but!!!!! I seen a video on YouTube about a year ago and this guy had supposedly 3d printed this catty and he was actually trying to break the thing and couldn't 🤷 but I cannot find this video again like 🎯👊👌👍

·
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For some reason my 3D printer is not playing fair and has a "Tude". Once I find the issue I will print and show !

wll

·
Registered
617 Posts
Saftey glasses a must for all dling shit shooting and maybe hockey full face for
3d printed, imho!
Never shot one never will no need
ukj

Reactions: skarrd

·
Registered
384 Posts
It really does depend on the design, the slicing method employed and the material.
Some filaments can be very brittle, but PLA+ is very good stuff.
I deliberately tried to break my printed folding slingshot and all I could do was bend the arms, they did not break.
Using PLA+ 205C nozzle and 85% infill the results are very strong.

If you want to get started buy a Creality Ender 3 Pro (should be about $250 or so), some PLA+ filament.
Use TinkerCAD to do your designs and the slicer software that comes bundled with the printer.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I use the Creality Ender regular model but I have done a lot of upgrades to it. It is like all hobbies that you will spend as much money as you are willing to do. There is a learning curve to get good consistent prints and a good work process. I have had good results with PLA, but prefer the stability of PETG. My pics above are all done with PETG filament.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The Creality printers are really good. I got into it because a colleague was 3d printing, he started early on and by the time he'd got a decent set-up he'd pretty much upgraded or replaced every part of the printer he originally bought. The Ender 3 Pro came up in my searches as the one that has everything you need already built in and this has proved to be the case. I haven't had to change, tweak or upgrade any part of it to get good consistent results.

Reactions: skarrd

·
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It really does depend on the design, the slicing method employed and the material.
Some filaments can be very brittle, but PLA+ is very good stuff.
I deliberately tried to break my printed folding slingshot and all I could do was bend the arms, they did not break.
Using PLA+ 205C nozzle and 85% infill the results are very strong.

If you want to get started buy a Creality Ender 3 Pro (should be about $250 or so), some PLA+ filament.
Use TinkerCAD to do your designs and the slicer software that comes bundled with the printer.
Yes, I have the same printer and a Prusa i3 but the Prusa is being a pain right now, something I'm doing wrong for sure !!. One PLA + --- It is great stuff eassy to print and tough as heck !

wll

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.