Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built two "starships" with big fork extensions recently but was quite disappointed with the speed/power from them. I have only done some rough experiments so far but I'd estimate that the big fork extensions resulted in speed increases of 10% or less. I have tried the slingshots with flat and tubular rubber, heavy and light ammo. Given that a big extended fork slingshot is far more bulky than one without a fork extension, I am wondering if the gain in power is worth it.

This evening I built a slingshot that uses the same fork and design as the starships but with 0 fork extension. My slingshots are assembled using bolts so parts swap easily. I plan to test this 0 extension slingshot and the two starships using the same rubber and ammo type to see how much more speed I'm getting from the extended forks. I'll have to use different length rubber for each slingshot so that the percentage stretch is constant.

Has anybody done an experiment like this? Does anyone have a comment on how much extra power you get from draw length extensions whether from starship designs or from roller designs such as the Combow?

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
I get about 25% or more with my nova, but you can get the same power with a classic by over-drawing (like the butterfly draw) the same distance. The one thing that a well designed extended fork (either straight or folded) will do for most folks is give better accuracy than over-drawing for the same speed. I also get better band life with the nova with the same draw because of less band slap on the tips. The Saunders Wrist Rocket Pro will give about 10%, but has less band slap at the tips also because of its design. Tex

1 - 2 of 2 Posts