Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped shooting slingshots for a while, to delve into archery, and now that I took them up again, I noticed some very interesting things. Being away for a while really helped put things into perspective! I now know without a doubt that I much prefer an extended draw. Fixed anchor really makes me feel cramped. With 3/4 butta I feel FREE, and I really have fun! Yeah, my accuracy suffers a lot when shooting floating anchor, but who cares? I enjoy it, I LOVE it! I also love the fact that I can shoot any frame now, whereas when shooting fixed anchor I was pretty much limited to 95mm + fork widths, preferably 10cm+. Now I can shoot whatever I like, ttf, ott, low forks, high forks, narrow, wide, it just doesn't matter!
Its like I discovered a whole new world!
Ok ok, to be perfectly honest, I do yearn for the time when my skills with 3/4 butta will match my fixed anchor style...but it'll get there, and it'll get there ENJOYABLY!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have the right attitude now . The break served you well .
Yes, it did help me see slingshots in a healthy way. You always keep saying to everyone to "have fun", and I never understood what you really meant, untill now. Now I know exactly why this is your usual recommendation, and it's the only way to really improve on anything in life, not just slingshots!
I always had your advice in my mind btw, so, thank you Master Treefork ????

·
Amateur
2,576 Posts
Yup! It's all about having fun, man!!

Just out of curiosity... When you shoot fixed anchor, what is your anchor point? I'm guessing you use corner of mouth or cheek? I primarily shoot fixed anchor and anchor on my tragus (the little flap in front of the opening of the ear). The fork width that works for me is 75 - 85mm, with a sweet spot right around 80 - 82mm. I use the corner of the top fork tip for an aiming reference and when I have good form and a smooth release, it puts me right on the center of my target.

I see this 95mm fork width referenced a good bit, from individuals and manufacturers and retailers, claiming to be the best or ideal width for anchor point/reference shooting. Perhaps this should be qualified to shooting from a certain anchor point because 95mm does not work for me and my style. I'm guessing it has to do with the height of the pouch hold hand with relation to where the eyes naturally line up to the fork tip?

Occasionally, I do shoot 3/4 and sometimes full butterfly just for fun, but if I'm actually trying to hit something, I use my anchor point. Just some thoughts.

Reactions: Tag

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Slingdude, I anchor my thumb under the cheek bone, making a bone to bone connection, as it is the most consistent anchor for me. With this anchor, and 10cm wide forks, I am dead on target. If I anchor at the corner of my mouth, I shoot way high.
The reason wide forks are better for a fixed anchor, is that they shoot low, and you can always lower your anchor to raise your POI, but you can't raise very far to lower it if narrow forks shoot high already.
Now, everything depends. Face shape, eye position, even elbow position or some speed bump etc, so there is always the personal factor in.
For example, if I keep my head straight up, no tilt, and anchor at the cheekbone, I need 13cm forks to be on target!
Anyway, that's why I decided to adopt a floater anchor, as it gets rid of many complications. Yes, it needs more effort to become as accurate, but the advantages of the longer draw are many. The biggest advantage, for me, is that I enjoy it more :)

·
Aimstinctivist
774 Posts
Ahh Skropi, You remember the S.S.O.P.? You're about three weeks away from becoming a Marksman. You're 3/4 butterfly now! Soon the small hairs on the first knuckles of the middle and ring fingers of your left hand will begin to sense the target as you begin to draw. You'll tap a rhythm you didn't know you had. Your release is about to be governed by the Universal Dynamic! Don't fight it. LET IT HAPPEN!

Tell me your thumbnail is facing the ground when you release. :bouncy:

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahh Skropi, You remember the S.S.O.P.? You're about three weeks away from becoming a Marksman. You're 3/4 butterfly now! Soon the small hairs on the first knuckles of the middle and ring fingers of your left hand will begin to sense the target as you begin to draw. You'll tap a rhythm you didn't know you had. Your release is about to be governed by the Universal Dynamic! Don't fight it. LET IT HAPPEN!

Tell me your thumbnail is facing the ground when you release. :bouncy:
Lol mate! You described the feeling perfectly! I am not there yet, as far as accuracy is concerned, but I do feel that addictive feeling, and that's the reason I am not going back!
Now that you mention pouch hold....well, I am experimenting a bit with that. I tried thumb down but didn't go very well. Today I shot mostly with a 90° turn. Keep in mind I haven't shot a slingshot from February.....

·
Aimstinctivist
774 Posts
Straight up brother, once I started to float I knew there was no going back. Fixed anchor puts me in jail. Float lets me feel the target in my fingertips. I admire the guys who shoot so well with fixed- I don't have it in me. I'd love to shoot full butta. The best I ever saw was MJ. That flexibility disappears with age I guess. Congrats dude, your enthusiasm is contagious. :)

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its not me....it's the slingshots I tell you!!!
I can shoot fixed anchor very well, as you said, I feel like I am in jail, so I chose the most satisfying way to shoot!
Now the only thing that remains to be found, is pouch hold. I simply dont know what works best yet!

·
Registered
566 Posts
A comfortable pouch hold that I can settle on for 3/4 and full butterfly eludes me too, but I’m with you on the fun part. Love that sharp crack of rubber as it belts past my earhole!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rosco, I finally settled for the classic thumb down pouch hold. There is only way to settle for a specific way to hold the pouch, and that is to hold it in the way that it allows you to feel the pouch well, wether you hold it in an angle ot not. Do not choose a hold that may brings you quick results, as it is bound to be inconsistent.

Reactions: rosco

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe it's because I shoot for fun, but I find it depends on what I feel like on the day. I shoot anything from fixed to under the ear, semi-butterfly, sometimes in between.
Oh yeah, dont get me wrong, I dont discriminate when it comes to slingshots! I like all styles as well, and as matter of fact, I am still shooting some fixed anchor. Its just that I enjoy it less, so today, was the last day I shot fixed :)

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
You and HullaBalloo got me wanting to try 3/4 or full butterfly now...

Is it just instinctive aiming? Bore a hole in your target with your eyes and release? My hairs haven't started standing up on my knuckles, but my wife says her's stand up on her neck anytime I start shooting near her. One too many wild shots I suppose...

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With 3/4 butta I feel FREE, and I really have fun! Yeah, my accuracy suffers a lot when shooting floating anchor, but who cares?
There you go!
I should have mentioned that two days ago my accuracy suffered, but today its the first day I am shooting better 3/4 butterfly than fixed anchor! So yeah, its a matter of practice and a matter of finding my way around the pouch hold.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Maybe it's because I shoot for fun, but I find it depends on what I feel like on the day. I shoot anything from fixed to under the ear, semi-butterfly, sometimes in between.
Oh yeah, dont get me wrong, I dont discriminate when it comes to slingshots! I like all styles as well, and as matter of fact, I am still shooting some fixed anchor. Its just that I enjoy it less, so today, was the last day I shot fixed :)
No worries, didn't even think you were discriminating lol Know exactly how you feel about enjoyment over accuracy. That's why I switched to OTT, more toys and feels more free

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You and HullaBalloo got me wanting to try 3/4 or full butterfly now...

Is it just instinctive aiming? Bore a hole in your target with your eyes and release? My hairs haven't started standing up on my knuckles, but my wife says her's stand up on her neck anytime I start shooting near her. One too many wild shots I suppose...
No, I dont shoot "instinctive". I line up the bands, and use a reference point. I do however aim without aiming, meaning that I dont focus much on aiming but on form.
Tell you what, fixed anchor will yield results a bit faster, but there benefits to a floating anchor. One subjective benefit is that I have a better feel of the pouch, and thats really important. Objectively now, I can shoot half my normal draw weight, and achieve better speeds, so there's that. The most important benefit, however, is that I have more fun shooting this way.
This style is not "free", I am shooting with my main focus on form, but its more beautiful, more powerful, and it can be just as accurate as any, which I dont mind anymore.
Dont do the mistake I made and get too hanged up with accuracy. Accuracy will come anyway if you put the shots in. Becoming a great shooter is a matter of practicing good, repeatable form, and shooting at least 250-300 shots daily, so your main focus should be to have fun, to enjoy every minute of your shooting!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No worries, didn't even think you were discriminating lol Know exactly how you feel about enjoyment over accuracy. That's why I switched to OTT, more toys and feels more free
Hmmmm, I never found any difference between ott and ttf to tell you the truth. I love both for different reasons ????

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
I am enjoying reading this post and the responses. I have tried to "Aim" down the band and using a notch on the top fork shooting "Gangsta" style but, I can't hit the side of the barn. I anchor at the bottom of me ear but a shoot 100% instinctive . At least that is what I think I do. I pretty much just focus on what I want to hit and will the ball to the target. I think I am a fair shot but not a constantly good shot. As you say, my friend, having fun is what is important.

GP

1 - 20 of 34 Posts