Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always kept a months worth of TP and canned goods at home. And 6 cases of bottled water. Plus medications. Rubbing alcohol and of course Beer. Have a 100 meters of tubes and 20 meters of flats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
So Many Marbles ------------- So Little Time ;-)
4,418 Posts
I have many cans of chili, soups, and beans. I have a lots of water and plenty of TP. I also have about 12 cases of six cups ea to Top Ramen plus some boxes of instant rice. I could most likely live off what I have if need be for a month +

As far as slingshots go, I'm beyond good and as far as slingshot ammo goes, I'm WAY beyond good ---- steel balls, oval lead sinkers in 1/4oz, 3/8oz and 1/2oz and many, many bags of marbles. I'm also set with tubes, so I'm more than OK ;- ) I have a couple of propane camp stoves that use white gas and have that on hand also, along with other camping stoves.

wll

·
aka CYBORG
2,060 Posts
We're retired and thanx to my wife's love of coupon shopping, very comfortable.

We recently bought a small treadmill to augment our exercycle so 'hunker down' inside is doable.

Also, I have enough slingshots and supplies to outfit an urban platoon.

I'm reminded - it's not so much the calamity, but how we react to it.

Still, this upheaval is minor compared to the grid going down for several months. Prepped for that?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
The wife and I were mostly prepared but needed to top up on some cleaning supplies which is very unusual for us. Normally we make sure we get more long before getting low.
Braved the store and got out of there. What a zoo.
Pantry is stocked well.
Picked up a bit more dog food for good measure.
I have enough slings, bands and ammo to equip a small army. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Mojave Mo
5,167 Posts
Yea. I'm ready but honestly not that thrilled about it. For 36 years my job took me all over the world and into some jacked up living conditions. Avocados and crackers for 3 months. Or lobster and conch for 3 months. Paper towels for toilet paper if I was lucky, dirty places around nasty people and places. I've been retired for a year and two months and I did it right. But now I am just a little resentful that I have to re-engage an extra level of survival skills again when I just want to do and go where I want without looking over my shoulder or being hyper aware of my surroundings. It will be interesting to see how all this shakes out

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
We have good supply of TP and a 12.ga shotgun to make sure nobody try to take it. Being old we have to be super careful. We have no less than 7 members of our extended family are in the medical field, 5 are MDs and they all insist that we hunker down and stay home. They all say this is going to get worse and it will happen fast.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
We are good at my house and I am neighborly enough to have checked on aome my older neighbor.

I let them know they have a real neighbor over a period of years. If they get sick I will deliver or haul them to where they need to go.

I know the correct procedures to donit safely and make sure they are also safe.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
I have to be honest I wish I was more prepared. We've got quite a few canned goods, packed rice & such, about 10lbs coffee (& powdered creamer, sugar), a LOT of toilet paper, a few thousand rounds of .22 & my trapping gears long with two tuned .22 air rifles and a few tins of Predator Polymags. I have some things in mind to grab as soon as possible to bump up my preparedness but luckily my woman is a nurse so that's a plus. We've got to get together an updated and thought out first aid kit as well, but I feel confident I'm more prepared than most people in my area.

Really hoping I don't end up behind the 8 ball on this one..

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I'm no fan of panic buying, but did of course buy a bit more extra supply than usual to minimize what could become rather hazardous excursions to the local supermarket, now mostly crowded out by many people in an "end-of-the world" mode. :hmm: . Let's keep things in perspective and stay calm.

Until about a week or ten days ago, local politicians in Switzerland, but also those in neighboring countries were still playing down the Wuhan-virus as "just another flu, what's all the fuss about?". Well, it's the sudden exponential rise in the number of cases and deaths, doubtlessly shown to the blissfully unaware (and overpaid) politicos by means of a simple Excel graph from health experts, that triggered a sudden awareness of the potential severity of the disease and how the health services would be totally submerged if people weren't obliged to stop mingling in crowded places.

As some of you may have meanwhile read, pretty well the whole of Europe is now in lock-down, with largely closed national borders and people being ordered to stay at home in certain countries, only allowed to go to work or to the supermarket. All non-essential shops, restaurants, coffee shops, etc. have been closed. Schools will be closed until the end of April.

The objective of such unprecedented measures is to slow the spread of the virus at all cost (the economic impact is truly frightening), and hopefully exiting this terrible pandemic in 6 to 8 weeks time, with the crest of the virus "wave" (it is like a tsunami of sorts) having passed though the population at large. Indeed, the number of cases should theoretically fall dramatically in roughly 2 months time, which should enable a return to a relative normality as seen in South Korea, where the crisis was well handled from the very beginning to minimize its impact. The ultimate hope is to have a vaccine before a potential second "wave" of the virus strikes again sometime in autumn, or early next year.

If I were living in the US, I would stock up on non-perishables such as rice, pasta, dried fruit, flour, but also vegetables such as potatoes. Lemons kept in the fridge keep for a long time: think vitamin C to strengthen the immune system. As our tap water is of a high standard i.e. no excessive chlorine content and other rubbish, I have not stocked up on drinking water. Oh, if toilet paper does run out in the stores, newspapers are a valid option. A loaded firearm is probably a good idea, depending on where you live: people behave strangely in times of collective panic, and some see nothing wrong in taking (stealing) what they need from others.

Here is what the Swiss federal government advises in terms of emergency supplies, if ever: https://www.bwl.admin.ch/bwl/en/home/themen/notvorrat.html. Unfortunately, this Pdf-based information is not available in English language.

The more you stick to "social distancing" for the next 6-8 weeks, the safer you will be. We will all get through this.

·
Premium Member
11,461 Posts
My wife and I stock up every fall in case of a blizzard. This reminds me of how fortunate we really are. All I have to do is look around and realize there are some people that that don’t have a warm home and are never sure if they are going to eat that day or not.

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
I'm not that prepared unfortunately. Plenty of drinking water on hand, and a moderately stocked pantry (there's still rice and such at 'ethnic' food stores in town), but I'm running real low on TP. We'll be good for a week max, but I'm surprised people started buying everything up so quickly. I live 1 mile from a supermarket, and there is no TP, rice, beans, canned goods, and hardly any meat. Lesson learned. I'm gonna stock up once this is all over with plenty of dried goods and cleaning supplies.

Also, good health and safety to all of the members and their families! Regardless of nationality, location, or slingshot preference, you are all in my prayers (including frameless guys).

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I'm not that prepared unfortunately. Plenty of drinking water on hand, and a moderately stocked pantry (there's still rice and such at 'ethnic' food stores in town), but I'm running real low on TP. We'll be good for a week max, but I'm surprised people started buying everything up so quickly. I live 1 mile from a supermarket, and there is no TP, rice, beans, canned goods, and hardly any meat. Lesson learned. I'm gonna stock up once this is all over with plenty of dried goods and cleaning supplies.

Also, good health and safety to all of the members and their families! Regardless of nationality, location, or slingshot preference, you are all in my prayers (including frameless guys).
well said ????

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Man this is real bad now we are not allowed in pubs clubs theatre restaurant etc we cant get tp hand sanitizer its bad to isolate nearly 12 weeks for the unwell I have stocked up on chicken breast 4 packs of 3 3 hole chicken frozen fish some pasta packets 5 or 6 tubs of soup frozen and more to make frozen chips sausage 3'x 15 pack eggs 4 litre of milk and a think that's still no anuff for 2 think al be buying a rifle again stay safe guys ????

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
NB - This is something to be aware of (found the link in a French newspaper):

https://www.journalofhospitalinfection.com/article/S0195-6701(20)30046-3/fulltext

"Persistence of coronaviruses on inanimate surfaces and their inactivation with biocidal agents"

and (quote) "The analysis of 22 studies reveals that human coronaviruses such as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) coronavirus, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) coronavirus or endemic human coronaviruses (HCoV) can persist on inanimate surfaces like metal, glass or plastic for up to 9 days, but can be efficiently inactivated by surface disinfection procedures with 62-71% ethanol, 0.5% hydrogen peroxide or 0.1% sodium hypochlorite within 1 minute. Other biocidal agents such as 0.05-0.2% benzalkonium chloride or 0.02% chlorhexidine digluconate are less effective. As no specific therapies are available for SARS-CoV-2, early containment and prevention of further spread will be crucial to stop the ongoing outbreak and to control this novel infectious thread."

Take note. :hmm:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts