Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
"Mighty Can Smiter"
4,250 Posts
I have been testing out some of Nathan's fat tubes, I say fat tubes because I can't remember the dimensions and they are much bigger than my 1745s and 2040s

Mass manufacturer tube set:

Office supplies Toy Plastic Carmine Cable

Nathan's tube next to the smaller 1745s. For reference:

Bicycle part Line Wood Cable Twig

First cut a small slit into the tube approx 1/4:

Bicycle part Cable Wire Office supplies Plastic

Run tube through the pouch from ammo side to grip side with slit facing down:

Finger Gesture Thumb Wood Nail

Run a pair of locking forceps through the end of the tube and out the slit and run the other end of the tube through the slit and out:

Hand tool Tool Snips Pliers Tableware

Now all you have to do is continue pulling, remember to "lubricate" the tube to make it easier... I used spit

Bicycle handlebar Eyewear Finger Gadget Bicycle part

And presto:

Tool Bicycle part Automotive exterior Auto part Fashion accessory

LGD

Attachments

·
Tex-shooter
4,461 Posts
The only problem with that configuration is it tends to curl the pouch after shooting a while. -- Tex

·
"Mighty Can Smiter"
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only problem with that configuration is it tends to curl the pouch after shooting a while. -- Tex
I can see that happening, and am prepared for it... I have a few other methods of attaching to the pouch that cause the risk of pouch curl, but if one is attentive enough.. "Massaging" the pouch ends occasionally causing the ends to readjust back.... Doing this before a drastic curl will make it an effortless task....

Thanks for bringing up a great point, for sure

LGD

·
"Mighty Can Smiter"
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,
I do it in nearly the same way.
But i make no cut / hole in the tube.
Never had any problems, it don`t slip.

Zwillie
That looks like you use a small piece of a separate tube and use it to attach the tube set... That is a common way, and I usually do, but I thought to try to mimic the red tube set,,, which is using the one tube to attach itself. This method has a possibility of slipping into itself, unlike yours being less possible to do so.

------

A punch would be more ideal, or at least "cleaner"... I have to keep that in mind next time

Thanks

LGD

·
Tex-shooter
4,461 Posts
I had been seeing shooters attaching bands (tubes and flats) to pouches with small pieces of tubing and I thought it was the cats meow so I spent a few hours, a lot of thought and a little money making a fixture to assemble bands like this very fast (about 25 sets a hour). It worked like a dream and I made several sets. I mentioned this to Charles Saunders and sent him a set. He said that they had run test a while back and found that it messed up accuracy. So I run my own shooting test and was shocked to found out that it messed up my accuracy big time. Wow and I have sold several sets! Now I am not the most accurate shooter in the world so I thought it just might be me, so I cut off the tubing and retied with cotton string. My accuracy came back like magic. In conclusion I have a fixture that I will not use for that (might find another use for it) and that is why I just stopped selling my black field bands until I have some more testing under my belt. I am in the process of conducting that test right now. I have shot so much my hands are sore, so be patient I will get there. -- Tex

·
"Crafter"
1,897 Posts
Exactly as Tex put it these attachment methods are great for speed and minimal fuss but they twist and distort after shooting for long periods.The only way I have found to correct the "Chinese handcuff" after it becomes twisted is to pull the band out to a stretch and add some saliva to the cuff area and re twist back to shape which leaves you good for another good few shots. I believe Ey-Shot? did a tutorial similar to this using the hole punch to create LG's slit,

·
Registered
650 Posts
I had been seeing shooters attaching bands (tubes and flats) to pouches with small pieces of tubing and I thought it was the cats meow so I spent a few hours, a lot of thought and a little money making a fixture to assemble bands like this very fast (about 25 sets a hour). It worked like a dream and I made several sets. I mentioned this to Charles Saunders and sent him a set. He said that they had run test a while back and found that it messed up accuracy. So I run my own shooting test and was shocked to found out that it messed up my accuracy big time. Wow and I have sold several sets! Now I am not the most accurate shooter in the world so I thought it just might be me, so I cut off the tubing and retied with cotton string. My accuracy came back like magic. In conclusion I have a fixture that I will not use for that (might find another use for it) and that is why I just stopped selling my black field bands until I have some more testing under my belt. I am in the process of conducting that test right now. I have shot so much my hands are sore, so be patient I will get there. -- Tex
I believe you're right. I used a small piece of tubing for my last tube/pouch attachment. Something just did not feel right with my shooting.
I did not think about that this setup could be the reason.

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,147 Posts
Dang! And I thought it was me.
Boy am I glad to read this, I just recently started to use this method and none of the bandsets I made were shooting well for me.

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts
I've noticed that the tube sets Jim Harris makes always shoot better than the ones I make and I would be willing to bet that is why. I use this method pretty much all the time and I still do ok in the accuracy department but I do accept that it could very well make a difference.
Because the cuffs are so much heavier than a little piece of string, perhaps? Or because they allow some movement?

·
"Mighty Can Smiter"
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very interesting indeed, about the effects of accuracy... I don't have problems all of the time, but there are times where I wonder why I have a bad run... And that varies from one new set I made to another.... I may have to revisit cotton string for tubes again....

LGD.

Good things to ponder

·
Registered
777 Posts
I have not used cotton but I may after reading this I mostly use tubes cut in half and tied tight in a half knot,it never slips but maybe its heavier than cotton and I guess we're trying to reduce weight at the pouch as much as possible

·
Engorged Member
363 Posts
I use the wrap and tuck method with thin rubberbands (like shown by gamekeeper John in his youtube vids) for my bands as well as for my tubes, even for tube pseudo-taper attachment, works really well. Make sure the loop at the pouch end is a bit on the generous side then you will not have any problems with curling pouches either.

Reactions: Larry Bourgeois

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have been away from the forum too long and I am glad to see why some of my wayward shots have occurred. Now if I could only figure out all of my other problems. Glad to be back. Fatboy

·
Tex-shooter
4,461 Posts
Saunders Archery has done high speed shots that show that the small rubber tube tie interferes with the shot leaving the pouch. That is one reason that I support Saunders like I do, he does more research and testing than anybody. They are limited on what kind of products that they can sell because of the size of the company and the sue nuts out there. -- Tex

Reactions: strikewzen
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.