Slingshots Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now!  ENDING SOON

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, seeds. I meant seeds.

I'm trying to cut down on my carbohydrate intake so I'm looking to replace breads made with wheat flour with breads made using other grains like flaxseed. I enjoy baking so making my own loaves isn't a problem.

Ideally, I need to turn flaxseed to the consistency of regular bread flour after passing through a sieve.

Any suggestions on how to do this? I think I should use a pestle and mortar.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a coffee grinder so I can certainly try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Today I resorted to bashing the flaxseed with the blunt end of wooden rolling bin while it was inside a plastic freezer bag, then sieving the results to obtain a flour-like fineness.

It worked but I'm looking for a quicker, more efficient method. Using a coffee grinder could get me half-way there.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I haven't baked anything yet but there are plenty of recipes out there for low-carb flaxseed bread made without any wheat flour. Might taste like chewy concrete, I don't know without giving it a go.

I'll post pics of my baking successes' or abject failures here. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,413 Posts
Search for "chaffle keto recipe" on YouTube, get rid of the seeds altogether. The wife makes Chaffle in the waffle iron and we use it for bread, hamburger buns, etc. She also makes Keto taco shells out of grated cheddar cheese. Search for "Keto Taco Shells" on YouTube for that. There's tons of recipes. Once you get off the breads, you're not going to crave it anymore. It turns my stomach just to think about it now. All those years everyone was told what to eat with the TV commercials and unfortunately it was just to line someone else's pockets... None of it is healthy.

·
Banned
1,476 Posts
There is this old video by an Islamophobic hick anarchist/survivalist called "Kurt Saxon"... author of the "poor man's James Bond" series of books and videos.

Watch from 14 minutes. After he is done with the grinding, I recommend you stop watching if you don't want to be touched by his insanity.

Just focus on the way he is making flour. Ignore the 'blowing up people' part. The man belongs in jail instead of the old folk's home where he is currently at. But he sure can make pancakes.

I think I should use a pestle and mortar.
That'll take forever. Get one of those grinders.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Search for "chaffle keto recipe" on YouTube, get rid of the seeds altogether. The wife makes Chaffle in the waffle iron and we use it for bread, hamburger buns, etc. She also makes Keto taco shells out of grated cheddar cheese. Search for "Keto Taco Shells" on YouTube for that. There's tons of recipes. Once you get off the breads, you're not going to crave it anymore. It turns my stomach just to think about it now. All those years everyone was told what to eat with the TV commercials and unfortunately it was just to line someone else's pockets... None of it is healthy.
Just had a look at Keto Chaffle recipes and they look great. I'll be giving them a whirl, thanks. My Doc says my blood glucose control isn't as good as it could be so I'm cutting carbs. My first attempt at a flaxseed loaf is in the oven right now!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is this old video by an Islamophobic hick anarchist/survivalist called "Kurt Saxon"... author of the "poor man's James Bond" series of books and videos.

I think I should use a pestle and mortar.
That'll take forever. Get one of those grinders.
If you hadn't told me that fella's background I would never have known. Flaxseed (also known as Linseed) is oily when ground so the mechanical grinders may not work. I have a coffee grinder I'm goin' to try out.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
The problem that you may run into is the lack of gluten. It's the stuff that becomes elastic and allows the gas from the yeast to make bubbles instead of just passing through. Probably are going to need a little bread flour if you want it to raise at all.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, you're quite right about the gluten. I used baking powder and bicarbonate of soda plus some apple cider vinegar as raising agents but the loaf was still a little heavier than I liked. The problem with adding bread flour is it raises the carbohydrate which is specifically what I don't want. Anyway, I'm reasonably pleased with my first effort. It will take a few bakes to get better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.