Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I got an ash burl which is basically a chunk of wood looking almost like a ball of some 60 cm in diameter.

What is the best way to dry it, that is, should I leave it like this or maybe cut it in half or in quarters in order to speed up the drying process?

However, does it need to be dried like normal wood at all, considering it curled filaments?

thanks in advance,

jazz

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I went for a quick look around to see what I could find. Not encouraging for a quick use I'm afraid. Cutting large burls is recommended to speed drying but it looks like wrapping them in plastic film will keep the drying out too fast. Depending on the size of the pieces, this will speed the process up to ....One to Five years :cursin:

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I went for a quick look around to see what I could find. Not encouraging for a quick use I'm afraid. Cutting large burls is recommended to speed drying but it looks like wrapping them in plastic film will keep the drying out too fast. Depending on the size of the pieces, this will speed the process up to ....One to Five years :cursin:
In other words, just shoot yourself in the knee, by the time you are walking again, it will be ready! :iono:

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I'm thinking that if it was mine, I'd try to figure out how big of pieces I could use without wasting much. Then I'd cut it up in those sizes. Maybe use the outter edges first.

Personally it aint worth much if I can't use it and don't have the stuff to wait one to five years. Heck I might not even be into slingery by that time.

·
Premium Member
9,947 Posts
A friend cut me 2 oak ones and all I did was put them in the corner of my shop. They have bout split everywhere they can split.
I would definitely suggest doing something to slow the drying process. Will be well worth the wait.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
A friend cut me 2 oak ones and all I did was put them in the corner of my shop. They have bout split everywhere they can split.
I would definitely suggest doing something to slow the drying process. Will be well worth the wait.
Well, there you go, straight from one who has already tried it. My new advice ...Cut and wrap, and save a piece or to to put in a ziplock bag and nuke!

·
Premium Member
9,947 Posts
I'll bet that's some beautiful stuff though. I can only speak for oak but I would imagine ash would have some of the same properties.
Good luck

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all,

thank you for your suggestions!

What I did in the end is that some people in a local furniture factory cut the burl into four pieces for me, each almost 15 cm thickand then I applied wood glue to the cuts (quite a lot of glue..) and I will leave it with a friend of mine who has small woodworking shop and some storage capacity.

cheers,

jazz

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi all,

thank you for your suggestions!

What I did in the end is that some people in a local furniture factory cut the burl into four pieces for me, each almost 15 cm thickand then I applied wood glue to the cuts (quite a lot of glue..) and I will leave it with a friend of mine who has small woodworking shop and some storage capacity.

cheers,

jazz

1 - 12 of 12 Posts