Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
When I saw this alu tube staff sling could not resist making one.
spent some time modding and shooting.
Did not live up to my expectations but for me was the same as a normal
cord sling. Big respect for those who can get distance and some accuracy with either, I could not.
Full disclosure,
my tennis elbow and over worked shoulder does not lend itself to using these projection weapons to even
close to their potential.
Over 400 meters with a standard sling, I was lucky to get even close to 100 with either.
It was fun to test different styles of "windup" with the staff sling but unlike latex slingshots lost interest.
I still go shoot them ever now and again just to seeif it bites, so far not.
Cool to learn the history a bit and would have impressive to see them
used in combat by skilled warriors.
ukj

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
oh man that looks like a fun project :)
With your skills and tools you could make easy!
Go for it, maybe you will like this additional target "toy"
I found with alu tube staff sling the "Appache" style worked best for me.
This is with pouch hanging directly behind arm pointing rear at it, then simple up and over arch releasing at zenith.
Side arm like tennis forehand also was ok.
When tried spins and "whips" was all over the place.
AGAIN why I love this forum!
Interest renewed and will go sling some round rocks until my poor old over worked right arm says stop.

ukj

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is another relevant video on this fascinating subject - check it out:

Intruders on your property? Just ask them if they would like to meet "Fustibalus". ;)

·
Registered
862 Posts
@Pebble Shooter - your original post features a David Morningstar video - who is very active in the slinging community. He has a bunch of Youtube videos on slinging, including one of the better ones on slinging basics. He also posts on Slinging.org - including various sling designs. Slinging.org is the go-to resource for everything about shepherd’s slings.

Slings are very simple to make and the basic throws (there are a bunch of different throwing styles) relatively easy to learn. Launching a projectile from a sling for distance is a lot of fun. I have practiced for years but have yet to sling w/ any degree of accuracy.

One safety tip is master the basics w/ a tennis ball before attempting a rock. Slings can be “dry fired” which is great for indoor practice.

Sling-on!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts