Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya guys.
I am thinking a lot about ways to promote slingshooting here in Greece.
It would be nice if we had tournaments too, and a community to help each other, and maybe...well, maybe compete in the next world cup as a team too!
My main reason is simply promoting the hobby though, get people together, have fun shooting, etc.
Do you think a web site would be a good move? I am able to make websites, so it wouldn't cost me anything, apart for buying a donain name, and even hosting isn't a problem as me and a friend have a server of our own, where we host websites we make for others.
Would a FB page be enough maybe? A blog?
I am at a loss really, but I know I should do something about it anyway.
A good start would be to shoot some videos in Greek, you know, tips on setup, accuracy, etc. Simple stuff that are impossible to find in Greek, but that isn't enough, as traffic would be extremely low anyway.
Any thoughts?

·
See The Target
22,228 Posts
I would think that doing the web site and FB would reach out even more . It seems that many adults don't seem to be able to make recreation time with work and family responsibilities . You can reach out to youth groups and do demonstrations and shoots . This could attract a media story interest giving you more exposure .

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Maybe start small rather than trying to tackle an entire country right away by yourself. You could try to set up a shooting demo at your local archery range or gun range. Advertise the events with posters at these locations as well as at sporting good stores. Bring out some frames, ammo and portable catch boxes. If you get enough interest you might be able to put together a local shooting league. From there you could get more shooters involved with expanding the sport to nearby cities and communities. More addicts may be willing to help out with promotions.

·
Aimstinctivist
774 Posts
A play off Northerner's idea...

Hitch a ride on the back of something that already enjoys great popularity on a national level. Say, Tavli.

Hold a slingshot building contest wherein contestants must use only material salvaged from backgammon boards, dice, stones, and cups in their builds-

Select 3 winners, The Portes, the Plakoto, and the Fevga.

Combine the two activities somehow. Maybe having to validate a backgammon match victory with a shooting challenge...

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Visit and promote at local Boy Scout groups, Boys & Girl Clubs, school events, Sporting Good Stores, etc. Invite all parents as well as kids. Bring your bag of frames and have fun.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I've been thinking of ways of attracting local newcomers to slingshot shooting, and have been contemplating organizing an "open day" at a regional sports hall to show what the sport is all about, what types of slingshots are used, etc, etc. Sounds simple, but there are multiple issues that need to be addressed: location, authorizations, installations, safety, insurance...just one lousy release by a new attendee and something smashed = big trouble. You get the picture...

Beyond that issue, the problem is that anyone in Switzerland interested in shooting can acquire civilian firearms fairly easily, and anyone who has completed military service gets to keep their assault rifle, with which they can shoot at one of the numerous 300 yard ranges as part of a local club. Shooting is truly a national sport in Switzerland that is encouraged by the government - albeit that new EU gun legislation is throwing a spanner in the works :hmm:. This context, and a public image of slingshots as either "toys" or "dangerous objects" (Swiss law) makes me wonder whether I would look like a fool proposing the creation of a slingshot shooting club: maybe North American or British expats who live here might be interested, but I have yet to find out. This type project cannot be a one-man show.

When I spoke to members of the German slingshot shooting team at the (incredibly well organized!) international tournament held in Gualdo Tadino in Italy back in June this year, they told me that slingshot shooters are few and far between, and that there is no real widespread interest in this activity. Thus, what exists in both Spain and Italy in terms of club structures and a competitive spirit, where slingshots are used, is quite difficult to replicate in countries where people have had little or no exposure to slingshots, other than maybe having used a basic V-twig with an elastic when they were kids. Most people simply have never seen the state-of-the-art slingshots now available for target shooting and/or hunting (the latter only where it is authorized, of course).

Probably the best approach is to mention the subject to people where one feels that there may be a common interest, and teaching them the basic techniques while having fun together: if they like it, they will speak about it to their trusted friends and acquaintances, and maybe something comes of that eventually. Creating a website is useful as an informative resource to show what the sport is about, to show the technological progress of modern slingshots, and to serve as a local communication platform, which could also be linked to this specific forum. Using either Google Translate or Deepl translator (www.deepl.com), foreign content can easily be translated into English.

Just my 5 cents worth...expanding this sport is definitely not straightforward, but with the appropriate ideas and strategies there will be a way to achieve this. The way I see it right now, there is a strong correlation between archery and slingshot shooting: this is where to find possible synergies in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmmmmm, getting in touch with the local archery club is definitely a good idea... Maybe even save up and get a longbow, show then how it's done shooting barebow, and then they will just beg me to teach them ????
Seriously now, the archery clubs are a very good idea, they could even find it beneficial to their sport.
Ok, I will start making a website, nothing fancy, just general info, some linked videos, pics of frames, a blog to get some comments. A FB page to gather them, hopefully, and then see what happens in combination with the local archers.
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Ps. It would be much easier moving to the US, China, or the UK ????

·
Mojave Mo
5,181 Posts
Skropi. Go to the googleverse and see if Meetup.com is happening in your area. You basically just start a SlingClub on the site, and then you start scheduling 'meetups' for the club members to come and shoot. Oh.....and it is free!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
679 Post Club
3,015 Posts
A FB group and how-to material in Greek including local and international sources for supplies - start there. That alone could give you more to do than you're counting on. If it doesn't then add other things.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts