Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
~Pouch Maker~
15,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes I need to change pouches on bands. I m having problem to remove the constrictor knot without damage the bands. I use a precision knife similar to the pic. is anyone know better way to remove it without damaging the bands.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hey like I mentioned last night, I hav been using braded nylon that I melt the ends back once the knot is tied. No way ever are they coming undone. So im happy to say that I do the same as you my friend! A very sharp craft knife;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
This seems like a nice safe tool! I think it's called a "seam ripper" for sewing:

But i personally use a p'kal knife by spyderco. It's a very "unsafe", but it is more fun.

Sometimes I need to change pouches on bands. I m having problem to remove the constrictor knot without damage the bands. I use a precision knife similar to the pic. is anyone know better way to remove it without damaging the bands.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
The exacto will work fine. You just need to bend the pouch and band between your finger and thumb, making the string tighter than what it is. Once you begin to cut, the outer string will sever a lot easier.

·
~Pouch Maker~
15,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Tirador and Jim, I just removed a band smoothly with seam ripper. works fine.

·
Registered
884 Posts
e-Shot,
I used some pliers to open one end and pull the band out. That way I can still use the band without loosing its length. Saludos.

·
Resigned
1,825 Posts
you can put a tiny pin or nail or paperclip under the string use it as a tiny cuttingboard and then use a razor to cut through the string, to the nail.

·
Registered
383 Posts
The seam ripper is one of the better ways. It is safe and made for the job plus you can get them at Wal Mart in the sewing department. You will find out you can use them for cutting the rubber bands you use to hold either tubes or bands on the forks.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
The seam ripper is one of the better ways. It is safe and made for the job plus you can get them at walmart in the sewing department. You will find out you can use them for cutting the rubber bands you use to hold either tubes or bands on the forks.
I like this suggestion but don't have one so I put on my opti-visor grab my ultra sharpened knife and get to pretend I am a brain surgeon.

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
i changed out a pair today, nothing i could do would loosen them, so i just got a good sharp knife, found the gap between the 2 bands, lightly rubbed, just hard enough to see the strands break, very simple, i think key here is easy, no rush, you dont need a special blade as long as its sharp.

·
Registered
259 Posts
You can get a curved blade for your exacto that is sharpened on the inside radius. It works much like the seam ripper.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
you can put a tiny pin or nail or paperclip under the string use it as a tiny cuttingboard and then use a razor to cut through the string, to the nail.
Thats basically what I do. I made a pin out of a 309 stainless tig wire cut 3 inches long, ground to a point and polished. it is also helpful when tieing the constrictor knot.

·
Banned
741 Posts
i just use a pair of scissors a carefeully cot almost all the way through.then i pull on it and it snaps off with no damage to the bands.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts