Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little while ago @slingdude posted a few pics of a couple natties that he made.
Two quality forks in their own right, but one was mislabeled as oak when it is in fact maple. No biggie. Who cares when your looking at such nice forks?
Anywho, you can imagine my surprise when I got a message from "the dude" asking me if I'd like to have it?!?!?
Well, you know I jumped on it.
Today a parcel arrived with not only the maple frame but a bunch of other goodies! I know! Right?
I'm blown away. Thanks my friend.
I reserve the right to vengeance. Don't think that this random act of kindness will go unanswered.
Here's a pic.
Ya just gotta love this forum.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
very cool gift...........that really looks a lot like some of the Magnolia forks I've harvested instead of Maple, but could be either
I guess.

Cool nonetheless.
It's funny you say that, because now that I have it in my hands, I'm convinced that it's not maple either! And what's even funnier is that today ( this very day) I harvested for the first time, a magnolia fork. I'll be able to compare the grain with a southern Magnolia fork before long. My gut is telling me it's catalpa, but I haven't ruled out magnolia either. Maybe I should ask a tree guy to ID it for me. Lol!

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,192 Posts
very cool gift...........that really looks a lot like some of the Magnolia forks I've harvested instead of Maple, but could be either
I guess.

Cool nonetheless.
It's funny you say that, because now that I have it in my hands, I'm convinced that it's not maple either! And what's even funnier is that today ( this very day) I harvested for the first time, a magnolia fork. I'll be able to compare the grain with a southern Magnolia fork before long. My gut is telling me it's catalpa, but I haven't ruled out magnolia either. Maybe I should ask a tree guy to ID it for me. Lol!
Yeah, really looks like Magnolia to me...........the Magnolia I've harvested here locally in Georgia, has that wider grain figuring like this thing.....but hey, I have been wrong before, prob. wrong again, lol.

Magnolia fork attached to compare.

[sharedmedia=gallery:albums:3310]

·
Amateur
2,576 Posts
I really didn't expect this to be such a mystery lol. It's definitely not magnolia though. I finally found a couple pics that might help clear this up. This fork was harvested in Jan/Feb of this year. First two pics are fork in question and the spot it came from where a utility company trimmed back some growth from their right-of-way. The other pic is of a magnolia fork that I am currently letting cure.

Photograph White Plant Twig Tree

Sky Plant community Plant Twig Wood

Wood Gesture Nail Thumb Hardwood

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts