Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
aka. bunnybuster
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
Recently I have been fabricating these type slingshots.
They are a combination of wood, and steel. I have designed the forks so that they will swivel and follow your pull,
no matter how you hold the piece. It makes for a really accurate slingshot, and most forgiving if your draw is not exactly the same,shot for shot. The forks are formed and welded with a threaded rod through the handle. The locking nut on the bottom, can be adjusted for the amount of swivel,free play on the fork. I make the handles out of different types of wood and also different designs.
I have set them up with tubes and flatbands, both. They will shoot anything from marbles to lead balls.
I reallly like the way they shoot.
Tom

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
Hi folks,
Recently I have been fabricating these type slingshots.
They are a combination of wood, and steel. I have designed the forks so that they will swivel and follow your pull,
no matter how you hold the piece. It makes for a really accurate slingshot, and most forgiving if your draw is not exactly the same,shot for shot. The forks are formed and welded with a threaded rod through the handle. The locking nut on the bottom, can be adjusted for the amount of swivel,free play on the fork. I make the handles out of different types of wood and also different designs.
I have set them up with tubes and flatbands, both. They will shoot anything from marbles to lead balls.
I reallly like the way they shoot.
Tom
thats one sweet design

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Bunnybuster, I also have achieved very good results with "self centering" rotating handle slingshots. But I noticed that without ball bearings, the friction increased the more I drew out, so with strong bands the fork would no longer follow the turn of the bands. Oil helped, but only some. Did you notice the same effect?

Ball bearings of all sizes can be found cheaply on ebay. My rotating slingshots improved very much once I added the bearings. Even with the strongest bands at full extension, the swivelling is easy and reacts perfectly well.

Jörg

·
Resigned
1,152 Posts
Two thoughts on this subject:

1) I like the Bunny Buster design--simple and lightweight.
2) It's far past time for Jeorg to enter the commercial market and begin selling his creations.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Yes but if he did decide to sell them there would be a three year waiting list within an hour or two
Plus, I'd have no time for new designs. The one I plan on making today has no less than 10 ball bearings, a total of 5 rollers, but will still be very compact. Do you really want me to sacrifice these interesting new projects for mere money?

"There is no gold in Akaba."

Anthony Quinn, playing Auda abu Tayi, "Lawrence of Arabia", UK 1962.

·
aka. bunnybuster
1,622 Posts
Bunnybuster, I also have achieved very good results with "self centering" rotating handle slingshots. But I noticed that without ball bearings, the friction increased the more I drew out, so with strong bands the fork would no longer follow the turn of the bands. Oil helped, but only some. Did you notice the same effect?

Ball bearings of all sizes can be found cheaply on ebay. My rotating slingshots improved very much once I added the bearings. Even with the strongest bands at full extension, the swivelling is easy and reacts perfectly well.

Jörg
Jorg,
I havn`t really noticed any friction on the rotating fork design.
the stainless steel ,cupped, washers,between the wood and steel,seem to eliminate that being a problem.
Even so, I am sure that using small bearings,inset into the wood, is likely to be a better design, but maybe not as cost effective with the extra hardware and machining required to accomplish the same results.
The nice aspect of my design, is that you can tighten the bottom nut, if you want no rotation at all.
The swivel fork pictured, has some potent sarion tubes on it, and I have not noticed any friction problems on rotation.
On another note:
I heard through the grapevine that you may be attending the Averton Pa. tournament in may? I look forward to meeting you there along with other new faces this year. Last year was a wonderful time, and this year will be even more fun

Tom

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I heard through the grapevine that you may be attending the Averton Pa. tournament in may? I look forward to meeting you there along with other new faces this year. Last year was a wonderful time, and this year will be even more fun
Tom, that's right, I will attend! I am not a target shooter and won't have a chance in the tournament itself, but I will bring many of my creations with me for people to try them out. Jay said he will arrange a table or a small area for me, eiher inside or outdoors depending on the weather. I think we will have a blast, and I hope to meet many people that I know from the forums.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I bought one of these from Bunnybuster. Great slingshot. I can shoot quickly without thought which makes it very good for hunting.

·
aka. bunnybuster
1,622 Posts
Great design. How much do you sell these for?
Dave,
I can make you a nice swivel fork..
say..around $30 , shipped anywhere in the USA

I form the forks by hand, and make a choice of handles for them.
I can set them up with tubes or flatbands. These babies will shoot anything you put through them

Here are just a couple examples.
Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great design. How much do you sell these for?
Dave,
I can make you a nice swivel fork..
say..around $30 , shipped anywhere in the USA

I form the forks by hand, and make a choice of handles for them.
I can set them up with tubes or flatbands. These babies will shoot anything you put through them

Here are just a couple examples.
Tom
[/quote]

·
Registered
9 Posts
That sounds good to me. I would like tubes. I live in Ontario Canada though so I'll need to know about shipping. I can go through your website if it is easier. Let me know how we can do this. Dave

·
aka. bunnybuster
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That sounds good to me. I would like tubes. I live in Ontario Canada though so I'll need to know about shipping. I can go through your website if it is easier. Let me know how we can do this. Dave
Dave,
shoot me an email:

[email protected]
I am going to be forming steel forks tomorrow....and tubes will be no problem. We will talk about handle material and shipping.
Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dave,
shoot me an email:

[email protected]
I am going to be forming steel forks tomorrow....and tubes will be no problem. We will talk about handle material and shipping.
Tom
[/quote]

·
Resident Nutcase
132 Posts
Hey,a fellow Canuck and an Ontarian too. If you are ever in Hamilton stop by for a visit.

W.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts