Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The golf balls are dimpled for a couple different reasons, so I wondering if let’s say a small marble had dimples???????? A few years ago, I wouldn’t ever have gave it a thought, but with the accuracy of some of the slingshot shooters today???????? I realize I’m splitting hairs, but I’m having slingshot shooting withdrawals, due to lack of shooting. I’m kid sitting my great nieces, which take up a lot of time???????????? which is fine. 4 more weeks, then the slingshots come out to play

·
Premium Member
9,886 Posts
4 weeks?!! I would be freaking out.
I've had Daisy 3/8" steel that had like flat spots on them and think accuracy was the reason behind them
But with my accuracy I really couldn't tell any difference.
Buddy you're going to sneak out and shoot a bit. lol

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
Hey Tag! I suppose it could help, at least with overall distance. I don't know how much improvement you'd see though, there being so many other variables. I've been out of the loop lately. Any reason you're taking a SS hiatus? Hope you're doing well :)

Reactions: Tag and MakoPat

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Oh Tag,

4 weeks would make me a pile goo.

Ibojoe knows the way of sneaky shooting... A.K.A. be Prepared (at all time for) Opportunity Of Flippery.

P.O.O.F.

Reactions: Tag

·
Premium Member
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Between watching the nieces, and helping Mother In Law it’s consumed a lot of my time. I’m glad to be able to help everyone My Mother In Law lives 30 miles from us, so we try to make the most of each trip., I’m glad the Forum is here to keep up on how everyone is doing. I should have a lot more free time at the end of May when school is out

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
They old enough to shoot tag?

I believe it does improve accuracy - would be interesting to find out if dimples would improve overpowered accuracy issues... Always suspected a pineapple or hand grenade shaped ammo would be good for hunting...

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Golf balls are dimpled to reduce drag and increase lift. Golf balls accelerate on a split second impact and slingshots by being pulled until the ball leave the pouch. I am not sure if this would translate into slingshots or not - might improve accuracy if you shoot over powered bands as Matt suggested. Also golf balls are limited on how fast they can travel (255 feet per second).

·
Premium Member
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your replies Due to this rainy weather, I’m starting to get cabin fever so my mind comes up with all sorts of things to think about‍♂

·
Registered
406 Posts
There's a video on youtube where they drill dimples into a 12ga slug, film it with high speed cameras, and decided it didn't make any difference.

But the slug they used had that shuttlecock thing going on, and it was supersonic out of the barrel...

The dimple test starts around 11:30

Reactions: Tag
1 - 11 of 11 Posts