Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really shouldn't post this but if a man can't laugh at himself, he has no business laughing at other folks.

As some of you know, I have challenged three of the guards at the local prison to a shoot out. The lad next door and I on one team they on the other. Hugo (lad) I loaned my scout and I have been trying madly to learn to shoot some of the naturals that I have built. I have tried everything from rubber bands and BBs to to tapered TBG. But the truth is that I just don't have the experience to build a natural that will shoot straight for me.

So in desperation, I ordered a torque from simpleshot, tuned it up with 3/4 TBG, 3/4 pouch and 3/8 ammo. Tested the thing a couple of times, went out to try it and the third shot slapped my in the cheek. Ok, go back watch the video on torque clips, reattach... slapped in the same spot. Now the mumbling starts. Throw the clips in a drawer and rig up with wraps and on the fourth shot, full 30 inch draw, band come off and smacks me in the lips Mumbling turns to descriptive adjectives that would make a sailor blush. OK you little wackafracker, you and I are headed to the shop! Got the tools out and widened and deepened the grooves, ground a spot for my thumb, ground a spot for my pointer finger. Wrapped the handle on the awkward sob. still can't shoot it. Got to looking at MoJo's daughter's hands and realized all this time, I have been shooting the damn thing backwards. Turn it around and it feels pretty good, other than the missing pieces that I've chewed off.

So simpleshot.... If the clouds rolled in and lightning flashed, It was me cussing you and your ancestors!... I humbly apologize to you and yours. I'm old, I have lived three score and fifteen and I just aint to whippeee anymore..

Steve.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MoJo...

I wish I had just broke down and bought another scout. But I"m a hardheaded old fool And by the time I figured out what I was doing wrong, it was to cobbled up to ever be as good as it should have been. If I can just learn enough to know what I'm doing, I'd rather build my own anyway. I think most of you guys feel the same way.

I thought of doing trick shots. Using a mirror and shooting over my shoulder, but it is easier to just turn everything around. :wacko:.

·
Premium Member
9,886 Posts
I'm sure SS has heard all this before. The torque is an amazing frame but one of the hardest to master. The forks tips are a full 1&1/4" wide allowing for wide hunting bands but harder than crap to tie on. They are built tough for sure and will withstand some fork hits.
(I know for a fact) awesome design though and very comfortable for my old arthritic hands.

Attachments

·
Mr. Mars
360 Posts
Sorry for your trouble SJA but I must say your trials had me rolling on the floor. I guess it's funnier when you aren't the one getting slapped. ????
But seriously, I will say I am starting too have regrets because I have a torque on the way for my first sling after many years. All the stories I am hearing about this little gem have me regretting my choice. I hope I don't get discouraged and start taking a grinder to mine. ????
Thanks for sharing ????

·
Mr. Mars
360 Posts
Hey SJ, I have a question for my own education. From what I have read, a torque can be held reverse and still work so I am thinking that may not be the reason you're bands kept breaking loose. It sounds like you were using flip clips, correct? I have no doubt you had them tight so the only thing can can think of is the direction you were pulling the bands. We're you pulling them back over the top of the flip clips and over the top of the forks?
If you were pulling them away from the flip clips on the same side is the only way I can think of them pulling loose.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey SJ, I have a question for my own education. From what I have read, a torque can be held reverse and still work so I am thinking that may not be the reason you're bands kept breaking loose. It sounds like you were using flip clips, correct? I have no doubt you had them tight so the only thing can can think of is the direction you were pulling the bands. We're you pulling them back over the top of the flip clips and over the top of the forks?
If you were pulling them away from the flip clips on the same side is the only way I can think of them pulling loose.
Thanks for the thought Mars. Here is the hot skinny on the Torque in my opinion.

#1 I have a roll of TBG. If you look and feel it, then do the same with simpleshot black, you'll find that the gold is thinner ans softer than the black. The clips were not designed to hold the thinner band.

#2 One of the problems with a fork designed to shoot tubes and bands is give and take. The tops of the forks measure about 1 1/8 across, If you were to put hunting or long distance, or personal preference say 1 inch SS black on them, I believe the clips would hold forever. Here I come along with my skinny thin 3/4 inch TBG and they just weren't designed to hold.

#3 Now keep in mind that I also am a novice. I make mistakes too. Most of the regulars on this forum said "get a scout or maybe one of Bill Hays' simple designs. Which I did and was richly rewarded with a shooter that was very forgiving.

For 3 months I shot the scout and learned a ton. The torque was not forgiving especially used backwards.

#4 In truth my ignorance got me in trouble and I just wasn't good enough the shoot that frame.

Hope this helps you avoid a couple of pratfalls in this hobby. Good luck and stay with it, it is a great sport.

·
Mr. Mars
360 Posts
Thanks SJ for the tip on TBG bands. You probably just saved me a few face slaps of my own. I figure I will try to go with light loads to start out with before I start increasing the power. I'm pretty paranoid of this sling and I haven't even gotten it yet. I probably stay with tubes to get started.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks SJ for the tip on TBG bands. You probably just saved me a few face slaps of my own. I figure I will try to go with light loads to start out with before I start increasing the power. I'm pretty paranoid of this sling and I haven't even gotten it yet. I probably stay with tubes to get started.
Tubes are good I'm told and will out last the bands. stay with the light ammo and a long light draw. It don't take much to punch a hole in paper or make a can jump around on a string. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
I definitely had a good laugh. Been there, done that type of thing...and still do every so often.

A few things to note. There are two very basic types of normal slingshot categories - convex handle and concave handle. Convex - the handle curves out to meet your hand (Torque). Concave - the handle curves inward so your hand must go to meet it (Scout). Most find the Concave versions more to their liking since it tends to be the more traditional design. However, there are a percentage that really like the Convex variations, Mark Seljan (on the Torque design team) being one of them.

As many will tell you, slingshot frame is a very personal fit. You must find what works for you which may be very different from everyone else.

·
Registered
532 Posts
So sorry you had problems SJAaz

What you are describing is puzzling. We have tested bands as thin and narrow as .4mm thick x 10mm wide all the way up to over 1mm thick and 27mm wide and they all held tight without issue. TBG or SS black should make zero difference, nor the width of the bands. We sure wish you had contacted us first before you modified the slingshot. We are always here to help.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So sorry you had problems SJAaz

What you are describing is puzzling. We have tested bands as thin and narrow as .4mm thick x 10mm wide all the way up to over 1mm thick and 27mm wide and they all held tight without issue. TBG or SS black should make zero difference, nor the width of the bands. We sure wish you had contacted us first before you modified the slingshot. We are always here to help.
I'd be to embarrassed to admit to all the foolish mistakes I made. Disagree with you on the TBG tho unless I have some cheap knockoff material. Those clips just won't hold the stuff especially if you put it on backwards. I love your scout but the torque is not my friend!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Well...there is not a front or a back to the Torque. As such, the clips cannot be put on backwards. The clips could be switched from right to left but it would be very obvious that it is wrong. At a loss over here on why you can't get TBG to stay put. We have a Torque in on our shipping workstation setup with .4mm sumeike cut at 10mm wide to shoot airsoft BB's and it hangs on tight.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well...there is not a front or a back to the Torque. As such, the clips cannot be put on backwards. The clips could be switched from right to left but it would be very obvious that it is wrong. At a loss over here on why you can't get TBG to stay put. We have a Torque in on our shipping workstation setup with .4mm sumeike cut at 10mm wide to shoot airsoft BB's and it hangs on tight.
Can't argue with the guys that make and sell the stuff. Must be magic...smoke and mirrors. Try heating them up to over 100, wonder if that would do it.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I really dont get why so many people have troubles with the torque. Its a very very comfortable frame. Never fork hit mine
You can't throw those comments out like that Skropi!! The SlingGods always deliver!!
486933bb0a25a5b39bad0dda4d288da8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Dont worry, they punished me already, they made a warrior pouch I have unusable for no apparent reason ????

·
Mr. Mars
360 Posts
So SJAaz
I got my Torque Saturday and have had a few days to shoot it and thought I would add my 2 cents.
I really like the look and build quality but all is not peaches and cream.
After shooting a hundred shots through it, I noticed my pinky was getting sore and realized it was because my there lower fingers did not fit on the lower indent of the handle where they should be positioned. I will attach a pic. Instead my pinky was positioned low on the grip on the bump on the handle where it is not meant to be. I tried bunching my 3 fingers up on the grip to make them fit but then it makes my thumb and index finger ride perilously close to the fork gap. Now they were in danger of a fork strike except it would be my fingers, not the fork.
I have since come to the conclusion that the Torque is not meant for larger hands. Now mind you, my hands are not huge, just too big for the torque. I wear a size 9/10 glove which is considered a large.
Well after another hundred shots, I was starting to get the hang of it and hitting what I aimed at except my pinky was getting too sore to continue. I decided to take one more shot and BLAM, I nailed my thumb. THAT HURT! Now I am gun shy and rethinking my new hobby although I shouldn't.
I know you were having problems with bands slipping which I did not have because I was shooting tubes. But one thing you did say was you were shooting yours backwards. I now know why. Simple Shot likes too say that someo people like to shoot the torque backwards and that's okay. Well to me, it's not okay. If the handle was engineered to fit the hand properly, there would be no confusion of which way to hold it.
I sent Simple Shot a message this morning asking if the slingshot is not meant for beginners, then why don't they state that on the description of the item? I also told them they should state that this slingshot may not fit larger hands. They did not respond to my messages which really ticks me off. I was planning to buy more product from them but may go elsewhere now. I know they have loyal followers and I will probably hear from them but this is my experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Getting smacked on the hand aint no fun but it is a rite of passage! Everyone has done it. I once shot the base of my pointer finger not once, but twice in a row! That will bring on the colorful adjectives! After looking at your picture, I swear to God that you're shooting it backwards :imslow:. Maybe we just aint to whippy. Turn that dirty wackerfacter packalumie over! Omg SS is going to have to put a picture in the package for us guys.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts