Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· No other shooting sport compares.
6,283 Posts
I can do it either way. And from what I am learning I am about as accurate either way. If the slingshot can be gripped flip/chinese style thats whe way I do it.

· Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,013 Posts
More input please...???... like fork height of different slingshots. If your fork tips are way up there it will hurt the wrist. It could be the angle of the wrist when pulling, try different slingshot angles. Some shoot better with the fork tips pushed away from them. Maybe the elbow is locked holding the fork...elbow should be slightly bent to absorb shock from shot. However, if you have a weak wrist (period) like I do, their is only one thing to do. You have to explore what your wrist needs to be able to shoot comfortably and still provide the accuracy you want. You may have to have a slingshot made just for you for long sessions, like tournaments.

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well yes i do have a weak wrist (but that cant be it entirely)
i do shoot properly and i had to adapt to shooting so the shot bairly misses my hand
and even with a low fork and weak bands
it still happens to me
i guess im not strong enough
but it is still strange to me that i cant seem to shoot anything hammergrip

· Registered
804 Posts
When I first started shooting non-braced slingshots, I shot hammer style (still do on my non-braced wireframes like Trumarks and Crosman) and wondered how people could shoot like that. It seemed really hard on the wrist. Over the past two years, though, I've got to the point where I don't even think about it. Best advice I can give is to stick with the lightest bands possible and just keep trying it, building up wrist strength gradually. If you don't see any improvement after a few months or so, it may just be an issue you'll have to work around by only shooting slingshots that can be finger braced (China style, as you said).

· Tex-shooter
4,275 Posts
On different styles of slingshots I use the two different grips with equal success. In fact the sling shot that I shoot the most accurately with, I use a pistol or hammer style grip. The only other thing I would add is I don't think that the thumb/forefinger grip should be called the China style. I prefer calling this grip a supported grip or shooters grip. Shooters have been using this style of grip for as long as I can remember. Maybe we need to coin another short name for it as I don’t think that it originated in china, but maybe in Africa end I don’t think that a countries name should be applied to it like they started it, because no one knows. -- Tex

· Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
10,979 Posts
Tex, here's a question for you. Didn't the whole slingshot thing start in America? I suspect that flip shooting (finger-braced) and butterfly shooting were being practiced in rural America before anybody ever heard of it abroad.
Also, I think that folks are calling it Chinese style is because of the Dankungs -- most of which can only be shot that way effectively.

· Tex-shooter
4,275 Posts
I think that slingshots as we know them started in Africa. I know that they knew about latex sap and how to make a rubber product from it before anybody else. Slaves brought slingshots with them to America. I think that the derogatory term for slingshot came from a German slaver saying that Blacks shooter! It was not meant to be derogatory, but became that because of not so nice people. Slaving was not nice nether. -- Tex

· Registered
1,517 Posts
well yes i do have a weak wrist (but that cant be it entirely)i do shoot properly and i had to adapt to shooting so the shot bairly misses my handand even with a low fork and weak bandsit still happens to mei guess im not strong enough but it is still strange to me that i cant seem to shoot anything hammergrip
I use hammer grip and have a hole drilled into the handle of my six strand 1745* for the little finger to hook into it takes alot of strain of the wrist. I dont need it but why not use it saves having problems later in life.

10,979 Posts
I think that slingshots as we know them started in Africa. I know that they knew about latex sap and how to make a rubber product from it before anybody else.
Well, what do ya know? Never knew that anyone except industrialized folk could produce a product that could be made into a slingshot band. Thanks, Tex!

· Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,249 Posts
We need more information: draw weight and length of your bands, distance from top of hand to fork and preferably pictures of your current grip...

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We need more information: draw weight and length of your bands, distance from top of hand to fork and preferably pictures of your current grip...
well i cant give any more info i gave all my hammer grip slingshots away(and i only had 2 to begin with) because i gave up on them a while ago
right now i moslty shoot a dankung
im very comfortable with my current shooting stlye
i guess i was moslty wondering if anyone else had this problem
but i guess i should hitt the weights anyway

· Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,249 Posts
well i cant give any more info i gave all my hammer grip slingshots away(and i only had 2 to begin with) because i gave up on them a while ago
right now i moslty shoot a dankung
im very comfortable with my current shooting stlye
i guess i was moslty wondering if anyone else had this problem
but i guess i should hitt the weights anyway
[/quote]
I found that problem ages ago when I removed the handle from my Barnnet BlackWidow...

10,979 Posts
i should hitt the weights anyway
Yes, Itamar, that's what it sounds like. Unless you were trying to pull double theraband gold or heavy 1/4 inch tubes, you should not have that problem -- if you are a grown man, that is.
Sam, That black widow is one sweet shooter, isn't it?
Infinitely superior to the trumark IMHO.

· Premium Member
4,132 Posts
You know, there's a LOT of easy to do exercises that will increase your wrist, grip, forearm, all the way through shoulder strength... one of the easiest is to simply buy an 8 pound sledgehammer... choke up on the handle so you're near the head... mark with a sharpie where you are holding... then while holding the sledge straight out in front of you at about shoulder height, turn the hammer left and right for reps... do the same with the other hand... then back to your other hand, move the hammer forwards and all the way back to the shoulder (like you're hammering something). Do this twice a day.
Once you're able to do 20 reps, both ways and with both hands... move down the handle an inch, and mark with the sharpie... if you stick to it, within a couple of months you'll be a LOT stronger from the ends of the hands all the way into your shoulders and back.

Like I said, there's many ways to get stronger... but this is one of the best.
If you would like to go to the next level in this kind of strength... let me suggest checking out: http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/forum/index.php it's a forum dedicated to grip and overall strength, and it contains a LOT of useful information!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.