Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Well I have been here a cotple of weeks and have been trying to get as much information as I can, so this is where I am at.

I want to have a go at doing myown bands.

I am a tight fistedJock and do not want to waste money, so hoping someone can point out some short cuts.

I bought a Scout clone, it arivedwith very very narrow bands with a small pouch.

So I bought a premade band set from Ebay.

I now want to get into my own bands, but where do I begin.

What ia a good beginerquality of band (manufacturer)

What width and thickness should I nelooking at.

I bout an A3 Cutting mat, A Rotary Cutter, and will make a Band tying jig.

Am I missing anything

Thanks G

·
Prince of Paraprosdokians and Epistemophilia
2,565 Posts
Hi folks,

Well I have been here a cotple of weeks and have been trying to get as much information as I can, so this is where I am at.

I am a tight fistedJock and do not want to waste money, so hoping someone can point out some short cuts.

I bought a Scout clone, it arivedwith very very narrow bands with a small pouch.

Am I missing anything

Thanks G
Goto Amazon.com. Search for "Securcut" safety ruler. Use it and you won't slice your fingers with the roller blade.

Enjoy!

Reactions: ForkLess and Tag

·
Registered
539 Posts
If you don't want to play the whole band-cutting-game, Alliance bands offer almost all the performance of home-cut flat therabands with several times the longevity and no rotary knife and cutting mat required. Just my 2c. I realize I push these bands a lot, but since "discovering them" (thanks Henry) they're the majority of what I shoot. I'm just as stingy with my time as my money, so less time spent cutting bands, less time spent tying bands/pouches, more time spent shooting and/or doing other things. Just my 2c.

https://slingshotforum.com/topic/10254-alliance-107-rubber-band-tests/

·
Registered
657 Posts
If you don't want to play the whole band-cutting-game, Alliance bands offer almost all the performance of home-cut flat therabands with several times the longevity and no rotary knife and cutting mat required. Just my 2c. I realize I push these bands a lot, but since "discovering them" (thanks Henry) they're the majority of what I shoot. I'm just as stingy with my time as my money, so less time spent cutting bands, less time spent tying bands/pouches, more time spent shooting and/or doing other things. Just my 2c.

What kind of ammo do you shoot? I have some 107s, but they seem overpowered for anything under 1/2 inch steel. I mostly use them to shoot rocks.

·
Registered
539 Posts

What kind of ammo do you shoot? I have some 107s, but they seem overpowered for anything under 1/2 inch steel. I mostly use them to shoot rocks.
Work fine on 5/16 steel for me.

·
Registered
745 Posts
If you want to make band sets on the cheap you can buy die cut strips and not cut anything. The taper and length on all these are going to be 12mm X 20mm X 25CM and if you want some speed with an 8mm to 10mm steel ball I would go with the .8mm thickness. I cut my own very often but also use the Chinese die cut strips. I've found they last about as long as the premium brand elastics. If you buy at least 5 packs of 20 the shipping upgrades to faster ePacket shipping. They can be had in Orange, Natural, Red and many sellers have toxic green. I have always received exactly what I ordered from the seller's link below.

Orange:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/20PCS-0-6mm-0-7mm-0-8mm-Thickness-Natural-Latex-Slingshots-Flat-Elastic-Rubber-Bands-for/32828659260.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.40d84c4dwT2em2https://www.aliexpress.com/item/20PCS-0-6mm-0-7mm-0-8mm-Thickness-Natural-Latex-Slingshots-Flat-Elastic-Rubber-Bands-for/32828659260.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.40d84c4dwT2em2

Natural:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/20PCS-0-7mm-0-8mm-Thickness-Natural-Latex-Slingshots-Flat-Rubber-Bands-for-Hunting-Catapult-Slingshot/1902008_32826698675.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.6.6aec3b6036rUwY

Toxic Green:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/SURIEEN-10PCS-Natural-Latex-Slingshots-Flat-Rubber-Band-Strong-Elastic-Part-Rubber-Bands-for-Hunting-Slingshot/1902008_32817344620.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.2.6aec3b609oboNn

For some reason unknown to me the toxic green seems to be sold by the 10 pack instead of 20 pack. It's ALL great stuff on the cheap.

As far as tying watch some YouTube videos. There are plenty on both cutting bands and tying. Some people use string, some use cuffs but I use 1mm diameter elastic to tie with. I expect most all methods work well.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Simple shot black is good stuff with great service. (Maybe pick up a real scout while your there).
I generally visit Simple Shot very few weeks and buy their entire stock of .875 in / 22.2 mm x .6 in / 15 mm taper bands in black as it works very well with the 3/8" steel and looks great on any custom slingshot I have. Last week I felt bad about it so I left one package for someone else. I suspect they only show a stock of 10 bags of 12 at a time and restock withing days. To make up for the one black package I left I bought two in natural as nothing looks as good on a natural sling as natural latex. I use a lot of the 12mm X 20mm X 25CM Chinese stuff but save the Simple Shot black for my most prized custom slingshots. It just plain looks great and performs quite well also. If you keep a lot of pre-cut bands on hand their band storage bags are very good for keeping it fresh.

Reactions: Tag and Ibojoe

·
Registered
745 Posts
Hi folks,

Am I missing anything

Thanks G
I noticed you mentioned the Scout clone. Don't expect the Ocularis clones to be anywhere near close to the real thing in looks or performance. Simple Shot discontinued the R10 Ocularis so I figured if I wanted to experience an R10 Ocularis I would need to buy the cloned one. To start off with the clone probably really is HDPE but not board cut like the real thing is. I see a mold part line all the way around it. The crappy looks are topped off with the black bleeding into the yellow in various spots and shallow spots in random places on both the front and back. I can't speak for any of the other Ocularis clone models as I can still get them from Simple Shot except the yellow and black Chalice handle Axiom Ocularis which I already have. Okay...the yellow and black R10 Ocularis clone has crappy cosmetics but how does it shoot? There lies the worst part of it. This design has narrow fork arms that flex badly even with light bands because it's too thin for this model. The narrow fork arms on this model flex so much I gave up trying to shoot it at all. You may have gotten lucky on a Scout clone but I assure you the Ocularis clones are horrible looking at best and the R10 Ocularis clone is not really even functional. If you have had thoughts on trying an Ocularis clone you may as well forget it and put those few dollars toward the real thing. They have copied more than the R10 from the Ocularis family and it is probable the ones with wider fork arms will shoot okay but I expect the same crappy cosmetics on all of them as they all come from the same maker and are all made the same way. No reason to bother with something that looks this bad when the real ones are both easily affordable and great looking to go with it.

The next and probably most important part of being thrifty with slingshot shooting is build a good catch box or catch barrel that lets you recycle all your steel. Search the forum for catch box and catch barrel and you will find several examples. I shoot indoors almost exclusively these days and into a catch barrel that saves all my steel. I never have to worry if it's too hot or cold outside or rainy or too dark. When I feel like shooting I can shoot any time I like.

Bands will always be an expendable item that must be replaced from time to time but for target practice, your ammo doesn't need to be expendable. Catch it all and recycle it all and you will be saving a lot of money in the process.

Reactions: Tag and Ibojoe
1 - 20 of 34 Posts