Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was one excited guy, Monday. First off I had a doctor appointment and was cleared to put weight on my foot for the first time in 8 weeks. That means I am able to walk, and drive again. Then I got home, sling-mail from Pocket Predator had arrived. I got my first taste of a varmint set up. A scorpion and a bag .44 cal leads. Wow this has been a good few days.I am consistently hitting my 3" spinner at 33'. I was concerned making the transition from 5/16" steel to .44cal lead. It took a little practice and fiddling around, but wow this thing thumps. I know I am going to have to buy a crony now. I just have to. I still have about 4 weeks to play like a kid every day before I go back to work. Thanks for letting me share with you. My wife is about sick of it. Wes

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
The best thing to do is to get your wife hooked on shooting.....that way you'll have a shooting buddy.
Ditto that.. I did it with my Wife, and now she shoots better than me!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The wife use to trap shoot with me years ago. Now kids,3 girls, subdivision, no longer a county boy heating my house with my wood-burning furnace, and hunting every weekend. The thing I love is I get to shoot again every day. Like I use too, Now its a slingshot with my daughters in my basement, or backyard. I'm good with that. The wife might come around. For now she just likes giving me a hard time.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hey Wrek-it, That's a great choice, one of my favorites (mine is orange) & can be strapped with some SERIOUS bands, & when you get it dialed in to suit your eye, very accurate. Be careful where ya aim that thing or the little lady will be visiting you in Joliet! Just foolin', have fun and a full recovery.

Show the wife the videos of Bill Hays wife shooting on his site, that's gonna be hard to scoff at.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ol'school, wow are you right about the bands. I have been having fun making different ones. I seem to be enjoying the .7mm sumeik 1.25" to 1" It sends the .44 lead down range with very little drop at 33 feet. Just for fun I made a double band of that cut. I dont have the grip strength to full draw that at my typical 5.25 to one so I added a inch and a half and let it fly. I let go and it hit the back stop - now . faster than my 5/16" steel. I will have to work into that set. I need to get a chrony so I'm not guessing. I'm looking forward to that adventure. I'm pumped up this is my first time with any slingshot like that.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Hey Wreck-It. Hope you heal up all the way... one good note is your down time lead you to flippery.

Do you a catchbox? How are you suburbannshooting? Your range? I live in an apartment in Cookeville, TN... so I make a portable backdrop and sneak into the woods... or shoot down my hall when no one is home.

A couple of my favorite shooters. Sheltowee- my Tiny Turtle pfs from Port Boy & my LBS from Jfive... one Milbro-esque from cedar and steel from my parents' place and a Bill Hays's core.

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks MakoPat, I am healing up well. I took over the basement with my girls they have a play area with indoor outdoor carpet I brought home from work. I get about 45' usable to shoot if they are shooting not playing. with a home made catch. Really Really big catch I have been teaching a 8 year old and a 5 year old. Im a little fearful of steel ammo in cement basement. started them with clay then as accuracy improved tightened up bands and went to steel. Its funny I have been sneaking shots out my back door. As my mobility improves I will build a small catch box for the back yard and to take with on are adventures. Good looking slings. I am looking forward to slowly getting a collection from builders in the forum. I took some pics not sure how to add.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Wrek-it, your right in being careful in a cement basement. Mine is poured concrete and I had a weird flyer one day and it ricochet aroud & stung me on my leg, hard enough to have me put an old quilt my dog used to love in back of the catch box, before I shot again. I haven't used lead, only steel so far.

As far as ammo for the neighbors kid I used chickpeas & light bands, but that was outdoors... good on you for teaching you children, it's a good beginning to instill respect for safe handling of things that could cause injury.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Speedy recovery to you man, sound like you've got the bug bad - that's fantastic! Sound like you're getting comfortable with thst setup and the heavy leads, best of luck to you and enjoy the journey!

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts