Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Going to thrift stores. Scored this great catch box project... Heavy duty 3/4"plywood and solid wood top and trim. Not one piece of mdf on it. Even the back is 3/4". This thing is heavy. It was all Mrs B could do to get it moved to the back. At one point, I was nearly compelled to help her. Somehow, she managed, though. Just kidding. I gave her a hand.

Anyway, best part was, only $20! They had just gotten it in, so we got there just right.

b3537b5f9096bf5fb439989f9601721e.jpg
925704858479b143190571f16a69271e.jpg
6f8e7daa1972d48386a5364798bf718c.jpg
5fa559b1187c7d76a5e165eca35ef91f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
That's a really nice find! Looks like you might be able to slide the doors in along the side to tuck them away? Is that from the era of square box TV's I wonder? That might be a hole at the back for wires to pass through and the box below might be where a VCR would go? Well my best guess of what it was originally built for anyway ...

It has so much potential... With a few modifications it could be a catchbox or a booze closet/bar etc...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a really nice find! Looks like you might be able to slide the doors in along the side to tuck them away? Is that from the era of square box TV's I wonder? That might be a hole at the back for wires to pass through and the box below might be where a VCR would go? Well my best guess of what it was originally built for anyway ...

It has so much potential... With a few modifications it could be a catchbox or a booze closet/bar etc...
You nailed it! The tray the TV sat on extends outwards on slides and rotates, so you could see the TV from angles. I won't be using the door tucking feature, as that would impede the hanging of targets and ball catching materials.

It's such a nice piece that it's almost a shame to use it like I'm going to. Mrs. B said the same thing, but when I asked if she wanted it for something else.... Nope. Very well, then.

Mark

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
What a great idea. When it's not in use you can just close it up and it looks like a nice piece of furniture . My catch box, made of plywood from Home Depot, cost more than $20.

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
Too nice actually. Sooner or later you're gonna start cutting into the pieces, "You don't REALLY need!" to make frames.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I set it up enough to shoot into it a little. A lot, actually. Figured out a little better how best to utilize it. Anyway, I also got to experience the joy of busting a can. Nothing as satisfying as a solid hit on a bean can. Ok, that's a lie. Two or three solid hits in a row are pure magic!

b56674976f7433c874cacdddb5831611.jpg

Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts