Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , folks ,

I'm a newbie to this forum , but I've been shooting quite simple slingshots as a boy far more than 30 years ago .

About 25 years ago , as a young man , I felt like building the kinda slingshot , that I desired to have had during my teenage years .

It did not turn out to be the best shooter , in fact I only did shoot it on very few occasions , ....... soon dumped it somewhere down the basement , ........but now I remembered about it and I thought about sharing some pictures , probably to provide some input for fellow slingshot builders in here .

This shooter is made from solid aluminium plates and sheets of different thicknesses , back then it took weeks to get it done with my little hobby routing machine .

It has a kinda bullet magazine in the interior of it's handle holding 19 leadballs .38 cal. or 22 leadballs .34 cal. or 22 steelballs 8,75 mm dia .

The ammo dispenser consists of a springloaded bar moving back and forth an interior groove , operated by a sideward lever , .............. this dispenser bar has a small chamber cut into it to accommodate ONE ball falling down into it from the main magazine , ..........if one now pulls the lever back against a coilspring , the ball chamber comes to sit flush with the outer dispenser gate to release the ball allowing it to drop into the pullhand .

Same time the interior bar prevents another ball to fall down ,....... only if the lever is released , the coilspring pushes the bar forward again , the chamber inside of the bar comes to sit flush below the magazine exit funnel again and a new ball falls , ready to be released again with a pull of the outside lever .

With an ocassional shake the mechanism works quite fine , especially with the steelballs , .......but I must admit that sometimes some binding of the balls and thus malfunctions to realease a projectile do happen , but which can easily be overcome with a strong shake of the shooter , ............when the magazine contents is about halfway through , no more hazzles do occur .

Not to have to load about 20 projectiles one by one by constantly moving the outside lever against the coilspring's force , I had thought about another loading gate at the other side of the handle , located just at the base of the fork .

This way I can simply fill in all balls into the magazine , which comes in pretty fast .

The loading gate is held in a closed position simply by friction , as I had slightly bent it ,...... so it would sit firmly in it's guiding grooves .

The band and pouch arrangement is like what I was used to from my teenage years , ........surely it would require some modifications to the standards that I have seen in here and elsewhere , ....I did not know it better back then !

Anyway ,............................. hope , that you'd still enjoy watching this design ,....... so old and almost forgotten in a dark drawer down the basement

greetz , Holzwurm

Attachments

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Thats a great story and a fantastically well thought out and executed slingshot for one young of years.

I didn't own a slingshot a kid. So my story is that my buddy owned one and I do remember just like the cartoons an acorn getting bigger and bigger until it hit me between my eyebrows.

I don't believe it I have repressed anger from the acorn shot in the head.

·
Registered
733 Posts
THAT is totally awesome! When I was younger everything I made did not work. Very nice fit on all the piece parts. I am not much when it comes to working with metal, very impressive.

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,638 Posts
I for one am thoroughly impressed!!!! That looks great even for today IMHO!!! It reminds me of something Desmond Llewelyn, who portrayed the gadget man Q in James Bond films would have come up with.

Reactions: Jolly Roger

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
Way too cool.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Impressive craftmanship but sometimes a simple naturals simply shoots better! Armstütze
Well, I think this one needs better rubber, the square elastic ain't the best performer out there. But that would be easy to change.

And the "Armstütze" (wrist brace) is legal in most European countries, like Austria. I guess this is where the TS comes from.

Jörg

·
Registered
737 Posts
Impressive craftmanship but sometimes a simple naturals simply shoots better! Armstütze
Well, I think this one needs better rubber, the square elastic ain't the best performer out there. But that would be easy to change.

And the "Armstütze" (wrist brace) is legal in most European countries, like Austria. I guess this is where the TS comes from.

Jörg
[/quote]

Jep i know that but i know another thing, too

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Everybody thanks so much for their kind words about this creation of mine from sucha long time ago , I really appreciate these
!

Since a few fellow countrymen had pointed out to me , that wristbraces on slingshots were illegal in my location(which I did not know before)I have descided on making a few modifications on this slingshot to render it into a legal shooting device .

Spent some time in the workshop this rainy Sunday afternoon , .......I've disassembled the wristbrace and littered it ,...... also , accordingly to local restrictions , I have disabled the possibility of mounting wristbraces by plugging the screwholes of the former wristbrace with epoxyglue , .......still to be worked flush after final curing .

I have also shortened the fork ends , so that a wristbrace should probably not really be neccessary anymore(the pistol grip with it's two rearward extensions top and bottom already provides an excellent grip of the holding hand) , ...........also rounded off the fork's tips and carved the attachement grooves for the flat bands that I intend to tie on , .............only in a coarse condition yet , gonna procceed with fine grade filing and sanding , also breaking all sharp edges , during the next days .

But I still have a question , .........on my readily tied set of double flat bands the bands are about twice as wide as the fork ends here ,........ would it be better to tie them on folded into half of their width(so that they won't protrude over the sides of each fork end) or put them over the tips with their full width , .....in this case they'd protrude over the sides quite a bit and I'm thinking , that this might decrease their livetime , as the fixing twine would kinda cut into the protruding portions on either side ?

Would be glad about an advice on that matter .

Anyway , ...........thanks a lot again for all comments , help and advice , .......hope that some day I'd be able to give something back
!

PS :

@ shot in the foot

Presently I'm working on some wooden fishing lures , but I also have another shooter on my mind ,......... similar to the one in my avatar , but slightly larger for stronger tubular bands and with a 20 mm thick aluminium frame . I have already purchased stainless steel eyescrews with metric threads(30mm shafts) , both 5 mm and 6 mm wire dia , .....gonna see which one would fit better .

If possible , I want to integrate a little magazine into the handle as well , but still not sure yet about the dispenser mechanism , ........ordered for a bullet mold .437 cal. on a special offer , but it won't arrive that fast , they said ,......before I don't have some projectiles to determine about the magazine shape and size , I can't start cutting the aluminium out , .......need to leave the block rectangular for clamping and accurate marking , cutting out the interior at first ,...... the outer shape is in order when the interior magazine and dispenser mechanism would be completed .

I also have two natural forks to dry down the basement , might procceed on these as well some day

Apart from that I recently had a brief idea about blending my old and my new hobby into just one piece of wood , ........namely a fishing lure , on which tubular bands can be quickly attached(and hooks easily disassembled) to shoot some small projectiles like .22 cal.
!

I already have one particular lure model of mine in mind , but still need to think over details and also lure dynamics , so that it would still swim attractively(in that case of course with bands taken off) .

Just a gimmick , .........but building sometimes weird things is a challenge and a thrill to me
!

greetz , Holzwurm

Attachments

·
Registered
881 Posts
This is a piece of art, not only a slingshot. Too bad you had to dismounted for being illegal in your country. I really like you design, it gives slingshots, a new dimention. Saludos.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.