Slingshots Forum banner

I like wide forks (pic heavy)

2K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  slingitgood 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is my first post to Homemade Slingshots.

I designed this myself by borrowing (stealing) ideas from other designs and designers. I wanted to incorporate those ideas to accommodating a specific grip that I like. Made from hickory and homemade burlap micarta, finished with BLO and BLO & Beeswax paste mix. The fork with is 100mm with 27mm tips. 110mm tall. Results below.

Wood Gesture Finger Thumb Artifact
Hand Wood Finger Hardwood Wood stain
Hand Wood Plant Gesture Scaled reptile
Arm Leg Human body Wood Gesture
Hand Wood Finger Thumb Gesture
Wood Gesture Thumb Nail Wood stain

I used CAD software to model the design and I 3d printed many versions until I found what I wanted.

Organism Terrestrial plant Gesture Graphics software Font
Window Wood Plant Tree Font

I really like the look and feel of hickory with BLO. The hickory has a nice weight to it and the BLO leaves the wood with a soft/natural feel that is easy to hold. I made a FTC copy with the same process few months back using the same design/built process. I copied the FTC design from all the information I could gather off the internet but once I printed it I found the forks were too narrow for my liking, so I widened the design and after testing the 3d printed version I made the hickory one.

Wood Hardwood Font Composite material Tool
Wood Bicycle part Tool Auto part Metal

I added the pinky hole to the design because I like the added feel of stability I had with this all metal frame I have.

Wood Blade Font Tool Nickel

If anyone wants a template of the design I will be happy to post it.

Almost forgot the shooting video.

Attachments

See less See more
1 11
#12 ·
It looks perfect, you should add it into this month's SOTM contest :headbang:
Is this months SOTM going for the design with shooting accuracy in mind? I have a few ideas of a new design for accuracy but I'm limited by my tooling at home. I used to have a full wood shop but I moved a few years back and had to get rid of all my big tools. Some day I'll have a shop again.

#18 ·
They look great!
I tried my skill at a natty, will
never again but like the side shooter concept.
I randomly found some thicker alu and would gladly like to see your template.
All my frames are symetrical so would be nice to shoot a non.
THX, ukj
Thank you for the kind words. Not sure if this will work here or if I need to post this into the templates section.

Here is the template for the profile, I did change the design to be a bit more ergonomic when I was sanding. Make sure you select "No Scaling" when you print so it comes out to be the correct size. This version is for Left-Hand Hold. If you need a Right-Hand Hold let me know and I can reverse the design in my CAD software.

View attachment Pinky Knuckle.pdf

Here's a few more photos that show the profiling I did when sanding.

Side Profile:

Wood Gesture Thumb Nail Wood stain

Top Fork indented for better indexing:

Arm Wood Finger Wood stain Varnish

Bottom Fork intended for better indexing:

Wood Hardwood Wood stain Tool Art

If you do end up making one I would love to see it.

Attachments

#26 ·
Nice shooting Harry what size ammo do ya use and what are the bands :question:
I shoot 3/8" almost exclusively, I'll shoot 8mm frameless every once in a while.

I use Simpleshot Black .5 with a 19mm-16mm (3/4 - 5/8) taper at ~13" active band length. I shoot roughly 300 shots every day so I don't use an extreme taper. I get about 700 shots before I need to cut off the pouch and retie. I'll usually retie the pouch 2 more times after the first install. This gives me close to 2000 shots per bandset, as long as it doesn't break at the fork.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.