Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Nice looking fork. What kind of wood is it? Is it dry or green? I am with those who suggested cutting it down, I think it will be a better shooter.
GP
Not sure of the wood type,the bark was rotted so it left the wood dark.Thanks everyone for the advice,I was thinking about trimming the forks a bit.
If you can take a close up pic or two, I might be able to I.D. it for you. ( Maybe)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice looking fork. What kind of wood is it? Is it dry or green? I am with those who suggested cutting it down, I think it will be a better shooter.
GP
Not sure of the wood type,the bark was rotted so it left the wood dark.Thanks everyone for the advice,I was thinking about trimming the forks a bit.
If you can take a close up pic or two, I might be able to I.D. it for you. ( Maybe)
It was in a stand of cotton woods(my favorite tree by the way)and is light weight.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
"It was in a stand of cotton woods(my favorite tree by the way)and is light weight."

Definitely short the forks and leave as thick as you can then.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
"It was in a stand of cotton woods(my favorite tree by the way)and is light weight."

Definitely short the forks and leave as thick as you can then.
Yes, cotton wood is not known for it"s strength. I think shorter is better. Be careful and test it real good before spending a whole lot of time on it.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
I'd say about half the length, here's a wishbone natty for reference:

Nice looking fork by the way!

Wood Hand tool Eyewear Tool Font

Attachments

Reactions: Island made

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
GP
It was in a stand of cotton woods(my favorite tree by the way)and is light weight.
Take a pic of the end grain when your working on it. Sometimes that's all that's needed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts