Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I need some help in updating the " Glossary and Slang " thread.

When you come across something that needs to be added to the list, post it and I'll enter it in.

Eventually I'll put the slang/phrases in alphabetical order.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Dear Flatband!
Thanks for your excellent devotion for us.
I was just wondering if I can copy those glossary to my website and I was trying to find the original author.
I find similar thing at slingshot community also.

Can I do what I said? I will credit you and all other contributor we knew at the top part.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi JPD Madrid. I see no problem making a copy for yourself. As far as the original author of the list, that would be me. I didn't come up with all the slang terms, I just put all the ones I knew in a list. There are some newer terms/slang, so post them when you here/see them!

·
Super Moderator
6,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good question Stevekt. I'm thinking the person would be a Slingshooter. The actual act would be Slingshot Shooting?

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
What is the correct term for a person that uses a slingshot? Slingshooter? Slingshotter? Slingshot Shooter?
Also related, what is the act of shooting a slingshot? Slingshooting? Slingshotting? Slingshot Shooting?
I been call us "slingers" or "flipsters".

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
What is the correct term for a person that uses a slingshot? Slingshooter? Slingshotter? Slingshot Shooter?
Also related, what is the act of shooting a slingshot? Slingshooting? Slingshotting? Slingshot Shooting?
I been call us "slingers" or "flipsters".
So Pat's a Hipster and a Flipster?? :rofl:

·
Registered
2,560 Posts

·
aka CYBORG
2,060 Posts
As a senior member of the language police, I propose banning an adjective from the slingshot vernacular and related discussions. AWESOME - a once powerful and special word has been rendered impotent and lame from flagrant over use, and sadly, it's culture wide. Landing on the moon was awesome, sending a robotic probe to Mars is awesome, Schwarzenegger in his body building prime, or heart transplant surgery, etc, ... definitely awesome.

Tying flat bands on an old wrist rocket is not awesome. Neither is sawing a board cut out of plywood, learning to shoot bareback, or Maroon 5. It's widely believed that those who cuss recklessly reveal a lack of vocabulary - the same can be said for those who marginalize robust words through frequent and inappropriate use.

Our sport doesn't necessarily require a high IQ, but we do a disservice to our simple hobby by dumbing down our overly enthusiastic responses to all of the minutiae involved.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
As a senior member of the language police, I propose banning an adjective from the slingshot vernacular and related discussions. AWESOME - a once powerful and special word has been rendered impotent and lame from flagrant over use, and sadly, it's culture wide. Landing on the moon was awesome, sending a robotic probe to Mars is awesome, Schwarzenegger in his body building prime, or heart transplant surgery, etc, ... definitely awesome.

Tying flat bands on an old wrist rocket is not awesome. Neither is sawing a board cut out of plywood, learning to shoot bareback, or Maroon 5. It's widely believed that those who cuss recklessly reveal a lack of vocabulary - the same can be said for those who marginalize robust words through frequent and inappropriate use.

Our sport doesn't necessarily require a high IQ, but we do a disservice to our simple hobby by dumbing down our overly enthusiastic responses to all of the minutiae involved.
This post is amazing. (Hahahaha) I still use awesome, but I use it like we used to use in its powerful and terrible way of striking awe into the hearts of men... you know? Rocking like a hurricane!

I am a flippery flipster, but ne'er a hipster (intentionally). If I am ever cool it is purely accidental.

PS- we will have to disagree about Maroon 5. The rest is very agreeable for me.

Here is a meme that supports my stance on Maroon 5. For those of who do not know IEP stands for Individual Educational Plan for students with special needs. I was a Sped. Teacher.

Attachments

·
Mojave Mo
5,181 Posts
Yikes. My conundrum is that I am almost invisible, and I like it like that. Aside from this forum and email, I don't reside in the Intermess and just barely in the real world. One day I'll be in the news because I took out a bank robber with my sling. Until then I'll be slinging from over here!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,750 Posts
So we have these terms so far as to what we are called:

Slingists

Slingers

Slingsters

Flippers

Flipsters

Slingshooters

Slingshoters

Slingshot Shooters

Pea Shooters

Bean Shooters

Now as far as the actual act of shooting with a Slingshot:

Slingshooting

Slingshot Shooting

Slinging

Flipping

If we have any more,feel free to add them in this thread.

Then we'll put it to a vote and the winning terms will be added to the Glossary.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Flatband,

That about covers it... well, for now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts