Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shooting before, TTF it's the most comfortable way to shoot for me.

I have always read that when you shoot TTF you place the target above the center of the band, and when you shoot OTT you aim with the corner of the fork.

Well, I have noticed that I shoot much better TTF targeting with the corner of the fork.

Does this happen to anyone else? Should I change my posture when shooting?

(I guess the answer is that I aim the way that works for me, but I wanted to know if this happens to someone else)

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
What happens when you change the target distance either closer or further? If POI stays on target then maybe this works for you. If POI moves to the side then maybe you need to get your eye over the pouch or adjust your release or work on your follow-through.

I always aim TTF using the center of my bands. My frame has an aiming groove on the side so I position the bands centered on the groove.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Your posture and alignment are allowing you to shoot that way. If that remains consistent then you have nothing left to do but practice. If you find you are shooting to one side or the other than something in your alignment has change.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I shoot TTF as well, I use a pen and draw a line on the top band to aim with. I have discovered the hard way that the fork width is critical to establish elevation . Too narrow and I shoot high to wide and I shoot low.. For my 32 inch draw length 3 7/8 inch outside fork width is perfect. For me a consistent release is the most difficult and hardest to master. My thumb and fingers are still numb from practice. Hopefully they will soon get toughened up soon.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tomorrow I will shoot again and get conclusions, but I was shooting at various distances, and I was hitting the target (a small plastic cup of coffee) 7 out of 10 times aiming with the corner of the fork.

If I aimed with the center of the bands, the ball always went a little to the right of the target and did not hit it as many times.
Height or vertical axis was not the problem. The problem was the lateral axis, the ball always went a bit to the right if I aimed with the center of the band.

I was focusing on my body posture and anchor point of the pouch, and I think they were correct and comfortable for me...

I dont knoy, I will get more conclusions tomorrow... thank you.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
In line with Northerner's suggestion- I am guessing you are slightly mis-aligned while shooting. With either OTT or TTF there should be a straight line from the pouch through the center of the bands to the target. Thus for OTT, you should also aim down the center of the bands- it just happens that this is the thin edge of the bands which are right at the fork tip when shooting OTT.

Ideally the bands and fork tip should be at 90 degrees, thus the fork tip will be a perfect side to side reference when shooting OTT (though elevation will change with distance). For TTF, this should happen when sighting down the center of the band and not the fork tip. If you are hitting left or right of band center with TTF, it most likely means you are not sighting down the band and / or the bands are not 90 degrees from the fork. If this is the case, it may be worth looking at as getting the fork - band alignment away from 90 degrees increases the risk of fork and hand hits with TTF shooting.

I often have shots hitting left or right of band center when shooting TTF. When I get in a rut like this I look carefully at my form and usually discover I am a bit out of line. When I get that fixed, I am back to the middle of the bands being "on" for the horizontal.

If this the case your shots should start drifting sideways if you shoot at different distances as per @Northerner 's suggestion. Maybe you're dead center at 10 M but hitting to the right at 7m and to the left at 15m or something like that?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Okay, well I hope I have a little time to shoot tomorrow.

I will review about the straight line between the pouch-band center-target, and about the 90° between the bands and the fork tip when shooting. (I upload a photo of how I have the band on for what it's worth)
Finger Camera accessory Cable Gadget Wrist

I will also shoot at more different distances to see if there is any variation.

And I will also check the position of my body with respect to the target when shooting. Before aiming I position myself in profile to the target, with the outside of my shoulder looking directly at the target. And then I aim.

About drawing a stripe in the middle of the band, I had thought about it but I use black bands and it would not be seen...

I will review all these things to see if I get conclusions...

And if I do not clarify anything at least I hope to continue hitting the target lol, maybe this way of aiming works for me for some reason haha.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Imho a line drawn centered on top band directly sighted inline with target
with clean release should work, if the frame corner is used something is not lined up correctly. Elevation is frame width and anchor dependant as well as range. If I were you would seek out many great online ttf info from guys who surely know, bad habits can be hard to stop.
An image came to mind,
Using ott gangsta bands are lined up vertical therefore top fork corner inline with bands and target.
Fot ttf to use the fork corner sight bands would have to be mounted with the center on corner leaving the other half not attached which would simply not work.
Visualize a ttf band laying on top of a mounted ott setup to understand why
a fork corner sight works for ott not
for ttf.
ukj

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, so it seems that I shouldn't keep aiming with the corner even if I hit the target ... I really don't want to pick up bad habits that are difficult to change later, as you say.

I will look for information and practice more.
Thanks to all.

·
Registered
930 Posts
There is no problem if you shoot with the corner of the tip with TTF. Especially if you have a slight canting with the frame because of comfort or anatomical issue. This minor tweak allows you to keep a neutral hand position for your body while still having a reference point. Just off a bit. In my case I shoot with the center of the (top) bands, but my bottom band is purposely misaligned with TTF. Just do your changes consciously and look for correlations. You will find a proven method that works, if you found it do not try to make corrections drastically anyways.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Who knows if my anatomy or the posture that is comfortable for me makes me aim better with the corner, I don't know. I'm going to keep practicing and doing tests and variations.

Today I was only able to shoot for 15 minutes and it was already night, but I have noticed a certain improvement if I do not strongly support the hand of the pouch against my face.
The shots went better if I just kept my hand gently brushing the right spot on my cheek.

I hope to have more time during the weekend, I'll tell you what's up, greetings and have a good weekend!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Who knows if my anatomy or the posture that is comfortable for me makes me aim better with the corner, I don't know. I'm going to keep practicing and doing tests and variations.

Today I was only able to shoot for 15 minutes and it was already night, but I have noticed a certain improvement if I do not strongly support the hand of the pouch against my face.
The shots went better if I just kept my hand gently brushing the right spot on my cheek.

I hope to have more time during the weekend, I'll tell you what's up, greetings and have a good weekend!
That's starting to sound like a possible alignment issue. I'm assuming you hold the frame in your left hand. If pulling your right hand deeper into your face moves POI to the right then possibly you were looking across your bands before. I've shot frames where I had to gently touch my face and other frames where I had to firmly press against my ear for center hits. Many of us find a sweet spot for our neck and frame position so moving away from our sweet spot might not be as easy as slightly altering your pouch hand pressure against anchor point.

You might want to try aiming at a mirror to check your alignment. Put a piece of tape on the mirror. Check to see if you have linear with your eye, pouch, bands, fork tip and target spot. Don't shoot a ball when doing this :)

Enjoy figuring out the problem. Eventually it will be something to put away so you can help the next guy with the problem.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's starting to sound like a possible alignment issue. I'm assuming you hold the frame in your left hand. If pulling your right hand deeper into your face moves POI to the right then possibly you were looking across your bands before. I've shot frames where I had to gently touch my face and other frames where I had to firmly press against my ear for center hits. Many of us find a sweet spot for our neck and frame position so moving away from our sweet spot might not be as easy as slightly altering your pouch hand pressure against anchor point.

You might want to try aiming at a mirror to check your alignment. Put a piece of tape on the mirror. Check to see if you have linear with your eye, pouch, bands, fork tip and target spot. Don't shoot a ball when doing this :)

Enjoy figuring out the problem. Eventually it will be something to put away so you can help the next guy with the problem.
Well if you tell me that you also have to press your hand less against the face with some frames, I'll be a little calmer since I'm not the only one lol.

Yes I hold the slingshot with my left hand. I use the scout XT.

At the end, each one of us has some measurements and proportions of arms etc... and also the comfortable position for one person may not be for another... Perhaps someone is more comfortable completely in profile to the objective and another person a little less profile. Or with the neck more or less turned.

I will be doing more tests and commenting on it here, since as you say it can help other people with the same problem.

I will also do the mirror test, without shooting the ball of course haha greetings.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts