Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I grew up shooting nothing but rocks for ammo and I must say, I still really enjoy shooting rocks. No, they are not as accurate as purpose made slingshot ammo. Some hook, some slice, some dive, some climb, and POI changes with variations in weight, but there is just something about picking up what you have available at your feet and doing your best to put it where you want it. Anyone else enjoy slingin' stones?

·
Premium Member
9,947 Posts
I personally have enough trouble hitting stuff with perfectly round ammo. lol
I grew up shooting rocks but never got good at it. I first realized the difference was when I swiped the marbles from the Chinese checker game. Big difference!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I am forever picking up golf ball size rocks to launch from my shepherd's sling. However, I sling for distance and not accuracy.

Not so interested in shooting rocks from a slingshot, which is shoot for accuracy. There are so many other variables, I rely on round ammo (marbles) for consistency - this lets me work on my form and follow through.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am forever picking up golf ball size rocks to launch from my shepherd's sling. However, I sling for distance and not accuracy.

Not so interested in shooting rocks from a slingshot, which is shoot for accuracy. There are so many other variables, I rely on round ammo (marbles) for consistency - this lets me work on my form and follow through.
I generally shoot for accuracy as well, but there are times I just shoot for the pure joy of launching projectiles. I'll shoot at distant objects I have no hope of hitting just to see how close I can get, or squat down low to the surface of a lake and see how many times I can get a rock to skip with a good hard launch, or shoot out over that same water to see just how far out I can get splash down. I shoot rocks because it's fun and helps me to feel like a kid again.

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
I'm so bad that I usually just stick to marbles/ SS ammo. I do occasionally shoot rocks for want of anything better, and I typically aim for a road sign or something in the distance, just to see if I can hit it. I started out with gravel stones though, and you never have to worry about collecting them for later use :)

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
I love to shoot rocks .. they hit like no other !!! .. and your right .. nothing like picking up semi round rocks and letting them fly! .. no guilt of wasting money like the steel balls ... unless you hit a window that is lol !

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts

Haha I have 2 slings and I tried letting it rip and next thing I hear is a car alarm going off and me running away. Got one of mine from a fair in Mexico for artisans. Seems to be made completely of a hay type of material. Someone said it resembled horse hair (what whips are made of)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have always shot rocks downward on a hard surface to get them to spin on the bounce to get that sweet sweet sound they make, reminds me of the noice old west shows would use when cowboys shot their pistols.
Hehe, I do that as well, love that ricochet sound!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another thing I like to do on hard surfaces is set out a can,
water balloon, or any other reactionary target, shoot well low, skipping the rock and try to tag the target on the hop.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I occasionally shoot rocks. But only with my old HTS (one of the original ones). It has wide enough forks to let the rock out before it can go askew and hit my hand. Its also tough enough to take a fork hit should that happen. Ive not had a fork hit but i dont trust a rock ever to fly straight. Yup like everyone has said they are fun once in awhile to shoot.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Shooting rocks is great fun, providing that they are smooth and rounded, and ideally relatively symmetrical in shape.

Rivers are great places to find this type of ammo. Although not great for accuracy like steel ball bearings, rocks definitely hit hard. A key issue is having a fork width that accommodates this natural ammo with the appropriate band set and pouch. Least but not last, I strongly recommend using a fist grip slingshot, just in case you do get a nasty fork hit: think happy fingers.

Here is a video of mine on the subject:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts