Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
I have used them since 2003! I treat the knot after it is applied with a little dab of Fray/Check. Here is how I tie them! I use cotton butcher's twine #16 because it is soft, lays flat and does not injure the rubber!
Ts8FmVURNxk

·
Neophyte
2,119 Posts
I use plain utility cotton twine from Walmart and just tie the knot snug. Never had one slip on me or come loose. Before I learned to tie a proper constrictor knot, I inadvertently tied a millers knot. That knot would loosen and slip like crazy. To me wrap and tuck is fiddley as a pouch attachment method. Works great to attach the bandset to the frame though :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
In 2008 I started using a constrictor knot with #3 cotton crochet string (a dab of white glue as well). Within the last 2 years I switched to the tying ribbon and recently to the crystal tying thread.
Same here, been typig it with crystal string since day 1. Cotton probably do a better job at not tearing the band, but it's less common and expensive compared to crystal string. One the other hand, my band set up is tapered for competition, lasts only around 150-200 shots. Guess I'm just used to typing bands quick with the simpliest method instead of the constrictor's, which I tried and forgot... lol

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
I’ve got to try this. I’ve always just wrapped and tuck with strips of whatever material the band is. I’m thinking the string would have to increase band life.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Awesome video!!!! A new way of tying it, at least for me.

I've been using it ever since, in cotton twine. Had a brief stint with rubber tying some time ago, but I realised that they were decreasing my band life.

Rubber on rubber produces way more friction than cotton on rubber.

THANKS for the tutorial!!!! :wave:

Q

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
My go to knot, before I used the surgeons knot which works quite well also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I use constrictor knot exclusively, and a synthetic thread which here is called something like "mason's thread" which I burn/melt with the lighter and then press with my finger against the knot. Never had a failure but did have some burns..

cheers,

jazz

·
Premium Member
11,461 Posts
Thanks Tex, I purchased some thin cotton crochet thread and some fray/check This is my first time without cuffs on my tubes. I haven’t got to shoot with these tubes, but I’ve stretched them away from my face several times I’m excited to be able to make tube sets without cuffs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
May seem trivial but I just have to post this. I just tied my first constrictor knot without using an instructional diagram!!! :rolleyes: Actually tied about 5 or 6 before I realized it. Does that make me a member of the slingshot knot tying club? It's the little things in life that become more important the older you get.

Also tried using the internal paracord threads. The white threads are so much easier to see and easier to tie with than the thin black cotton string found in the wifes sewing stuff. Probably pick up some crochet thread next trip to the craft store.

·
Registered
280 Posts
When i need a knot i use the constrictorknot. And allways the inside of a paracord. I cut a length of paracord. Melt it in one end. Pull of the sheet, and burn the seperate strands in the other end. When i need one i yank one free. Now i just cut the ends off when its tied down and let them fray on the side of the pouch, Never had a slip.

/Uba

1 - 20 of 22 Posts