Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...making new slingshots, of course!

I have a liking for stainless steel rod slingshots, particularly the 8 mm variety, which will truly take the strongest flat bands to shoot large ammo (.50 cal and more) without compromising safety.

As I am not so keen on paracord wrapping, fluted beech wood blocks to attach flat bands, and a grip with fluted sides, make for a fairly ergonomic steel rod slingshot: my objective with the 8 steel rod versions was to enable both a fist grip and a pinch grip option (a "hybrid" of sorts). I used a water-based wood sealant for the wood finish.

I'll be honest, my hands are just a shade small for a comfortable pinch-grip mode (11 cm or 4.3 inches width), but anyone with larger hands may find this design, with holding grooves filed into the steel rod at the forks, quite pleasant to use - particularly if the "Dankung" bent rod slingshots, albeit very nicely made, are simply too small for some of you.

As I do not have a router, I used a drill on a drill stand to create the fluted sides: the technique consists of measuring the width between the slingshot rod loops (forks and the grip section) and adding half the thickness of the rod on each side. Sawing along the center line of the drilled hole will result in a fluted piece of wood: I have a tutorial video that demonstrates the bending process and the making of the wood parts here: (NB - you will need a rod bender)

I have attached some photographs of my 4 new homemade slingshots: enjoy & let me know what you think.

Pebble Shooter

Attachments

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your great comments. The hand width issue for the 8 mm stainless steel rod versions does not mean that people with average hand sizes cannot use a pinch grip, but rather that it will be more comfortable for those with slightly larger, or should I say, wider hands than average.

The key question is how wide the gap is between your second index finger joint and your thumb joint when you open these to their maximum: in my case, this reaches almost 12 cm. The width between the two fork tip grooves of the 8 mm steel rod versions is 11 cm, so I can shoot in pinch grip mode, but an extra bit of width would make it more comfortable when wrapping the index finger joint and thumb joint around those grooves. I have shot my slingshot in pinch grip mode with fairly strong bands, it's OK, but maybe I would not do dozens of shots in this way.

A narrower grip section and fork loops would be the logical answer, but I have limitations as to what I can do with my rod bender and the dies I have. For those seeking a compact rod bender that fits into a standard sized vice, have a look here, if ever (only US$ 45, made in America):

http://bacindustries.com/product3-bending-forming-tools-rod-mighty.php

Cold bending 8 mm stainless steel (maximum for this bending tool) is a chore, so be prepared. I have made several 8 mm steel rod slingshot frames with this unit, but a stronger and longer rod bender will certainly be more comfortable. A good pair of protective gloves and safety glasses should always be used when bending metal of any kind.

I have attached a photo of the setup I use to make my cold bent steel rod and aluminum rod slingshots: give it a try, it's fun - and you know for sure that it's made of steel when you start shooting!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts