Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been away for a few years, but had cataract surgery and can see again, so I'm having fun shooting again. I need very light bands though because I've got this rotator cuff thing going on in the left shoulder.

I have a box of boardcuts and a few naturals from the old days, but I haven't messed with a wire frame at all, so I bought a couple F16's. Dang, these things are built like a tank, and for less than $5.

I tried cutting off the tube and rolling the piece back down over a file band. Nope, doesn't hold. So I reversed the forks and tied the file band on top of that little tube piece with a rubber band, works great. I found a piece of light exercise band in the box, and the rolled cuff method holds that fine. Oh, and I tried cutting the band with a guillotine style paper cutter instead of my rotary, and it worked great. Wish I'd thought of that before.

But, now I have the urge to try tubes. Where is a reliable place to buy them? I looked on Amazon, and it looks like buyer beware, and I don't do eBay. I want to set up one for .177 BB until my shoulder heals.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a great video and looks like a simple way to do it, as long as you have some small tubes.

I don't have a way to measure the draw weight of my first two experiments. They feel similar to holding a 3 pound dumbbell, maybe a bit lighter.

The flat band is slightly easier to draw and zings a BB out slightly harder than the file band, judging by the sound hitting a 5 gallon pail at 25 feet. I have a jug out at 50 feet but haven't hit it with a BB yet. It's easier to hit with the 6 mm soft air pellets, I don't know why. In my basement the BB goes through two sides of an aluminum beverage can with the flat band and one side with the file band. I draw 30 inches to my ear.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
That's a great video and looks like a simple way to do it, as long as you have some small tubes.

I don't have a way to measure the draw weight of my first two experiments. They feel similar to holding a 3 pound dumbbell, maybe a bit lighter.

The flat band is slightly easier to draw and zings a BB out slightly harder than the file band, judging by the sound hitting a 5 gallon pail at 25 feet. I have a jug out at 50 feet but haven't hit it with a BB yet. It's easier to hit with the 6 mm soft air pellets, I don't know why. In my basement the BB goes through two sides of an aluminum beverage can with the flat band and one side with the file band. I draw 30 inches to my ear.
If you don't have the tubes to sandwich the file bands or 1632 tubes you can just wrap a small piece of flat band around the prong, then lay the file band/1632 on that and roll the big tube over all of it. If the file band/1632 is compressed between two pieces of latex it won't slip. The file bands/1632s just don't have enough surface area to grab on their own. I also use this method with leather tabs.

Also, I shoot a lot of 117b office bands (full loops, 37,38 inch draw) and have found that I really have to max them out to get decent power. The longevity is not great but they are so inexpensive I don't care.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
To your question of where to get them, Simple Shot has 1632 tubes and are a great quality. But now I get mine from slingshooting.com for half the price...highest quality and half the price of simple shot tubes. You do have to wait 2 weeks for delivery from china, that also a factor.

Glad you're getting back to shooting, I just got a F16 and excited to try it out.

cheers

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just shot a few 6 mm soft air balls in the basement to see if they would penetrate a beverage can, given the light weight.

They seem to zip out pretty well.

At about 12 feet the sound was the familiar rattle of piercing one side.

So I backed up to 25, which is all the room I have. Bad idea, because this time there were 3 separate noises: the bounce off the can, another bounce way left behind the TV, the third one the wall behind me. Like 3 rails in pool.

And yes, safety glasses always. You never know.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been afraid of steel indoors because if I miss and hit my concrete block wall it's coming back at like 95% speed, but now I'm leaning back that way. In the past I shot mostly egg sinkers if I need some power.

I did some careful measurements tonight.

My draw isn't really 30 like I thought, if I measure only the stretched rubber length it's 25.5. The pouch and thumb add a little of course but it's the rubber that cares. That may increase as I get back into it but it explains why file bands don't perform.

I cut my flat bands to 5.5 inch active length, and it took 3 pounds 15 ounces force to pull them to 25.5. (measured by clamping the slingshot to a stepladder, hanging a container, and adding rocks until I got to the length, then weighing on a kitchen scale. A luggage scale is easier but this is what I had.)

So a 4 pound pull is enough for some indoor target shooting with light ammo. Might get some 1/4 tomorrow and see how it does. But BBs are so cheap, if I can learn to shoot them.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tried shortening the file bands by an inch, now 5 inches active length instead of 6. I get much more zip, now they're equal or better to the flat band setup, but also a heavier weight draw.

In the basement I can only shoot 25 feet. Outside i have a spinner hung at 50 feet, the top of a coffee can. I can hit it with BBs but the trajectory is quite looping. Soft air seems to be a waste of time outdoors. I may try some of the simple shot ammo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.