Slingshots Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now!  ENDING SOON

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I am a total newbie that has always shot a marksman (wrist brace) slingshot. I think I have looked at every vendor and post on here! LOL.

I made a few the other night... VERY VERY fun. They shoot great. Maybe I will try to get some pics.

This weekend, Ill probably try my own "design". And maybe I will snap a few pics.

But here is my "problem". I would like to buy a nice sling shot but Im so new I dont know what Im looking for. LOL. Is there a thread or a post or something that kind of describes "styles" and shapes?

For example, I see the old traditional "hammer style" grip with the shapes like the bunny busters. What I would call "traditional styles". I think what I like more is the smaller more compact sling shots where the shooter puts their fingers up on the forks. (not sure what that style is called).

And then there are the "modern" metal frames. Very sexy and sleek indeed! I may need one of those as well.

So, help a newbie out?

All I know is that there is somethign innate about a more "traditional" style slngshot like I made the other night. I used the "tex" style but held it with my fingers on the forks and the accuracy was WAY better than my old marksman slingshot. Almost a natural shooting style if that makes sense.

I know I know... I collect watches and knives so I know the "newbie" questions are a pain... Sorry.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Generally, the grips are:

• Hammer grip
  • High finger grip
  • Wrist braced grip
  • Others
Manufacturing styles tend to be:

• Natural forks
  • Traditional board cut
  • Ergonomic board cut
  • Bent rod
  • Cast
  • Others
Materials may include:

• Wood
  • Plastic
  • Composite plastics
  • Steel
  • Others
  • Laminated combinations of the above
Slingshots offer infinite variety; potentially even more than knives. Some are historically collectible and others ones in current production are the start of a future collection. Find a maker whose philosophy and style you like and pick his best work.

Reactions: PJB21

·
Registered
330 Posts
Generally, the grips are:

• Hammer grip
  • High finger grip
  • Wrist braced grip
  • Others
Manufacturing styles tend to be:

• Natural forks
  • Traditional board cut
  • Ergonomic board cut
  • Bent rod
  • Cast
  • Others
Materials may include:

• Wood
  • Plastic
  • Composite plastics
  • Steel
  • Others
  • Laminated combinations of the above
Slingshots offer infinite variety; potentially even more than knives. Some are historically collectible and others ones in current production are the start of a future collection. Find a maker whose philosophy and style you like and pick his best work.
Nice break down ZDP !
I can almost see this as a sticky IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Nice break down ZDP !
I can almost see this as a sticky IMO.
It's far from an exhaustive list. I omitted starships for a start.

I won't make this a sticky unless it turns into a truly definitive thread, as forums can get clogged with stickies. Instead, I have made a blog post (link) and will fill in some images to illustrate each type later.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Hi Jeff,

I'm from Lawrenceville GA and I know what you are going through to learn. I will PM you and we can chat on the phone some which can help fast track some things and save some of the uncessary struggles. The guys here are great and helpful.

Delany just posted; "anyone around Atlanta that shoots?"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Jeff,

I'm from Lawrenceville GA and I know what you are going through to learn. I will PM you and we can chat on the phone some which can help fast track some things and save some of the uncessary struggles. The guys here are great and helpful.

Delany just posted; "anyone around Atlanta that shoots?"
Oh that would be helpful!!

Maybe those of us from the ATL area could meet sometime! Talking would be helpful, seeing even better!!

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
I assume the high finger grip is what, in my naivete, I am talking about when i mention putting the fingers up on the forks?
Yes. A high-finger grip combined with low forks gives an extremely well braced grip that counteracts and mitigates the force of the bands that wants to pull the slingshot from your hand and enables the shooting of heavy bands, or a very stable and relatively shake free grip using medium bands. Many such slingshots can be shot with very little or no pressure from the lower fingers, as a high-finger grip transfers most of the thrust through the forefinger and thumb knuckles.

Some people with great forearm strength favour the hammer grip around the shaft, but it's hard for someone like me.

The high-finger grip can be subdivided into the pinch grip where the thumb wraps around and the thumb braced grip. The difference between the two is subtle and mostly a matter of preference.

Careful (or accidental) design design of a high-finger grip can lead to again subtle differences of the proportion of the thrust distributed between and forefinger and thumb. Likewise, it is a matter of personal preference and you really have to try a few slingshots before you can decide what works best for you.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Ok, so I am a total newbie that has always shot a marksman (wrist brace) slingshot. I think I have looked at every vendor and post on here! LOL.I made a few the other night... VERY VERY fun. They shoot great. Maybe I will try to get some pics. This weekend, Ill probably try my own "design". And maybe I will snap a few pics.But here is my "problem". I would like to buy a nice sling shot but Im so new I dont know what Im looking for. LOL. Is there a thread or a post or something that kind of describes "styles" and shapes?For example, I see the old traditional "hammer style" grip with the shapes like the bunny busters. What I would call "traditional styles". I think what I like more is the smaller more compact sling shots where the shooter puts their fingers up on the forks. (not sure what that style is called). And then there are the "modern" metal frames. Very sexy and sleek indeed! I may need one of those as well. So, help a newbie out?All I know is that there is somethign innate about a more "traditional" style slngshot like I made the other night. I used the "tex" style but held it with my fingers on the forks and the accuracy was WAY better than my old marksman slingshot. Almost a natural shooting style if that makes sense. I know I know... I collect watches and knives so I know the "newbie" questions are a pain... Sorry.
Everybody is different some like wrist braced others large slingshots like the starship many on this forum use flatband. I personnally like and use fixed tube pocket shooters gangsta grip and flip the slingshot when shooting, it's really what your happy with. I have several video's on you tube which you can view if you wish,go to you tube and type in 4030bing that is my channel where you can view the uploads.Others on his forum have made video's also that you can view Jeorg sprave is very popular.

·
Registered
101 Posts
nice to see a growing contingent of Georgians on here! Im fairly new to this stuff too but what ive been doing is just trying out as many different designs and techniques as possible to see what i like best. I havent really settled on any particular design yet but i will say that i started with tubes and a hammer grip and now im pretty well set on flatbands and a high finger grip and it seems to be giving me a lot more accuracy. I will say that, having had wrist rockets and other store bought slingshots my whole life (and not hitting the broadside of a barn with them) and now having made several i am far more accurate with the ones i have made(im pretty deadly out to about 50 feet now) and i also enjoy shooting them more. Ive just been looking around here and trying to imitate and its been working for me and all ya need if a coping saw and a few files great stuff!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
nice to see a growing contingent of Georgians on here! Im fairly new to this stuff too but what ive been doing is just trying out as many different designs and techniques as possible to see what i like best. I havent really settled on any particular design yet but i will say that i started with tubes and a hammer grip and now im pretty well set on flatbands and a high finger grip and it seems to be giving me a lot more accuracy. I will say that, having had wrist rockets and other store bought slingshots my whole life (and not hitting the broadside of a barn with them) and now having made several i am far more accurate with the ones i have made(im pretty deadly out to about 50 feet now) and i also enjoy shooting them more. Ive just been looking around here and trying to imitate and its been working for me and all ya need if a coping saw and a few files great stuff!
I was the opposite started with flatband and turned to tubes the chinese 1745* not the very large thick tubes tubes in our country I dont rate them at all.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was the opposite started with flatband and turned to tubes the chinese 1745* not the very large thick tubes tubes in our country I dont rate them at all.
[/quote]

Yeah i havent tried the chinese tubes yet but would definitely like to, I want to try everything and in as many combos as possible, and knowing me i will bounce around from one to the other plenty.

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,147 Posts
I don't think the style of slingshot is all that important. If you think a slingshot looks cool, make one or buy one and try it. With most slingshots, if you stick with it for a while, you will learn to shoot well with it. I have two wrist-braced slingshots that I can't shoot well with -- not because they are inferior but because I just don't enjoy shooting with them at all, so I don't use them much. But I had to buy and try them to find that out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.