Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Today I retire from 35 1/2 years of service as a Provincial Correctional Officer.
I processed my last new arrival and did my last patrol to say my goodbyes. Even many of the inmates wished me a happy retirement. It was difficult handing in my badge, pepper spray, handcuffs and notebook. The old jail was like my second home and the routines have been part of my life since college graduation.

The staff I worked with were a great group. They put on a surprise BBQ party for me yesterday afternoon in the jail parking lot. Lots of retirees and off-duty staff showed up to wish me the best. The afternoon was filled with smiles and laughs. I actually managed to keep my emotions in check.

One of the officers is an extremely talented artist and drew an excellent caricature as a gift. He designed one of me that was signed by many staff like a giant card. Everyone knows I'm a slingshot addict so he added that feature.

I feel like I did my best during my career and was appreciated very much. My forever plan was make some sort of difference in such an inherently negative workplace. It's not a job for everyone but I managed to get through without damage.

As I said to many staff today, it was a good career choice and I would do it all over again. Sentence satisfied... this civil servant is retired!

Attachments

·
aka CYBORG
1,950 Posts
I have the utmost respect for those with the foresight to choose a career and stay with it until retirement.

You're relatively young and in great health with a new blank canvas to fill - what a beautiful place to be.

Congratulations, you've sure earned it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts