Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of nights ago I caught this fellow in my back yard. Also I have a sunflower in my back yard that is starting to look like a tree. It is a volunteer from oil sunflower seeds that we feed the birds last winter. In the picture I can reach a little over 8 feet just to show how big it is and still growing. I think I will need an axe to get it down this fall after the birds eat the seeds from it. -- Tex

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
Hehe!!! Love the possum!!! They used to get in the backyard when I was a kid in Texas. They are hard to kill. The dogs would get them and worry them around so until they were dead. So we would get a shovel to pick up there "dead carcass" to go bury. As soon as we got out the gate and set them down to dig a hole they would come back alive and run off!!!!
Tough critters....they really were not dead. Part of their defense mechanism is to "play dead" when they feel threatened enough. Their breathing almost stops and they sometimes even release a bad "I'm dead" smell. A common phrase used in my family for someone pretending to be asleep is "playin' possum."

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
Did you know that many parts of a possum are edible? I've never experimented on which parts, but that is what I have heard. Seriously though, nice catch.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Did you know that many parts of a possum are edible? I've never experimented on which parts, but that is what I have heard. Seriously though, nice catch.
By the looks of them...I bet it's the parts on someone else's plate!

That is one big "sunseed tree" ya got there Tex! Maybe enough wood there to make a slingshot?!

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
I Guess it is true what they say.... Everything is bigger in Texas ..... Sorry, Tex ... someone had to say that ol cleche' as opossum goes it depends on what state your in as to how much of dat opossum is a delacacy :puke:I hear it a north/ south kinda thing da further south ya go da better da opossum tastes !
What kinda plant is that growing next to the sunflower tree ???? Is it a...... nope I'm not gonna go there ! LOL

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
Tex, that is one nasty looking critter, I mean the O-possum. My big dog (Porky) kills those when they come in the back yard. When she clamps down with one bite you hear the ribs and the skull go crunch.

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
Tex, that is one nasty looking critter, I mean the O-possum. My big dog (Porky) kills those when they come in the back yard. When she clamps down with one bite you hear the ribs and the skull go crunch.
Obviously your dog is bigger than mine was!!!!!

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
O-possum has a very small heart so when he gets excited, it can’t pump enough blood and he passes out, but not always. I think that he might have ended up on someone’s table, but I don’t know. It is my don’t ask and don’t tell rule. Here is another fellow that I caught in my back yard and he really chewed things up before I caught him. Look carefully at the tree. -- Tex

Attachments

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Have eaten raccoon but my Mom drew the line at possum, funny since we ate about everything else.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
"It's all fun and games until someone loses a skull." as they say.

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
O-possum has a very small heart so when he gets excited, it can't pump enough blood and he passes out, but not always. I think that he might have ended up on someone's table, but I don't know. It is my don't ask and don't tell rule. Here is another fellow that I caught in my back yard and he really chewed things up before I caught him. Look carefully at the tree. -- Tex
Now that ones a Beauty !

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey i caught another O-Possum this morning. This one was a big one. -- Tex

·
Registered
61 Posts
**** i wish i got animals like that in my graden the only thing i get is a couple of squirrels and the occational fox

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,426 Posts
Well at least you have something to practice shooting with your slingshots!
Those Possums just have a way of looking at you that just says: "I want to kill you!"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts