Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to do something a little different this year in concern with tournaments.... I'm going to practice up ahead and see if I can improve my game some...

Today was a beautiful day, the perfect day for a slingshot checkup to see what I need to work on.... and lo and behold... I had a case of the yips... anticipatory movement throwing my POA and POI out of balance.

I'm going to work hard on taming it and see if I can make a better showing in a week or so... so long as the weather holds, I'll be out shooting during the day.

Video was shortened after the first few shots due to me talking to much and so forth, so I just cut all that and went to the actual shooting in the middle part.

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I much appreciate it, Thanks!

The reason I decided to concentrate more on a tournament style of shooting is that I am not real good at traveling... by that I mean after driving over a thousand miles to get to a tournament, it takes me a couple of days to decompress and calm my nerves... about the time I feel pretty good, it's time to get back in the car and drive back home.

And because my nerves are shot when competing, I tend to not shoot up to my potential.

When using my long draw, and because of my nerves there is a lot more possibility of errant shots than if I use a pure mechanical and braced style, like in the video.

By using the cheek weld to control back hand movement, and only having to focus on the front hand stability... it allows for less variables when shooting... less variables means less that I can screw up when shooting, even when my nerves are bothering me.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Yes, I completely understand.

I love shooting semi-butterfly, and I certainly do find that I have to be very relaxed, with body and mind in sync as you have described in past videos, when shooting in that style. I work a little at it most every day, trying to get to the point where I can consistently put 80% of my shots on a 1" target at 33'. But if I had to do it in front of a crowd, in competition, a thousand miles from home . . . well that takes some 'super-human' concentration!

Yeah, I certainly get it. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts