Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Since everyone here has posted such friendly and useful info I thought I'd pitch in. As a newbie living in an apartment in a congested city I am shooting indoors only at my evolving 7 meter range. Impacts on the solid fabric side curtains makes too much noise, but the white mosquito net eliminates the ammo impact noise nicely but mine is a bit short so I have a mesh curtain in the mail.

First I bought these NBR/Nitrile Buna 10mm black balls off Aliexpress. You can see them in the bottom pics. They are impossible to track against my dark range but hard enough to destroy those perforated plastic cat toy balls with bells inside them. They have almost no flex to them. These would be OK if you were shooting against a white background.

So I got silicone baby teething beads in 9,12, 15mm. You can order small quantities off ebay. The 9mm differ in size, are too soft and light, and curve sometimes in fllght. The larger ones don't flex as much but are still comfortable to grip. 12mm is good at 7 meters. I like the 15mm more but are too big for my 43-46mm long pouches. Having holes in them might make these poor choices at longer distances.

Lastly these rubber paintballs from Aliexpress. These are much harder than the silicone beads but softer than the NBR. Again I like the .68cal but they are too big for my pouches. The .50 cal feel good but the green is harder to see against my dark range. The yellow .43 cals are OK but I am now liking larger sizes.

Avoid 8mm silicone fishing lure weights from ebay; these are as soft as gummy bears so worthless.

For my environment I think the most visible colors are white and bright yellow, but larger balls can compensate for poor color choice too. I added a pic of the colors from 2 meters away. The only ones I'd avoid are the 10mm black NBR and .50 greens. All of the ammo ricochets off the metal hanger and even off the silicone targets. The larger silicone beads present the least risk of damage but I wonder how much the holes are affecting accuracy. Logically the rubber paintballs function the best but they don't come in bright colors like the silcones.

20200515-213516.jpg

20200515-201311.jpg

20200515-213507.jpg

20200515-223001.jpg

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey, thanks for this very useful info.

I tried felt balls but they went all over the place.

I've ordered some of the 12mm silicone teething balls - I'll report back on how they shoot.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Indoors I use plastic and clay, both available in numerous places online. (Simpleshot) I also like bubble gum balls. I know that sounds weird but they work pretty well. Relatively round, brightly coloured and shatter on impact if they hit a hard surface, which is fun. Cheap too. The ones I get here are 15mm in diameter. They are also good outdoors for cats and squirrels as I don't want to kill, just annoy and terrify.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just checkng in.

The 12mm silicone teething balls are very good.

Not quite as accurate as steel but good enough to not be frustrating at short or medium range.

Indoor shooting tends to be at limited range (unless you live in a mansion!), certainly in my house the longest indoor range I can rig is 10m and they're good enough to go at a 60mm target disc.

I've tested them at point blank against plaster walls and the kitchen units and they leave no mark - however they do come back at you at speed, so safety glasses are essential.

Again- thanks for starting this thread, I'd never have thought of using these teeting balls otherwise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts