Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow collectors. I have a few milbros at home and they have got different numbers on them, 1 and 2. Also ive seen them with 'we' on them. These are in the little circle above the writing on the handle. Does anyone know what it means? And another question, the offset milbros are slightly different design, fatter handle, different style writing milbro, did they do a straight set the same design as that?
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
117 Posts
Nice to see new UK collectors on this forum. The numbers and letters in the small circles on some Milbros I have always assumed are mould identification marks from different moulds, other than that I don't think they have any significance. They seem to be predominantly found on the second to last type of Milbro forks which roughly coensides with the 1960s. Milbro forks mostly come in three main shape types , four if you include different lettering styles. As far as I know the unusual shape of the 'Offsets' lower handle is unique and not found on any other version.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply mr bird. That puts my mind at reat as i have wondered that for a few years now. I have found another milbro but its a different style to the norm. I just need to figure out how to put photos up on here

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice to see new UK collectors on this forum. The numbers and letters in the small circles on some Milbros I have always assumed are mould identification marks from different moulds, other than that I don't think they have any significance. They seem to be predominantly found on the second to last type of Milbro forks which roughly coensides with the 1960s. Milbro forks mostly come in three main shape types , four if you include different lettering styles. As far as I know the unusual shape of the 'Offsets' lower handle is unique and not found on any other version.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyome got any ideas on how to clean the milbro and the older metal frames? I dont want to get them like brand new, id rather keep there look the way they are but i have a couple with a few marks on that id like to get off but not sure what would be the best way. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mr bird i need to pick your brain again. In regards to the picture you sent me on this topic (of the 3 different milbros) i have just bought one, the middle one of your picture but it feels really really light in comparison. Any idea of the weight please? I gave alot of money for this and im hoping its not a reproduction. And also what sort of year was this one manufactured. I would add some pics but im not sure how to do that

Many thanks
Lee

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hello Lee, I'm guessing you probably bought the one on Ebay last week that went for a high price. I did not pay much attention to it because I already have some but don't worry it looked genuine enough from the photographs. You ask about weight, here are three types of Milbro forks, no1 ( like you have just bought ) is light weight, no2 type is also usually light weight while no3 type is a lot heavier. Milbro did change the metal used over the years. This could have been for extra strength or it could be connected with the shortages of various metals following WW2. The forks in this photograph ( from the top down ) roughly equate to 1950s, 1960s and 1970s up to 1982. This is not strictly accurate but is a good general guide to age.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you once again mr bird. And yes that was me. Paid a little too much i know but ive only ever seen that one come up for sale and i couldnt let it go. I just need the smaller milbro one now with the fancy writing on it then my milbro collection is complete. I would like to see your collection. You seem to have quite a few of these older frames.
Thanks once again and have a great weekend mr bird.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Seeing a rare fork and having to get it is certainly the sign of a true collector. Good luck finding one of the small italics frames they do turn up occasionally but are rare. I should mention there are a few other rare Milbro variants out there. If you are ever in my area you are welcome to see my collection, many of them appear on the pages of this vintage forum.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haha thats not all i collect! Its quite an expensive hobby. Where is your area? Im from maidstone in kent. The smaller one is the one to get. My mate has got one but wont sell it to me. I think apart from that ive got most if not all the other variant milbros

1 - 13 of 13 Posts