Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have recently experienced pain in my right arm and right wrist after several days of regular slingshot use. The technique is to hold the device in my left hand and draw with the right . Bands are two layers of flat Theraband Gold. The point of maximum pain is midway along the lateral aspect of the forearm and lateral aspect of the elbow. Anchor point is at my right eye. I use through the fork aiming. I assume that is an overuse injury.
I wonder if others have experienced this ? Could it be due to another overuse activity? Background- I am a physician with over 35 years of clinical experience in several specialties. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Unless you are using very thin bands (so that doubling them does not give you too much power), or you do double them intentionally because you are a hunter and need power - otherwise I do not see the reason why you should have double bands - they are most probably overpowered then.

I do not say that your pain comes from this solely but a good part of it might..

cheers,

jazz

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
There're several shooters here that had similar injuries with different degrees of tendonitis. One forumite -Skropi- is well known for his "Skropi finger", a deterioration of the index finger caused by excessive shooting.

Three days ago I experienced something I never thought it could happen: I was trying a different tying method (constrictor knot in band to fork, a really stupid idea) and the band snapped on my face, causing some not severe bleeding. Thanks God i was using safety glasses.

The bleeding stops, but if you develop a tendonitis, that's other price, cause healing can take months, and you certainly must know that. So, take care and by any means, USE SAFETY GLASSES.

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
What ammo are you shooting and what cut are your bands?
Doubled flats are very 2010. There's no need for them. They're loud, inefficient, and unnecessarily heavy. Lots of people use them when they first start shooting because they "feel" fast because they're so heavy and hand-shockey. Unless you're shooting 1/2" lead you can almost certainly step down your bands and get better results without the tendon damage.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Definitely switch to VERY light bands and ammo for a few days.
My Skropi Finger healed only when I switched to 8mm steel and a 2.5kg draw weight.
After you heal, switch to your normal ammo, but do use single bands. As MJ said, only 1/2 lead could warrant doubled ones, and I even shoot it with singles.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
What ammo are you shooting and what cut are your bands?
Doubled flats are very 2010. There's no need for them. They're loud, inefficient, and unnecessarily heavy. Lots of people use them when they first start shooting because they "feel" fast because they're so heavy and hand-shockey. Unless you're shooting 1/2" lead you can almost certainly step down your bands and get better results without the tendon damage.
Lol you said shocky lol

·
679 Post Club
3,015 Posts
I've had various instances of overuse injury from slingshots. Changes to grip and draw moved the load to unharmed locations and all instances of pain are resolved. Mind you, I know from other experiences that once injured and healed, re-injury is always easier than before.

·
Banned
193 Posts
Maybe we should all join a gym and make use of the strength training machines. I know I need to do just that. Wait just a moment, I do have a gym membership. Maybe I need to get myself there a couple of three times a week. Might improve my shooting skills.

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
Funny you should ask... I recently cut my finger on a wheel knife... like 20 minutes ago. I had changed the blade after dulling it on a steel ruler. Apparently I did NOT reassemble it correctly. I needed my was in an Altoid tin and reached into my bag assuming the guard was engaged correctly as I am a careful man.

Wrong! It was a pretty good slice from nail to almost the first joint... it has bled through several layers of gauze and is now stopped.

Also once split my left index finger learning the exquisite art of pfs. I am sure there is a pic somewhere... but I am making band sets and mapping a backpack trip... so no time to find it.

PS- not the same issue as you, friend, but worth mentioning.

Attachments

·
679 Post Club
3,015 Posts
Ah yes, cuts and impacts are another kettle of pain altogether.

I smashed my thumbnail trying to get an 8mm steel ball over 300fps and then did it again a week later. That's the most pain I've ever felt.

Many of my slingshot pictures from 2013/14 show my blank or missing thumbnail or it bound up from when I slipped with the folding saw while collecting a pear fork in the middle of nowhere. That could have gone very wrong. Still have an epic scar from that mess.

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
You need to re-think your banding.

Nearly everyone comes into slingshot shooting with the notion that the stronger the bands the faster the shot. I know it is conterintuitive but too-strong bands are actually much slower than proper bands. Strange as it may seem latex is more effective if it is allowed to pull continuesly on the projectile as opposed to a strong harsh "slap".

I would literally cut one band out of each side. I wouldn't doubt it if you pick up speed.

I tell this story every now and again here on the forum:

Several years ago I took a slingshot with 1 inch straight bands and dissasembled it. I took one of the bands from one side of the slingshot and cut it in half. The two resulting bands were tapered and were each 3/8 x 5/8. I re-assembled the slingshot with half the rubber and when I used the chronograph I had acutally gained a significant amount of velocity.

If you are pulling hard you don't need to.

winnie

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
You need to re-think your banding.

Nearly everyone comes into slingshot shooting with the notion that the stronger the bands the faster the shot. I know it is conterintuitive but too-strong bands are actually much slower than proper bands. Strange as it may seem latex is more effective if it is allowed to pull continuesly on the projectile as opposed to a strong harsh "slap".

I would literally cut one band out of each side. I wouldn't doubt it if you pick up speed.

I tell this story every now and again here on the forum:

Several years ago I took a slingshot with 1 inch straight bands and dissasembled it. I took one of the bands from one side of the slingshot and cut it in half. The two resulting bands were tapered and were each 3/8 x 5/8. I re-assembled the slingshot with half the rubber and when I used the chronograph I had acutally gained a significant amount of velocity.

If you are pulling hard you don't need to.

winnie
Yeah, elastics are a strange bag of properties. It is strange that heavier draw weight does not necessarily translate to more velocity. Matching ammo to bands is a science all the same.

And while velocity is key to power it is not key to accuracy... comfort and consistancy are key to accuracy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all for the advice! I will try using only one layer as you suggested. I guess that I was too impressed by Joerg Sprave?

·
Engorged Member
363 Posts
Thank you all for the advice! I will try using only one layer as you suggested. I guess that I was too impressed by Joerg Sprave?

You could also try using the fist grip for a change, if you arent doing that already.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi. So here is another discomfort that I’m sure others have experienced. Specifically it is the thumb joint when used to hold the pouch. I hold the pouch in front of the ammo, not the ammo itself. The pain goes away the next day so it’s not a permanent injury. Is it because I’m holding the pouch incorrectly? Any advice appreciated

1 - 18 of 18 Posts