Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CJW made a statement about his slingshot learning experience that said it perfectly for me. He practiced until he became proficient. The concept of a slingshot is fairly simple, or so one would think ????A fork, elastics, pouch and ammo, how difficult could this be???? There are so many variables of what makes an accurate slingshot from one person to another. The term “accurate slingshot” is sometimes misunderstood by those who have never shot one. I guess I consider an accurate slingshot to be the one that feels the most comfortable in my hand, and the fork tips close to my hand. I’ve tried to get a couple of young people interested in slingshots, but they are not interested in putting in the effort to become proficient. Take the same kids and give them a video game, and it’s off to the races???????? Now in all due respect to the kids, I wouldn’t give a video game the time of day????????????

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Wasn't into slingshots when my son was growing up and he wasn't interested interested firearms. I'll be showing and offering my grand kid's though.

At least with most kids indoors playing video games,there's more space for those of us that enjoy the outdoors lol

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
I think the enjoyment of the challenge can keep people interested while they master the learning curve. Most people I know of who enjoy slingshots also enjoy other shooting sports (rifles, pistols, archery, airguns, etc). Those people just like hitting stuff with projectiles!

If kids aren't immediately drawn to an activity they seldom possess the self discipline to work at becoming proficient in it. My wife plays piano beautifully after 20+ years of classical training, but she resented every lesson until she was about 15 and realized the value and beauty of music. Up till then it was her mother pushing her to become proficient. I think that's why so many people come back around to slingshots once they're adults. They're a fun toy as a kid, then you get bored with it or pursue other things, and then circle back around when you can appreciate some of the more esoteric and nuanced aspects of the sport.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Interesting topic..... After canoeing yesterday I headed back to the landing with a beer and a natural fork I just finished and 3 fly fishermen pulled up and headed my way. I knew my time was limited now, I don't wanna ruin anyone's fishing. As they were getting their rigs set up, one guy asked if I was "any good with that thing"?

My first thought was....I'm better than you are! :naughty: But I explained the rougher rocks at the landing weren't round and didn't fly straight but I could still hit my target most of the time.

To your point, there's a couple variables that make all the difference and hopefully he understood, just like if he tied on the wrong fly, he'd get skunked.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Delayed gratification has its perks... like more consistent instant gratification of smashing a can into bits.

I recently took a roadtrip and carried a slingshot in my pocket...hundreds of people around and only 1 young man (I guess around 16 yrs old) noticed it. He was very excited to meet another slinger.

I tried to give him the flip...he would not take it. He wanted to make his own. I gave him the details and the forum link.

This made my trip with 2 good friends much more enjoyable...over the top...really.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts