Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This pouch is used for large weights for shooting lines, but the concept is interesting. It supposedly can hold ammo, even if upside down. It seems that they have an anchor point behind the pouch, with straps that hold the ammo until the tension of the bands is released. With some modification, ill bet that we could use a smaller version of this for slingshots. We might even be able to use Bow Triggers.

http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/BIGshot/Big-Shot-Replacement-Tubing

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, I have drawn up the concept. I made a before and after version. In the diagrams, the Red line is a standard pouch. The blue line is the new thin, cupped, ammo holding straps. The ring at the bottom of the new straps is for the bow trigger. In my concept, the straps would be lightweight thin plastic, and taper to a point in the back where the ring attaches.

Attachments

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
Make one mon and let us know how it turns out. Except, I've heard most tournaments won't allow mechanical releases, but it might be great for hunting!

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, a follow-up on this. I made this tonight, minus the bow release hook. It does work! However, not as well as I had hoped.

I had two issues with my design. The first is not a big deal, the second is a deal breaker(for my design at least):
1. You need to use an elastic material for the straps. I started out with hard plastic straps, and they did not hold the ammo. Using a strong elastic band will hold it tight. The problem is that the you have to balance the stretch of the band with its ammo grabbing ability. Very soft will grab the ammo well, but will add too much to the draw length. Too hard will not increase the draw length, but also will not grab the ammo well. One work around could be small holes in the side of the strap that align with the projectile.
2. You have to have the bands taught before the projectile is held firmly. This is a problem, since you have to pull it at least 1/2 way back with the pouch before you can use the strap. This is nearly impossible because you already have a fair amount of tension on it at this point. Lose your grip while moving you hand is a 50/50 chance. Not good.

·
Super Moderator
6,633 Posts
Hi Aaron,
they use a big pouch very similar to that one(with the tag behind it) for shooting dough baits or other chum into ponds for rough fishing in Europe. They call the Slingshot "Boilies". Especially popular in England. It does work well for "Salting" before fishing! Flatband

1 - 5 of 5 Posts