Slingshots Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Well,
There seems to be a controversy over dayhiker, and me making slingshots of his design.
Ok then...I will only make @..one for him..and one for me.
So be it.
I Have plenty more of my own designs to keep up with.
So..controversy over.
Tom aka. bunnybuster
Tom, u are mistaken. There is no controversy just me and dan accidentaly made a design that resembles the dayhiker. Please don't stop making it.

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
Aaargh. That's such a waste. There's no controversy; Bill misinterpreted my badly written post and I've tried to explain in detail it's us that are embarrassed to have put together such a similar slingshot by accident.

If you don't make these then the market will be denied a slingshot that I know to be very comfortable and controllable with low wrist torque. It's an elegant looking design too.

If you don't mind the lads making theirs, which is a similar profile, but a different construction and materials (plastic, composite, steel) and no doubt a very different level of fit and finish to yours then I am sure buyers will perceive them as very different products.

I for one would love to buy a couple; one for myself to shoot and one for the boys so they can see the quality a master can produce.

Please make this a production design!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Aaargh. That's such a waste. There's no controversy; Bill misinterpreted my badly written post and I've tried to explain in detail it's us that are embarrassed to have put together such a similar slingshot by accident.

If you don't make these then the market will be denied a slingshot that I know to be very comfortable and controllable with low wrist torque. It's an elegant looking design too.

If you don't mind the lads making theirs, which is a similar profile, but a different construction and materials (plastic, composite, steel) and no doubt a very different level of fit and finish to yours then I am sure buyers will perceive them as very different products.

I for one would love to buy a couple; one for myself to shoot and one for the boys so they can see the quality a master can produce.

Please make this a production design!
I agree, you must continue! The design isn't even that close. And materials are very different

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
It's a real shame, but I have a feeling that you guys are wasting your breath I have a feeling that once BB makes up his mind it's a done deal......

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
10,979 Posts
Boy oh boy. Let's see. . . I was feeling bad about Tom and I getting out a design just as the guys over at USA Slingshots were about to release one that was closely designed, and thereby stepping on their toes. I never even thought about anybody copying anybody else. All I said to Dan and the guys was that I felt lousy if this release was going to mess up their effort -- because it would look too much like what Tom and I made. That's all. No controversy. Somehow that got misconstrued into somebody possibly copying somebody else.
If Tom doesn't want make any more, then that's up to him. I think he probably has good reasons for his decision.
I posted that pattern under the title, "A pattern 4 U". That meant the collective "YOU", i.e. all forum members. Tom let a month go by and no one responded. So he -- unnecessarily -- asked me if I minded if he put it into his product line. Since I posted the pattern uncopyrighted on a public forum, I actually do not have a right, as far as I know, to say no to anybody who wants to use it. And I won't. If anyone else on this forum thinks it ought to be produced for sale, then go ahead. No one is going to stop you.
In the meantime, me and Henry are gonna get a heck of a rare collector's item, aren't we?

In closing, I'd like to express my regrets to Tom for this crash and burn. Sorry, pal.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Bill, you had full rights and when dan and I talked about this metal core and corian finish I already knew I was sort of copying jim Harris, and I took a bunch of ideas I have had and added them for a design I felt would be a strong, yet comfertable design. I asked dan to make changes and we came up with a design that we were both proud of and it kind of resembles yours. My point is you made the design months ago and tom took the design with your permision. We should be appologizing to tom for even mentioning the resembalance

·
Super Moderator
5,072 Posts
In the meantime, me and Henry are gonna get a heck of a rare collector's item, aren't we?
We sure are, and I plan to shoot the heck out of mine.

I'm sorry this happened too, but since I usually try to see the silver lining, maybe it will cause everyone to think before commenting about whether someone's design looks like someone else's. There are bound to be similarities between designs from time to time.

But all is not lost. If you want one of these, Dayhiker has made it clear enough that anyone who wants to is free to use the design.

Henry

·
Resigned
1,100 Posts
Oh boy, this is sad. But I respect Tom's decision.

DH, you said I wouldn't like your Boston Blacky made up in camo laminate as it wouldn't take the cadenas. Bollocks I say! It is but a simple matter to add tabs to such a design, especially an over-the-top shooter. The first gypsy tabs slingshots I made were conversions of Theragold shooters fitted with the leather tabs.

I don't like exact copies of intellectual materials, but in Slingshot World there are only so many ways to design a fork and handle. With as many people working on this daily and worldwide there are bound to be similarities. Note that I said "similarities" which isn't an excuse for outright theft of intellectual property.

I know DH to be an honorable man and Tom is, too. I don't like the way this one ended up but respect all parties. I don't think anyone meant anyone any harm or slight.

·
aka. bunnybuster
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Hi folks
no hard feelings from me.
As Bill said, his design is for everyone. I dont feel right about marketing his design.
I know a good design when I see one.
My bunnybusters are all my own design, and I am proud of them. They have shipped all over the USA and most parts of the world.
No need for anyone to feel bad about anything regarding the ``dayhiker`` slingshot.
It was a mistake on my part to market them.
If I could afford to make them for free, I would, so everyone could check them out.
But I can`t.
So now, I have some premium Ash that I plan on making a run of widowmakers with.
The widowmaker slingshot is what helped bunnybuster to get known in the slingshot world.
Yesterday, I made #50 of the series..and I am going to put it on my webstore.
Here is a picture of it ...a hard maple center..with yellowheart for the sides.
Your friend,
Tom
aka. bunnybuster

41 - 56 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.