Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
aka CYBORG
1,940 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Beadsmith-Jewelry-Round-Pliers-PL513/dp/B000SNBC74/ref=lp_8090800011_1_14?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1543024429&sr=1-14

You can buy something very similar at Michael's or any bead store. They're not reverse action but I don't want that - I cut a 2 3/4 length of 1/2" PVC, and notch it with a rat tail at each end for the handles. With a cuff over the tips, the PVC props the jaws open under tension just the right amount to work your tubes into place with hemostats. Also, you can set the assembly down if need be without having to constantly squeeze them open with one hand.

If you find a reverse pliers, you'll need a band or sleeve to hold them open. I've used both methods but IMO, the PVC prop offers more versatility.

I have to tie over the 1745 cuffs when doing tubes or they invariably slip. Others use cuffs on flats and don't seem to have that problem.

Lately I skip the cuffs on most tube sets because tying with the clear ribbon or 1mm elastic thread holds very well, prolly because it stretches so tight without breaking or cutting into the tubes. Good luck SN. :)

·
Registered
606 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Beadsmith-Jewelry-Round-Pliers-PL513/dp/B000SNBC74/ref=lp_8090800011_1_14?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1543024429&sr=1-14

You can buy something very similar at Michael's or any bead store. They're not reverse action but I don't want that - I cut a 2 3/4 length of 1/2" PVC, and notch it with a rat tail at each end for the handles. With a cuff over the tips, the PVC props the jaws open under tension just the right amount to work your tubes into place with hemostats. Also, you can set the assembly down if need be without having to constantly squeeze them open with one hand.

If you find a reverse pliers, you'll need a band or sleeve to hold them open. I've used both methods but IMO, the PVC prop offers more versatility.

I have to tie over the 1745 cuffs when doing tubes or they invariably slip. Others use cuffs on flats and don't seem to have that problem.

Lately I skip the cuffs on most tube sets because tying with the clear ribbon or 1mm elastic thread holds very well, prolly because it stretches so tight without breaking or cutting into the tubes. Good luck SN. :)
^^^ this is all you need, folks. When I use cuffs, this is my preferred method. Here is a short video by our local SamuraiSamoht showing more or less the same thing.

AeM's PVC spacer would be used in lieu of the wooden block. I've used wood as well as old ballpoint pen barrels trimmed to size to hold open hemos.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Reactions: MakoPat

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
I use a pair of hemostats with long jaws. For many years I have been using an old 9V battery to wedge in the handle once the cuff is on. A piece of fitted PVC would be far better.
This is exactly what Inwas going to say...except I got rid of the 9 volt in exchange for a red oak scrap block... lighter in my go bag kit. I also filed a little groove on each end to help hold the hemostats.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.