Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great to have found this forum......I'm sure there's loads of useful info here for a senior returning to his teenage love....soooo....down to BIZZ!!!!!...shooting a Hatchcock target sniper small I seem to be stuck shooting slightly left and low(at 30 feet )this is going on since I started 8 days ago.....I'm holding the slingshot in my right hand I think my form is ok (pouch release, bands lined up etc...I know it's about impossible for the experienced guys here to offer advice without actually observing my actions......but I would appreciate if someone could throw some little nugget of "just where I might be screwing up unbeknown to myself"
Thanks in advance.....and stay well????????

·
See The Target
21,979 Posts
Welcome to the forum . You may be moving the slingshot hold hand upon release . Push with the hold hand to the target . Make sure your bands are in fact in line with the target .

·
Registered
51 Posts
I appreciate the welcomes......thanks to treefork......flipgun and mattwalt for the tips ....which I've tried.....with not much success unfortunately ...the bands are gen3 precise .40....cut 24 19 ..8mm steel (.315")(TTF gangster style)30' distance......which I bought in......would it be an issue if the bands had NOT been tied to the pouch with the taper matching on both sides of the pouch????probably grasping at straws here....but just in case it's an issue I'll mention it...........the pic tells it all....I got lucky with a few shots......
Thanks "marksmen"????????????????????????

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hi Cathal

When I miss I tend to miss high and to the right regardless of frame, bands, OTT or TTF, pouch tie, whether I've had sausages for breakfast etc.

I've learned not to focus on the micro-detail (are my pouches perfectly tied?) because it matters less.

Whatever you're doing, aim a little more to the right. Don't over think it. Let your grey matter figure it out.

Not disrespecting any of the sage advice already given.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Griffo...I think I'm too anxious to hit bullseye EVERY time...as an experienced rifle man....I find it counter intuitive to aim one place (not the bulls eye)so as to hit the bulls eye....is it the case for some that the above is the way it ALWAYS will be???

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've spent most of my shooting life shooting .22 smallbore match rifle and air rifle. Yes, it's thoroughly counter-intuitive not to aim at your desired point of impact coming from these disciplines. Don't worry.

Slingshots make you think (and shoot) differently - especially when aiming instinctively. Good luck and keep reading here because I've learned a lot.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Griffo....so to cut to the chase....it might be a case to FOREVER aim one place to hit another place????
And would that be true for some /many catty men??

·
Super Moderator
7,029 Posts
Welcome!

Reactions: Cathal

·
Registered
935 Posts
Hello from Indiana, just keep practicing. Pay attention to your form. Your bands/tubes may be over or under powered for the ammo your shooting. Practice,practice,practice, and dont forget to enjoy yourself.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I notice that not only are most of your shots going low and left, but your grouping is large compared to the target. For shooting as few days as you have, I'd say that is pretty good. Pay particular attention to your ammo and pouch and release. Make sure that ammo is dead center in the pouch, and the pouch is even on both sides. Make sure that when coming up to full draw, that you don't slightly roll that ammo back down behind your index finger. Then release release release!! A bum release will give you fits. Hope this helps. practice for a week and let us know how you are doing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello from Indiana, just keep practicing. Pay attention to your form. Your bands/tubes may be over or under powered for the ammo your shooting. Practice,practice,practice, and dont forget to enjoy yourself.
Thanks NSFC......that's sound advice........As I'm kinda new to this....would you evaluate the suitability of the following........24/19 taper. .40 gen 3 precise....shooting 8 mm steel......

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I notice that not only are most of your shots going low and left, but your grouping is large compared to the target. For shooting as few days as you have, I'd say that is pretty good. Pay particular attention to your ammo and pouch and release. Make sure that ammo is dead center in the pouch, and the pouch is even on both sides. Make sure that when coming up to full draw, that you don't slightly roll that ammo back down behind your index finger. Then release release release!! A bum release will give you fits. Hope this helps. practice for a week and let us know how you are doing.
That's sound advice SJaaz......and thanks for the encouragement.....as you say the release is the ultimate hurdle ......to perfect that is a major achievement which I dare say no one has ALL the time.....here's where I'm at now (see the pic).....I've reigned things in a little....not expecting the gold medal....but I think I'm improving as I become more relaxed about the "obsession" which is slingshotting.... Wood Rectangle Handwriting Font Tree

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.