Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here tried making a frame from Ironwood? Apparently "Ironwood" is a nick-name for a large number of hardwoods. A co-worker gave me a piece with the deal that I make him a frame in the spring time. The piece is 7/8" thick x 32" long so I should get a few frames from it. The useable width is 4 1/4" (inside the side grooves). Apparently this stuff is very hard. It sure is heavy in weight and dark in color. The pics show some oak boards beside the Ironwood.

Any problems with using this wood?
Will Danish Oil (Linseed base) dry on it? It's likely an oily wood.
I read that some sawdusts can cause health issues. Any known problems with ironwood?

Many thanks,
Northerner

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
I'm not aware that ironwood is use for various woods. I only know desert ironwood and I haven't seen any that looks like that. Yours may be hard, but I couldn't say for sure by looking at the picture.

Problems with D.I. include burning on the belt, sudden cracking, splitting and chipping out, and impermeability to dyes and oils.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I don't think that this is desert ironwood. A plank like that would be VERY rare if made from DI, and outrageously expensive.

But wikipedia lists almost 30 wood types that are all called "Ironwood", here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironwood

In general, I did not find DI hard to work with (not after all my steel frames). It will have cracks and oil will not be soaked up well, but I don't think oiling it is necessary. Just polish it and you are good to go.

Regards

Jörg

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
That's either IPE (Brazilian Walnut) or Brazilian Cherry. At least that's what I can tell from looking at it from my phone.

·
Slingshots Canada
708 Posts
Yes Ironwood is a general term used for many trees, The ironwood that grows around here is tough stuff, The fibers grow interleaved, Logs of it are near impossible to split without a hydrolic splitter.

Cheers

·
Tex-shooter
4,461 Posts
There are trees in the Midwest that the trunks looks like it has muscles, which are called iron wood also. I don't know the proper name for them. -- Tex-Shooter

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Thanks a lot of the info guys.

I compared weight of the "Ironwood" to Oak. The full width of the ironwood board, including the edge grooves, is 5 1/2".

Oak Board - 48" x 5 1/2" x 3/4" = 5 lbs 10 oz
Ironwood Board - 32" x 5 1/2" x 7/8" = 5 lb 15 oz

Here are a couple of close-up end pics and a grain pic from the side. I'll have to find some IPE and Desert Ironwood pics online for comparison. The guy I got the wood from called it ironwood and said that it was used for an expensive deck. I'm starting to think it might be IPE. Here is a quote from a web site: http://www.abswood.com/
"Ipe Wood Decking
: Brazilian hardwood Decking such as Ipe sometimes called Ironwood hardwood decking is real wood that provides unsurpassed durability and beauty."

Cheers,
Northerner

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,029 Posts
Hey Todd,
I think that's IPE ( Brazilian Walnut ) Hard and dense. You'll get some real nice frames out of that plank. Looks real clean Bud! Flatband

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Many thanks guys! I think we have it figured out. Brazilian Walnut (aka IPE). Nice looking wood. Now I have to wait a couple of months for the weather to cooperate so I can cut and sand outside.

Thanks,
Northerner/Todd

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Many thanks guys! I think we have it figured out. Brazilian Walnut (aka IPE). Nice looking wood. Now I have to wait a couple of months for the weather to cooperate so I can cut and sand outside.

Thanks,
Northerner/Todd
It does have a high janka score. Only a handful of woods score higher. But it can be difficult to machine. It tends to splinter and chip very easily. I think it's better suited as the middle layer of a laminate. Good luck with it.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
The ironwood around here,in Pa.grows in the bottoms and is only 4 or 5" in dia.I can't think of the right name for it now.propably when I turn the computer off I will think of it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.