Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been known to try a lot of different hobbies in my time. I'm currently active in cycling and coffee roasting, dabble a little in guitar, but I seem to wake up thinking slingshots and go to bed thinking slingshots, in some fashion or the other.

What's weird is, I haven't yet been able to consistently and reliably get a piece of ammo downrange. When I do, I seem to be pretty much on target, but my confidence level in my release is severely lacking. Much of my technique problem is due to the lack of practice time. I keep getting interrupted by darkness, coyotes, so on and so forth. Then, couple that with the fact that I haven't brought the Mrs. up to speed with my new interest, yet (I can already hear her eyes rolling). You see, I have had a lot of passing "interests" that never make it to fruition. I lose interest before I ever spend any/much money. I save a lot of the eye rolling thing by doing it that way and she doesn't really need to know the level of sickness coursing through my brain. What this means is, I really can't commit to a lit place to play outside, just yet. All that will change very soon, because I have it bad.

I already own two slings and just ordered a third. I bought some 3/8 ammo and have a few accessories. It's so inexpensive, fun and challenging. If that's not bad enough, I've also been bitten by the building bug. I want to make a slingshot, or two. I'm gearing up to make my own bandsets and last night, I discovered ISCORE. What the heck? I want in on the fun! So, maybe the ISCORE thing will have to wait a minute.... At least until I cure my release woes/confidence, but i can see where this hobby offers a lot to keep one entertained for quite some time!

Seriously, though..... is it always going to be like this? Is there a slingshot 12 step program?

Mark

·
Mojave Mo
5,157 Posts
I've been known to try a lot of different hobbies in my time. I'm currently active in cycling and coffee roasting, dabble a little in guitar, but I seem to wake up thinking slingshots and go to bed thinking slingshots, in some fashion or the other.

What's weird is, I haven't yet been able to consistently and reliably get a piece of ammo downrange. When I do, I seem to be pretty much on target, but my confidence level in my release is severely lacking. Much of my technique problem is due to the lack of practice time. I keep getting interrupted by darkness, coyotes, so on and so forth. Then, couple that with the fact that I haven't brought the Mrs. up to speed with my new interest, yet (I can already hear her eyes rolling). You see, I have had a lot of passing "interests" that never make it to fruition. I lose interest before I ever spend any/much money. I save a lot of the eye rolling thing by doing it that way and she doesn't really need to know the level of sickness coursing through my brain. What this means is, I really can't commit to a lit place to play outside, just yet. All that will change very soon, because I have it bad.

I already own two slings and just ordered a third. I bought some 3/8 ammo and have a few accessories. It's so inexpensive, fun and challenging. If that's not bad enough, I've also been bitten by the building bug. I want to make a slingshot, or two. I'm gearing up to make my own bandsets and last night, I discovered ISCORE. What the heck? I want in on the fun! So, maybe the ISCORE thing will have to wait a minute.... At least until I cure my release woes/confidence, but i can see where this hobby offers a lot to keep one entertained for quite some time!

Seriously, though..... is it always going to be like this? Is there a slingshot 12 step program?

Mark
Sounds like you are on track to me?! It helps to recall being 6 years old with your first sling. You ONLY thought about hitting something. You didn't know what a 'release' was, you found your 'ammo' laying around, your sling was from the 'Five and Dime', and you got the rubber bands from the newspaper. In a way, to much knowledge will overheat the brain!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't forget to make shooting videos :)
I was seriously questioning the hows and whys of the mirrors and all that to take shooting videos. Nice, but I wondered how that came to be a thing, until I read the ISCORE requirements. OK, I get it. Somebody needs to make a video about how to make a video!

Mark

·
aka CYBORG
2,060 Posts
Yup, you're toast but you have lotsa company. Stage 4 is imminent ... soon you'll be giggling and ranting like the chief inspector in a Pink Panther movie. Resistance is definitely futile, there's no known cure ... even antibiotics and 100 step programs are useless. Just surrender to it - invest in a monogrammed drool cup and skip merrily down this road like the rest of us happy idiots.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For me, with the marksmanship and DIY aspects, slingshots have a lot of the same things that I enjoy from other hobbies. Add in the low cost and easy access in terms of not needing a lot of space or special area, and it's a really engaging hobby.
I think that's it, in a nutshell. I have limited space, but this hobby doesn't require that much. The inexpensive nature is huge, too.

Mark

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup, you're toast but you have lotsa company. Stage 4 is imminent ... soon you'll be giggling and ranting like the chief inspector in a Pink Panther movie. Resistance is definitely futile, there's no known cure ... even antibiotics and 100 step programs are useless. Just surrender to it - invest in a monogrammed drool cup and skip merrily down this road like the rest of us happy idiots.
LOL!! Lost Wages, huh? We were just there over Thanksgiving, visiting family. I had my slings with me, too, though they never came out of my backpack.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
6,676 Posts
Welcome to the plague MarkB! The illness has hit you. Enjoy it. You have arrived!!!

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Mark, this shooting thing is a poser until you finally get it.

Hint:

Get a BIG piece of paper or cardboard, draw an X right through the middle of it. Now get right up on it. 10 feet aint to close. Load and fire at the exact center. Now remember, That pill has to be right on top of your index finger. Look down make sure the pouch holes are right over each other. Line those bands up. Fire 5 or 10 shots, don't worry about where they go, just keep elbow straight, wrist straight, thumb knuckle down, ad nausiam, bla bla bla.

After ten, look and see where they went. Don't move back until you are getting nice groups from there.

Hope this helps if not ask the coyote she's a natural born hunter.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mark, this shooting thing is a poser until you finally get it.
Hint:
Get a BIG piece of paper or cardboard, draw an X right through the middle of it. Now get right up on it. 10 feet aint to close. Load and fire at the exact center. Now remember, That pill has to be right on top of your index finger. Look down make sure the pouch holes are right over each other. Line those bands up. Fire 5 or 10 shots, don't worry about where they go, just keep elbow straight, wrist straight, thumb knuckle down, ad nausiam, bla bla bla.
After ten, look and see where they went. Don't move back until you are getting nice groups from there.
Hope this helps if not ask the coyote she's a natural born hunter.
Good stuff... Thank you!

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mark be assured that you are not alone. The only thing I have over you is that I'm retired and have plenty of time to practice. I've been hitting it hard for 2 1/2 months. Some may snicker at the fact that I can only keep my shots on an 8 1/2 x 11 inch sheet of white paper with a 10 cm black circle in the middle. I'm inconsistent too. When I think I'm getting it and I come back to where I left off, and my progress goes south.

This week I'm trying something new. I am concentrating on nothing but holding as steady as I can and following through after my release. Shot after shot, I don't care where I'm hitting. The only thing I care about is if I held steady and followed through. It is rare when my hold is exactly where it was after release.

Do not be discouraged. The fine folks here will share their knowledge and help us get better.

'drif

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mark be assured that you are not alone. The only thing I have over you is that I'm retired and have plenty of time to practice. I've been hitting it hard for 2 1/2 months. Some may snicker at the fact that I can only keep my shots on an 8 1/2 x 11 inch sheet of white paper with a 10 cm black circle in the middle. I'm inconsistent too. When I think I'm getting it and I come back to where I left off, and my progress goes south.

This week I'm trying something new. I am concentrating on nothing but holding as steady as I can and following through after my release. Shot after shot, I don't care where I'm hitting. The only thing I care about is if I held steady and followed through. It is rare when my hold is exactly where it was after release.

Do not be discouraged. The fine folks here will share their knowledge and help us get better.

'drif
Thanks, drif, I appreciate the encouragement. Actually, today my shooting was leaps and bounds better. When I get the release right, I'm pretty much on target (big target, OK?). For now, I'm happy to shoot six or seven times at a time and focusing on my release, this has seemingly helped me to not maintain bad habits. Tomorrow night, I intend to have a bit more of a marathon session and will hopefully get some more kinks worked out.

Sneaky... I have watched the SS videos, but that was before I even drew back a piece of ammunition. I need to go back and watch again and apply. Thanks again for all the encouragement!

Mark

1 - 20 of 32 Posts