Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
So Many Marbles ------------- So Little Time ;-)
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a tube guy, just because I'm lazy and tubes work, but it seems that more and more folks are using flats ? I have slings that can use flats and I do use them sometimes. I use flats on my naturals and I have a few Simple Shot Scouts that use flats. My F16's are set up with gypsy ties and I can use flats in those if I wish, but I prefer tubes just for the ease of making elastic sets and tubes in my experience last longer.

How many of you tube shooters have gone to shooting flats and have found them superior to tubes ? looking at the Chinese shooters, they have gone to flats, the incredible Vietnam shooters also use flats.

Am I the last of the few that are tube shooters, or is it just the "THING" to do now ?

wll

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Interesting observation, I had not noticed. I suppose flatbands are the standard type that come with most modern slingshots nowadays so new shooters might not always branch out and try tubes.

Part of the reason could also be that folks seem to achieve accuracy faster with flats than with tubes. With some of the improvements to longevity in the last couple years flatbands just might be getting more attention. I think every shooter should try both flats and tubes cuz you might "click" with one more than the other.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
For me, it's always been flat bands - largely because of the unlimited options in terms of band lengths, widths, and taper as opposed to tubes. Flat bands are inherently more accurate given their constant position on the forks, and the fact that one can aim via the bands very efficiently (OTT).

Flat bands give a better yield when it comes to power output, and achieve this with lower draw weights as compared to tubes. Unlike flat band rubber of the past, the Chinese flat band rubber such as the "Precise" or "Sumeike" brands have very good longevity i.e. 400-500 shots or more with the same band set are no problem (assuming you are using steel ammo).

Most competitive slingshot shooting at 10 - 15 yards seems to be based on the use of flat bands these days.

All that said, it is a matter of personal preferences according to the slingshot and shooting style involved: no need to follow the crowd.

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
For me it depends where I am and which frame I have.

I love single tubes on tabs. Tubes in in kayak and pack.

But to be fair my flat bands are sinilar to tubes lately...Usopp.7mm x 6mm(1/4") x 6" acts a lot like 1632 x5 1/4" on tabs.

Flats in my vehicle and indoor range.

My friend has joined me in shooting, but new to much of the particulars. I explianed flats versus tubes like this.
"Flats are more fiddly, but easy to become consistent at first. Tubes are more durable & less fiddly, but takes a beat to become consistent."

Attachments

·
aka CYBORG
1,988 Posts
I own and can shoot both, but I prefer tubes 10:1 - much quieter and for me, more accurate. With modern Malaysian or domestic tubing, I can usually get over a 1000 shots before failure, often more.

During the 90's, I was using Marksman tube shooters exclusively - when I revisited slingshots in '14, I ordered a Scout and a couple of Dankung tube shooters, which explains part of my bias. Plus, tying is problematic so unless there's an attachment method other than wrap & tuck (flip clips, Chicago Screws, tape, etc), I pass on finicky flats.

BTW, In late October, Dankung debuted a 'new edition' 1632. IMO, fans of that size are prolly going to like it ... hard to describe but it feels faster and a bit more crisp ... costs about a dollar more.

A trend I'll never embrace is the huge rush towards mostly complicated and gimmicky sighting systems (don't drop it) - IMO, they diminish a lot of the art and skill of traditional sling shooting, analogous to self driving cars or scopes on target pistols. I'm in a happy niche and really don't care what trends the top competitors in China are following.

·
Neophyte
2,000 Posts
I enjoy both flats and tubes. I often shoot both in the same trip to the range. It just depends on the frame, some are more suited to one or the other at least in my opinion.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I use tubes because that's what works for me. I can buy tubes locally from Wally World or Academy when my tube bands get nicked up or worn out and I can't wait to have them delivered. I've tried flat bands and I'm not able to get the same kind of accuracy as I get with tubes. I'm a tube shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
A trend I'll never embrace is the huge rush towards mostly complicated and gimmicky sighting systems (don't drop it) - IMO, they diminish a lot of the art and skill of traditional sling shooting, analogous to self driving cars or scopes on target pistols. I'm in a happy niche and really don't care what trends the top competitors in China are following.
I have a laser slingshot. Somehow, I'm not accurate with it. I'm far more accurate with my "Bone Collector" wrist starship and my little natural, both of which I aim somewhat instinctively.

That said, I do embrace the idea. If I could make it work on a slingshot, I'd love it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
As others have said, flat bands provide the ability to better customize your rig to your style of shooting. I generally find flats more accurate than tubes, and so that's what I shoot mostly. But when it comes to shooting rocks, my trusty FS-1 fitted with custom amber dipped latex medium tubes and a nice large 'rock-pouch' is my preferred 'go-to' rig.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Me? I'm a flat bander 95%. I've morphed into peg head forks and like it. I can visually see if my bands are properly aligned and aid in my shooting. Not that I'm a great shot, far from it. It helps. Tubes are hard to tell if you have a twist in them. Flats can be cut and tuned as needed.

Just my :twocents:, others and more experienced shooters might have :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: more to say about it though.

'drif

·
Ray Rowden
2,430 Posts
I shoot both, for all the reasons mentioned above.

I agree with wll, flats are getting more attention. My speculation is that there are so many vendors selling sets of tapered flats now. That makes for a lot of convenience.

·
Aimstinctivist
774 Posts
I'm a Bandy. I think about shooting tubes on the 11th of every month for about 14 minutes. The time of day varies.

Green tea helps perish the thought...

When I was a child I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, and I reasoned as a child.

When I became a man I stopped shooting tubes altogether.

-II Retractions 8: 9-10

1 - 20 of 38 Posts