Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
I was confused before I read a lot these post - After reading them I'm totally confused!

I would think it would be best for a Green P such as me to buy one (1) slingshot - One only - good quality - acquire a big bag of quality projectiles of the same size & weight - Stay with the same combo until they reach a level of marksmanship they were happy with. I'm not ready to worry about red bands, green bands, black bands, flat bands, tubes - all i want for 'now' is a good quality slingshot. Sounds simple enough?

I see new guys coming here like me and asking for advice & all of a sudden folks who mean well are asking - Hey! - need more information. I would guess 99% are just like me, they want to get into the sport or bring their kids or grandkids into the sport and want some advice on a good quality slingshot they can take out to the back yard & kill some Pepsi cans. I don't think a very large percentage here shoot in formal matches, maybe I'm wrong?

I built custom firearms, big game rifles for many years. I always suggested to a new client - maybe new to guns? to take his rifle & use it on everything from ground squirrels to paper targets. Get to know the rifle like was his right hand, get out there long before big game season if possible. There are hundreds of different calibers of rifles but if a client wanted an "all around rifle" I could suggest maybe a 243 or 6mm - that would cover everything from Varmints to Whitetails - Shooting adult air rifles? a guy can use a .177 for everything from fieldtarget to hunting - yes a .22 cal might be a better choice for hunting (thats my choie for hunting) but a good shooter who knows his .177 will make cleaner kills more kills than a guy with 6 big dollar custom air rifles from .177 to .25 cal. but doesn't know any of them very well.

Maybe this slingshot thing is just a different deal? I'll shut up now & go back in my cage - I think a lot out loud sometimes.
www.twhudsonengraver.com

·
Registered
72 Posts
I hear ya. I'm new too. I just got a crossman wrist rocket for Christmas. A month later, I'm trying to get my hands on some high quality hardwoods, rolling my own clay ammo, and drawing up a new concept for a catch box.

Anyways, I'd say the best thing to do is check out the vendors section in the forums. I like the designs that Bill Hays comes up with and I've modeled a couple frames off of his. While I haven't tried any from A+ they seem to be a very logical and sturdy style that would probably be perfect to get yourself or grandchild started.

Good luck!

-Jake

·
No other shooting sport compares.
6,434 Posts
I agree. Shoot a slingshot until you are dead on ... however that is easier said than done. Soon you have 20 custom frames and 10 you have made yourself. And playing with bands is fun...

·
Resigned
5,547 Posts
Since you have skills that most may not you would do well to cut your own shooter out of plywood. Some on this forum would offer you a design. I think Tex and DayHiker has posted a drawing before. As far as the bands well tubes sold in stores a simple attachment would be sufficient. Start by shooting close say 5 feet and work your way from there just soft shooting and not to try to kill a can. Marbles are your best bet, nice, uniform, easy to see where your shot is going. There can be some technical stuff talked about but what you want to do is just get started then you can branch out later with all of the variations that the tech specks have for you. I ended up cutting my own after buying all the types sold in stores and also bought some custom costly beauties of solid wood and broke all of them in short order and the varieties of bands. Simply put, when your ready for flatbands that will not disappoint you buy them from Tex Shooter, If you end up liking shooting steel get the RayShot Magnetic Pouches they are easy to load and the shot automatically centers. Perhaps I too have added to the confusion.

·
Resigned
2,845 Posts
you gotta see the logic in the mans rant but you have to play with more than one to know what suits you most. once you find a style you are comfy with stick to that.... unless you love the different styles n shapes an the fiddlin wif bands n bits of leather n stuff

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
The thing is so many of us shoot for different reasons and have different styles. Alot of people here are trying to push the envelope, find the smallest, fastest, most powerful, most accurate etc. that tends to mean things are in a constant state of flux with the newest thing always coming out. Me I like things pretty simple, I make and shoot naturals plus I have a couple from Flatband and a couple from Milbroproshot that I shoot regularly, all are simple straight forward slingshots.

If anyone ever asks my oppinion I always point them to one of the vendors here and tell them ask questions, or just go out into the woods and find a good stick...all of us get into slingshot for different reasons, so as much as I'ld like to say every new shooter should start out with X slingshot I don't think it's possible.

When I shoot rifles I shoot a 50 yr old .22 single shot bolt action, My air rifle is a 30 yr old .20 Sheridan Bluestreak, I doubt many others hear would find those suitable but they fit me to a tee..

·
Tex-shooter
4,461 Posts
OK I am cynical, but just maybe it was just a way to put in an ad without paying a venders fee! -- Tex-Shooter

·
Tex-shooter
4,461 Posts
Dqui, if you read the bottom Abraham Licoln quote in my post you know my major problem!
-- Tex-Shooter

·
Resigned
5,547 Posts
Tex, that is why I wrote what I wrote. That quote is one of the finest and I have made both serious and futile attempts at the very thing I believe the most. I most believe it for myself.

Oh Lord put a watch on my mouth.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
I was confused before I read a lot these post - After reading them I'm totally confused!

I would think it would be best for a Green P such as me to buy one (1) slingshot - One only - good quality - acquire a big bag of quality projectiles of the same size & weight - Stay with the same combo until they reach a level of marksmanship they were happy with. I'm not ready to worry about red bands, green bands, black bands, flat bands, tubes - all i want for 'now' is a good quality slingshot. Sounds simple enough?

I see new guys coming here like me and asking for advice & all of a sudden folks who mean well are asking - Hey! - need more information. I would guess 99% are just like me, they want to get into the sport or bring their kids or grandkids into the sport and want some advice on a good quality slingshot they can take out to the back yard & kill some Pepsi cans. I don't think a very large percentage here shoot in formal matches, maybe I'm wrong?

I built custom firearms, big game rifles for many years. I always suggested to a new client - maybe new to guns? to take his rifle & use it on everything from ground squirrels to paper targets. Get to know the rifle like was his right hand, get out there long before big game season if possible. There are hundreds of different calibers of rifles but if a client wanted an "all around rifle" I could suggest maybe a 243 or 6mm - that would cover everything from Varmints to Whitetails - Shooting adult air rifles? a guy can use a .177 for everything from fieldtarget to hunting - yes a .22 cal might be a better choice for hunting (thats my choie for hunting) but a good shooter who knows his .177 will make cleaner kills more kills than a guy with 6 big dollar custom air rifles from .177 to .25 cal. but doesn't know any of them very well.

Maybe this slingshot thing is just a different deal? I'll shut up now & go back in my cage - I think a lot out loud sometimes.
www.twhudsonengraver.com
just a thought and with a non accusatory motive;

A problem clearly defined is 80 % solved. Are you are figuring out the 20% of the equation?

The 80 %, Perhaps, if you are getting confused you aren't as sure as to what you really want from the slingshot world.
The 20% Or like many products today you realize the options are many and there is a learning curve to narrow what choices will suit your true desire.
0% There is no hope and you are already on your way to being hooked and addicted to the fun and variety and realize it isn't necessary to have one item on the menu to be proficient with, but you can enjoy some of the buffet and it isn't so easy to make up your mind.

For me, I knew once I started I wanted to know what all the variety was about, so I could find what I wanted. I am an addict.
I want it all.

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,147 Posts
It's pretty hard to tell a beginner what to do because you can't.

I am not expert and have not been into this hobby for long, and didn't realize that at first the hammer grip I wanted to use was not good for the band strength I wanted to shoot (I'm not as strong as Joerg). So I had to go to a finger-and-thumb supported grip. There is no way anyone could have guessed my strength-to-desired way of shooting. Although I could have learned this from Tex if he'd posted about it in time.

But if I were to advise a newbie what to do, I'd say buy one of Perry's slingshots and use it like he shows in his latest video. It's the quickest and best way to become a good slingshot marksman. Or you can also get the same result with a Flatband ergo. Third choice would be a Bill Hays Predator series, (but you are kinda locked into holding sideways with them -- but they will force you into a consistent grip to make up for it). If you stick to it with any of these shooters, along bandsets from either Flatband or A+ or Tex-Shooter, you will develop your skills in the fastest way possible.

Again, I am not an expert. But if you pushed me into a corner and made me say something, that's what I would say.

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
My two cents. I started with a Saunders Hawk set up with Tex bands and foam grip, he sells them for next to nothing. Shoots great, inexpensive, very easy band attachment and adjustment. Great SS to learn with. If that satisfies you, great you have what you want. I doubt that you will be however. I didn't find my perfect set up yet, I now have about 13 slingshots, some of the best customs and 5 I have made my self. I am still searching and thats the fun of it all. Jump in man, the water is fine.
Philly

·
Registered
104 Posts
My two cents. I started with a Saunders Hawk set up with Tex bands and foam grip, he sells them for next to nothing. Shoots great, inexpensive, very easy band attachment and adjustment. Great SS to learn with. If that satisfies you, great you have what you want. I doubt that you will be however. I didn't find my perfect set up yet, I now have about 13 slingshots, some of the best customs and 5 I have made my self. I am still searching and thats the fun of it all. Jump in man, the water is fine.
Philly
Thanks Philly - I think i'm going to buy one from Bill - i enjoyed his video's on the tube & he has been helpful - looks like several good builders out here I have only eliminated one vendor. Couple pix's of some of my shooting club -
I'm sure i'll be buying more than just one in the future - forum is very helpful. The first pix is Chris who is a foster child who really enjoys being out side - he's all boy for sure - this is the child i had in mind when i poated asking about what bands to use for a 6 year old kid. tom

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.