Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Something strange is happening now that I changed technique, something very very strange. First of all, I feel cramped shooting at 10m, but this probably because my eyes are used at shooting 40-70m (not with a slingshot). What's really strange though, is that when I shoot at unknown distances, up to around 30m, I don't see a lower point of impact. I shoot the same way of course, and the ammo most definitely does drop, it's physics, but I don't understand why my elevation is good even though I don't adjust for it.
There are only two ways this is happening, extreme speed, which isn't impossible, as I've increased my draw length considerably, OR.....I adjust unconsciously.
With a fixed anchor I can adjust unconsciously, but it has a hard limit, and I can't shoot even at 15m without some concious adjustments, now with my long draw, I just don't even think about distance, and distance, in turn, gives me no troubles, apart from the obvious group enlargement of course.
This, by the way, reinforces my opinion that a long draw has some clear benefits.
What do think guys?

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL - thought you said that instinctive shooting doesn't happen :)
Sounds like thats what is going on to me...
Hahaha, it's not really instinctive, as I do line up the bands, and reference the fork tip so as to aim. Its just that a part of aiming is left to the subconscious, which I know full well that is happening, as the focus shouldn't be on aiming but on form anyway.
The thing is, that this elevation correction, is happening with a long draw and not with a fixed anchor. It must be a combination of flatter trajectory and....auto-correction ☺

·
Premium Member
9,583 Posts
The mind is an amazing thing. After a task is performed enough times the mind knows exactly what to do. Try your best to get out of its way. Focus only on the target, the frame should appear only in your peripheral vision.
It's the reason in competition if you try too hard and try to control your subconscious, you shoot lick crap.
This explains the "in the zone" phonominon. The subconscious is being left alone to do its thing

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aaaah, I really feel reborn now that I shoot the way I started! Sometimes, we just happen to end right at the beginning ????

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
Welcome to my world. I haven't aimed a slingshot in years.

Generally, one or two shots and a sense of how strong the bands are and you're on your way. It's one of the reasons I get a kick out of everyones "most accurate" slingshot".

It's amazing how your brain takes over.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to my world. I haven't aimed a slingshot in years.

Generally, one or two shots and a sense of how strong the bands are and you're on your way. It's one of the reasons I get a kick out of everyones "most accurate" slingshot".

It's amazing how your brain takes over.
Well, to be frank, I do aim for windage. Generally, I aim, but I don't focus on aiming if that makes sense. In my opinion, total focus should be on form, and aiming should get the back seat, allowing no more than 3 seconds of aiming. More than 3 seconds and focus is lost, it's the limitations of the human brain. Now, there are exceptions, sometimes I just need an extra second to get the feel, or a couple seconds less. That's assuming normal aiming, which is totally different than rifle aiming, where the focus is indeed on aiming.
Now, if someone, like you, doesn't aim at all...that's another matter altogether, but I can't do it yet!
To give am example, after the shot, if you ask me how I aimed, where I focused etc, I really can't answer, I just don't pay attention to it, but I still call it aiming :)

·
Premium Member
4,008 Posts
The word "instinct" or "Instinctive" pertains to abilities that a person or animal is born with... No one (that I know of) has ever been born with the innate ability to shoot a slingshot accurately.

BUT, through practice.... shooting various frames at various distances, with differing draw weights and differing ammo sizes and weights.... your brain will develop, over time, the ability to govern your muscle memory....

Muscle memory is the key to what most perceive as "instinctive" shooting... Most will start with and aiming style and technique and then over time "remember" where to hold, the correct "feel" and the best angle... It can get to a point where conscious aiming isn't even necessary anymore, yet a person can still hit the target.

Then there's others... who start with kind of throwing or projecting the ammo and not using a formal aiming style... In my opinion it takes longer to develop the muscle memory necessary to pull off the same quality of shots as someone who started as as "aimer".... but I do believe that ultimately, with enough practice, either style can be achieved and mastered with similar end result.

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
I think sometimes we do try too hard and not let the muscle memory we train do the work for us.

Today for me was a very good day, I was practicing using the world cup target at work in the stock room. As there was only two of us in due to sickness, my real attention was for voices downstairs as my colleague was on his own.

Going through the motions I realised as I was floating across the target and releasing they were all going in the black. Probably will be a long time before I can repeat the performance, but was interesting seeing what not over trying can sometimes achieve.

·
Registered
231 Posts
So does the 10.000 hours still apply to get adequate with a slingshots as with anything else? :( Are there rly no shortcuts....?
The shortcut is quality and having fun, one day it clicks and just has to be remembered lol
Quality can allways be better, but i had to go for a bigger target (can) to have more fun (hitting it more). I kinda had a regression with aiming. But on the positive side i now shoot equally bad with all my styles (PFS, OTT, TTF). :imslow:

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
So does the 10.000 hours still apply to get adequate with a slingshots as with anything else? :( Are there rly no shortcuts....?
The shortcut is quality and having fun, one day it clicks and just has to be remembered lol
Quality can allways be better, but i had to go for a bigger target (can) to have more fun (hitting it more). I kinda had a regression with aiming. But on the positive side i now shoot equally bad with all my styles (PFS, OTT, TTF). :imslow:
Consistency is good lol All us mere morals go through stages where it all falls apart, part of the challenge of slingshots, but it comes back

·
Registered
566 Posts
What intrigues and delights me is how I've gone from utterly hopeless, to fair, to good to now being a bit annoyed if I miss.

Taken about 18 months, but nailing the target is now the norm. Thank you brain for finally getting onside. It's a nice change from being such a reliable disappointment.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I’ve shot every day for that year and a half Uba, never without a catty of some description and if you do a bit of research on form and some conscientious practice the gods will definitely start lining up.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Uba, the whole game is form. You need to get in line, which basically means that there should be a straight line going from the target all the way to the pouch. That means that the arm holding the frame, is in a very slight angle to the target. Straight frame holding arm, low shoulders, correct direction of the release, follow through, consistent pouch hold that doesn't induce a change in direction, no torquing the frame which is achieved by a very light frame hold, hips parallel to the target or slightly open with a torso twist, frame and both shoulders in line, focus on form and less focus on aiming-max 3 seconds etc etc.
As you see, the list goes on and on, so there really can't be any shortcut. You just need to conciously practice everything, to the point that it becomes automatic. That is the beauty of the sport, it's apparent simplicity, which hides a very complex process, all the while having immense fun!

Reactions: rosco
1 - 20 of 27 Posts