Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Rule #14
1,519 Posts
Hey guys!

"Is that some kind of ............... model scale torpedo?" says my brother ...

I've been making this one for awhile now ... probably around 10hours worth of work. It's my 2nd mini design that i drew up on CAD and it feels and shoots well for me.
I designed this frame so my middle finger could wrap around the narrow waist and still comfortably hold it by the finger/thumb support.

The Original PFS design by DGUI is a great design and has great success, but it just didn't suit my style of shooting.

Some basic info/material used.

Tried a new finish - 'sand blasted' which has been blasted with aluminium oxide micron abrasives. Texture is unbelievably awesome !
I really like how it came out, i did not like polish/high grit finish on copper. Sand blasting is simple and leaves a nice consistent matte finish/texture.

Copper Alloy (Downside, it oxidises fast. There is already patina of my fingerprints all over the frame - looks quite cool though)

Width - 50mm
Shooting gap - 12mm
Length - 130mm
thickness - 6.34mm (1/4")

Handles - bleached denim epoxy laminate with blue spacers.

I've made a few changes here and there from the original design.

(I hope this photo shows the texture ... )

(ready for hunting ... feral tin cans )

Thanks for viewing

My Original DKC Minishooter design with PDF download - http://slingshotforu...c-mini-shooter/

·
HOBBYIST-SOPHOMORIC-JACKA$$
8,259 Posts
once that copper starts turning colors on you, its gonna look amazing !

·
Wow! Yew make a nice bow.
280 Posts
Danny that is SICK! The sandblasting looks great, and the oxidation will look pretty cool too! Whats this thing weigh?

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Your levels of skills are of a different dimension!!! Good for the sport to have such gifted artisans

Congratulations!!...It's an awesome work
Q

·
Rule #14
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Man, now THAT I would love to shoot. That would be one of my EDC fo sho!!!

LGD
EDC slingshots?

once that copper starts turning colors on you, its gonna look amazing !
Yup! after some good use, the patina is going to look awesome.

Danny that is SICK! The sandblasting looks great, and the oxidation will look pretty cool too! Whats this thing weigh?
Weight - i have no idea .... but it's not light for sure.

gorgeous dude, you rock the metals like no kid i know!
Thanks man

Your levels of skills are of a different dimension!!! Good for the sport to have such gifted artisans

Congratulations!!...It's an awesome work
Your work is amazing too!

Wow stunning, the sand blasted metal looks great, all looks great, double thumbs up
Thanks Mr.Teh ... i really like the sand blasted finish also

Killer Danny! The micarta is really working out well! What a design! What a slingshot!!
Micarta has a nice texture and weight ... thats one of the main reasons why i make it

Thanks everyone for the positive comments/feedback!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Really love this piece too Danny. Copper is fantastic stuff and I would never have thought to use it as a SS, but there you have it. Wunnerfu, wunnerfull result!

I hadn't heard of micarta before so I just looked it up here - http://www.cartercrafts.com/micarta.htm and now I'm busting to give it a whirl. If you don't mind my asking - have you found much black magic involved in the process Danny? Seems relatively straight forward, but I'm wondering about your thoughts on it.

·
Rule #14
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Really love this piece too Danny. Copper is fantastic stuff and I would never have thought to use it as a SS, but there you have it. Wunnerfu, wunnerfull result!

I hadn't heard of micarta before so I just looked it up here - http://www.cartercra...com/micarta.htm and now I'm busting to give it a whirl. If you don't mind my asking - have you found much black magic involved in the process Danny? Seems relatively straight forward, but I'm wondering about your thoughts on it.
Copper is pretty cool stuff, and it's expensive.

In matter of fact that link is the exact one i followed for my first one. It's a great tutorial and it's fun to make. If you're planning to make some make sure you soak the material in epoxy/polyester resin ... it's better to have more than having less.

A good rule of thumb is to apply 10-12ml of epoxy each layer (my general 'layer' dimension is approx 40mm x 240mm) which is enough to soak the whole layer in resin.

For a pair of scales (approx 15-16 denim layers, thickness is give or take 6-8mm) 150ml of epoxy/polyester resin should be plenty ... and make sure you have plenty of clamps

For a full frame, i wouldn't have a clue?

Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts