Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have just ordered a "Ruler Trimmer with Cutter" from The Works (UK) for £5. Here is a video of it at work:

Nick Hegarty, who made this video (and is supplying my Precise rubber) has recommended the Ruler Trimmer as being much, much safer and easier to use than a rotary cutter.

What do you think?

Mike

·
OldMiser
3,543 Posts
Here in the USA I have seen them called a Quilting Ruler.....yes there very safe too use.....real spendy item tho...

My self for years have used a cutting mat a straight edge & rotary cutter....for very little invested..I only cut band sets as needed...2 sets a a session

so I really do n0t cut that many band sets.....May be a dozen in a years time.....as I also use tube's.....

Thanks for sharing your video....best too you my friend.....akaOldmiser

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here in the USA I have seen them called a Quilting Ruler.....yes there very safe too use.....real spendy item tho...

My self for years have used a cutting mat a straight edge & rotary cutter....for very little invested..I only cut band sets as needed...2 sets a a session

so I really do n0t cut that many band sets.....May be a dozen in a years time.....as I also use tube's.....

Thanks for sharing your video....best too you my friend.....akaOldmiser
Thanks for your comments - This ruler trimmer costs £5 complete here, that is US$ 6.28, so it is much cheaper than a decent rotary cutter and heavy ruler.

Mike

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I think that font and color combo is super hard to read.
That ruler thing looks fine as long as it's really sharp. If a roller cutter is too dangerous, though, maybe you shouldn't be cutting your own bands anyway. ..
I agree with MJ. The font and color of your posts make them difficult to read,especially on a phone. I usually skip over them. I agree with MJ about cutter too.

·
Registered
605 Posts
That ruler thing looks fine as long as it's really sharp. If a roller cutter is too dangerous, though, maybe you shouldn't be cutting your own bands anyway. ..
I agree with MJ. The font and color of your posts make them difficult to read,especially on a phone. I usually skip over them. I agree with MJ about cutter too.
+1

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I'll use default font and colour.

Mike

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
+1
OK, I'll use default font and colour.

Mike

·
Ray Rowden
2,656 Posts
This is certainly "a way" to cut bands.

I've been happy aligning the latex and ruler on the factory marking of the cutting mat and cutting with a rotary cutter.

That does limit me to 1/8-inch increments, but that works for me.

This method allows me to cut butterfly bands as long as my mat and ruler.

·
Amateur
2,576 Posts
I don't think there is one "best" way to cut flat bands, just like there is no "best" way to attach bands to a slingshot or to actually shoot the slingshot. Find what works best for you and that is the "best" way. I use one of these nifty little chinese band cutting guides. If I shot long butterfly bands like kawkan, this tool probably would not be "best" for that style of band.

Property Product Building Land lot Grass
Musical instrument accessory Rectangle Wood Auto part Font

Attachments

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
The key issue when using roll-cutters is protecting the fingers pressing down on the ruler: standard thin office rulers are definitely not a good idea. Something similar to this safety ruler sold at Amazon is the best option:

https://www.amazon.com/Folding-Guard-Use-Stanley-Leather-Quilting/dp/B01HI8U6TQ/ref=pd_sim_79_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01HI8U6TQ&pd_rd_r=446ed920-ffec-11e8-b252-797d8085bc39&pd_rd_w=6ERVW&pd_rd_wg=LlyJ2&pf_rd_p=18bb0b78-4200-49b9-ac91-f141d61a1780&pf_rd_r=TNS6HQYVM8ECZ79PKPKV&psc=1&refRID=TNS6HQYVM8ECZ79PKPKV

Even just mounting a section of wood (an inch or so high) on whatever ruler, to prevent exposed fingers if the roll-cutter accidentally crosses the cutting edge, is better than nothing for those seeking the cheapest option.

A roll-cutter ensures a clean cut along the bands, which the cutting ruler may or may not achieve every time: I prefer the former.

·
Premium Member
4,047 Posts
I've seen people use good sharp scissors with much success...

Me, I like to use a Guillotine paper cutter best. I've tried just about everything (except the laser) and always come back to the guillotine cutter. It's just a lot faster and easier to use than anything else I've used.

Plus, once the Zombie apocalypse happens... you've got real good knife/head basher when all else fails!

·
See The Target
21,996 Posts
1 - 20 of 58 Posts