Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Baz,

I am not an expert but what I have seen is a high quality plywood o 3/4 (18mm) will have 12 or more layers. At least what I am familiar with. I have tried the construction plywood, it has voids and the glue is thicker and glues are very hard. The thick layer of glue is not fun.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
My biggest beef with plywood is the tendency to split or splinter when cut and trouble getting a good finish. You need to buy the best.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
My biggest beef with plywood is the tendency to split or splinter when cut and trouble getting a good finish. You need to buy the best.
So true about getting the best. The high layer count like I mentioned. The splintering can be an issue, minor though. Once you learn the characteristics of the wood and how each tool rips at the wood, you will do ok. For instance I found it was best to router the grooves then router the edges. The finish sanding typically dealt with 95% of any thing left of the splintering. Most of the time, the splintering was my method/speed/lack of precision with the tool that gave the biggest issue with splintering.

And true about the finish. Especially if you are really picky. If you want a really smooth wood surface it can take a bit more work. Also if you want the finish you put on to be smooth and not show grain it is going to take more coats. Perhaps it sounds like it may not be worth it to use mulit ples and similar but it really is.

Even if you aren't as fussy about super smooth it will give you one nice, durable catty. You should try it. You will like it.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Baz i use mostly 18mm birch wood plywood, i think that maybe the lower grade stuff mate.

·
Banned
341 Posts
I have made a handful of the Baltic Birch plys. They seem to be working just fine with the heavy bands I use, but, I am still in the T&E stage right now a will reserve judgement until I finish the season. If they hold up for my season, they will be worth keeping...Frogman

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.